“Tamarind Hotel, Point Blanche” 4 of 5 stars

Tamarind Hotel
Goldfinch Rd, Pt Blanche, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
London, Canada
“Tamarind Hotel, Point Blanche”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I want to thank Paul Ingram and his wonderful staff for another great stay. We have been coming back to the the Tamarind for many many years and it's like visiting with family. A very comfortable and relaxing experience. Paul has recently taken over the management of the Tamarind and has been making significant improvements to the facilities. It's nice to see some TLC and updating being done to the grounds and units. We visit every February and it says something for the Tamarind that the friends we have made in past years are coming back again as well. I just got back yesterday and am missing my island family already... I am definitely looking forward to visiting again... B, London ON Canada

Room Tip: Basic, clean and friendly staff and management. The property behind the Tamarind raises fighting co...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Old Lyme, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending 8 days at the Tamarind Hotel and each day was nothing but fun from dawn to dusk. Every member of the staff we met where extremely pleasant and would gladly go out of their way to make our stay the best. Our room was very comfortable, immaculately clean and a pleasure to stay in. Paul, the managing director, has been lovingly upgrading the hotel and it is rapidly becoming something special. He is turning the grounds into botanical gardens with tropical plants to feast your eyes on. The Deli had excellent food to start off the day or enjoy for lunch. Each day we took the short walk into Phillipsburg to enjoy the boardwalk, beach and exceptional restaurants. We can't wait to return to St. Maarten and the Tamarind Hotel. We know it will once again be a very memorable vacation.
K and K, Old Lyme, CT

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed at the Tamarind for the month of January 2012. We had stayed for only one week last January. I can only use the comparison of two other properties we stayed at on St. Maarten for a month each time. We stayed at Great Bay Villas on Front St. twice and Ocean's on Front St. twice. I think the Tamarind is an older property but certainly taken care of properly. The unit we had was clean and neat. The price to stay a month with utilities was much less than anywhere else on the Dutch side. They have done much to make the grounds gardenlike since last year. The pool is very well maintained. The management staff is friendly and outgoing. If you are looking for new and luxury you probably will not be happy. Other reviews have mentioned roosters crowing, dogs barking, etc. The other properties we stayed at also had those island noises. Shut the windows in the bedroom and turn on the A/C.

Room Tip: All units are unique so hard to make recommendations on rooms. One-bedroom in front of building is...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've stayed at The Tamarind on and off for many many years and in the past I've had some of the problems mentioned in other reviews, and worse. No hot water for 5 days on one trip, cool showers are not he end of the world in the tropics. However, this is the first review of The Tamarind I've posted because it is so improved. It is under new management and Paul the new MD is already showing that the old Tamarind is dead and buried. Accept that it is high end budget accommodation and you won't be disappointed, hire of a car is useful, but I'd do that for many places on SXM. The new deli is ideal and makes staying there so much better, the pool is now always clean and the grounds likewise. The room was typical Tamarind, I've never been in a room that wasn't clean and wonderfully maintained that way, the ladies who do the cleaning are great. Accept that it is surrounded by local residents and enjoy added local atmosphere at no extra charge.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

In the middle of an industrial area. The rooms were cleaned but still dirty (e.g. stains in the curtains), the one we got was smoked in. And yes; if you are near the reception you will be up all night because of the next door chicken coop.
Beggers cant be choosers, so if you are on a tight budget, you could check it out. They asked well over $ 300 for a 3 night stay....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Before my vacation in Sint Maarten I read a couple of reviews regarding the Hotel and location and discomforts of fellow travelers.
However when i arrived on sunday the 27th of February i was shown to the room, and well i was not expecting anything less. The bed was nicely made and the bathroom/room were clean.
The first night I have to admit was a little short, the room was located on the back and my neighbours were the wonderful chickens and rooster, they decided to wake up at around 3.30 AM and when thinking that a rooster will just make noise for 1 time and thats it your WRONG haha. The first sound at 3.30 AM was not all the time but at round 5.00 AM they are fully awake, and yes i was bothered by them and woken up by them. But have to say even though hotel was fully booked after a couple days I got used of the noise in morning and slept through most of the time. During the day however if you are stuck in the hotel like me it can be a little annoying but then when you think where you are you forget the chickencoop and YELL I'M IN SINT MAARTEN BABY!

The Staff working at the Tamarind are so friendly, they helped me in the best way they could and were always in for a chat, they speak French, Dutch & English so i think you will be just fine. The housekeepers also 2 friendly ladies who made up my room everyday and i never had a complain.

Or well there was one issue but was not a big problem and resolved right away. Basicly the location is good (very close and walkable) to Philipsburg, and i really enjoyed my stay in Sint Maarten. I'm happy i chose to stay at the Tamarind and for my next visit i will go for sure to the same place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I took our "baby moon" to St.Martin / St. Maarten before our first child. We chose the Tamarind because we were on a budget and just wanted a clean and friendly place to do day trips from, and a pool to lounge by. We liked our time there and will certainly go back.

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Tamarind Hotel? Share your experiences!