“Side Mount Diving” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The PADI IDC Resort "Caribbean Dive College" is your one stop for all your diving needs on St. Maarten. Your holiday fun dives as well as your PADI, National Geographic, DAN, DSAT or HSA (dive) course, from your very first try dive all the way to PADI Master Instructor, are organised and supervised by the highest qualified, multilingual dive staff you can wish for. The brand new, well maintained gear is the icing on the cake. Our staff are also the only qualified SNUBA guides on the island of St. Maarten.Diving and all underwater activities, you do with Caribbean Dive College! The island's only Nat Geo center!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Beckley, West Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Side Mount Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family and I enjoy our annual visits to St. Maarten for a number of reasons.....great weather, great food, good shopping, and.....lots of snorkeling and for me scuba diving. The folks at CDC have become not only teachers and mentors in scuba diving, but friends as well. They are absolutely great to dive with and be around.

This year I had heard about a new (to me) way to scuba dive called side mount diving. Michel at CDC mentioned it on their FB page so I checked it out. Instead of a tank on your back, this is tanks mounted on your side, giving you more safety and maneuverability. I wasn't sure if I should try something like this even though I am certified for advanced open water since I am 63 and wasn't sure exactly how this would work. Michel assured me I would do fine and would really enjoy it. He was right as usual. After two days of training and three dives, I am hooked! If you are coming to St. Maarten and enjoy diving, you need to check this out. Or, just plan a trip to come and learn this technique. Michel, Kelly and the staff at CDC will make sure you have a great time and come away with the skills you need to enjoy a new way of diving.

Visited January 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
“Diving St. Maarten from cruise ship”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

1/24/13 Thanks for great dives on the Carib Cargo and the Maze. From the cruise ship it was just a ten minute walk and a ten minute water taxi to Bobby's Marina. Kelly got us all signed in and then they got us all outfitted with gear. It was a 12 minute boat ride out to the first site. Down around the Cargo (wreck) we saw rays in the sand, spotted morays, schools of fish and a giant spiny lobster. The next site was about 15 minutes away. Down in the Maze we had tons of plant life, two sharks (which I missed), two beautiful spotted rays and four great swim throughs. Tons of little fish on both sites. They have a really good crew! See you next time! Rob and Susan, Raleigh, NC

Visited January 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful Diving Locations and Awesome Instructors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

During my stay in St. Maarten, I knew that I wanted to go Scuba Diving.One look at the beautiful waters and you just knew that the best parts were bebeath the surface. I went on my first dive and fell in love with everything about it. I decided at that moment to become a certified diver. Some months later, I became a certified Rescue Diver and took all my lessons at CDC. The staff are amazing and super helpful. They took the time to make sure I was comfortable in the water at all times and never rushed a session. My Dive instructor was Kelly, and with her outgoing personallity, the whole experience was fun. Her husband Michele is a pretty cool and laid back guy and a good counter to Kellys outgoing personality. The Captain of the Diveboat, Dale, was the man. Alot of great stories and great attitudes. Then there's Abbey, who had just become a full time Dive instructor and always knew the best spots and underwater hidden gems.
I was in St, Maarten for many months at a time so I got to know these guys very well and the divespots as well. You are certain to have a great time with these guys, whether you are with your family, or by yourself and just want to see some sunken ships, sea turtles or nurf shark. I fully reccommend CDC as it was an experience I will never forget.

Visited March 2012
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
99 attraction reviews
“Nice dive with very responsible team”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had just arrived in Philipsburg and I found Caribbean Dive College shop. They were getting arranged for a Discovery Scuba Dive what was perfect for my schedule. After filling out the forms, Michel (from Holland) introduced me to the crew team and I got on board. Paul (from UK) was very patient explaining giving us the instructions and Hillary (from US) was sweet and firm passing us the first skills before we get started on our dive. Hillary was checking on us during all times and took one of the guys to the boat earlier before he could run out of air. We got the chance to see a sinking boat, and even a helicopter under sea. We saw a lobster, a lion fish and some other small fishes. Not the best spot for diving, but good enough for a discovery diving. That was a good dive experience and I would dive with them again if back to Sint Maarten.

Visited November 2012
“Amazing vibe here - accommodating and flexible.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

They say that so much of your diving experience learning is based on your instructor. This is definitely a place with just that. Mitch was fantastic. I only wish that I could be back here every week to go on another diving adventure with him.