“Best value in SXM” 5 of 5 stars

Goldfinch Rd, Pt Blanche, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Philipsburg
“Best value in SXM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've stayed at The Tamarind on and off for many many years and in the past I've had some of the problems mentioned in other reviews, and worse. No hot water for 5 days on one trip, cool showers are not he end of the world in the tropics. However, this is the first review of The Tamarind I've posted because it is so improved. It is under new management and Paul the new MD is already showing that the old Tamarind is dead and buried. Accept that it is high end budget accommodation and you won't be disappointed, hire of a car is useful, but I'd do that for many places on SXM. The new deli is ideal and makes staying there so much better, the pool is now always clean and the grounds likewise. The room was typical Tamarind, I've never been in a room that wasn't clean and wonderfully maintained that way, the ladies who do the cleaning are great. Accept that it is surrounded by local residents and enjoy added local atmosphere at no extra charge.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

In the middle of an industrial area. The rooms were cleaned but still dirty (e.g. stains in the curtains), the one we got was smoked in. And yes; if you are near the reception you will be up all night because of the next door chicken coop.
Beggers cant be choosers, so if you are on a tight budget, you could check it out. They asked well over $ 300 for a 3 night stay....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Before my vacation in Sint Maarten I read a couple of reviews regarding the Hotel and location and discomforts of fellow travelers.
However when i arrived on sunday the 27th of February i was shown to the room, and well i was not expecting anything less. The bed was nicely made and the bathroom/room were clean.
The first night I have to admit was a little short, the room was located on the back and my neighbours were the wonderful chickens and rooster, they decided to wake up at around 3.30 AM and when thinking that a rooster will just make noise for 1 time and thats it your WRONG haha. The first sound at 3.30 AM was not all the time but at round 5.00 AM they are fully awake, and yes i was bothered by them and woken up by them. But have to say even though hotel was fully booked after a couple days I got used of the noise in morning and slept through most of the time. During the day however if you are stuck in the hotel like me it can be a little annoying but then when you think where you are you forget the chickencoop and YELL I'M IN SINT MAARTEN BABY!

The Staff working at the Tamarind are so friendly, they helped me in the best way they could and were always in for a chat, they speak French, Dutch & English so i think you will be just fine. The housekeepers also 2 friendly ladies who made up my room everyday and i never had a complain.

Or well there was one issue but was not a big problem and resolved right away. Basicly the location is good (very close and walkable) to Philipsburg, and i really enjoyed my stay in Sint Maarten. I'm happy i chose to stay at the Tamarind and for my next visit i will go for sure to the same place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I took our "baby moon" to St.Martin / St. Maarten before our first child. We chose the Tamarind because we were on a budget and just wanted a clean and friendly place to do day trips from, and a pool to lounge by. We liked our time there and will certainly go back.

• Stayed February 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at Tamarind hotel for one month in November.

I will list why I thought it was a bad experience:

1) My room was next to a hen house with roosters vaking me up at 4'o clock every morning!!!! The manager didn't tell me this before I moved in, she knew the problem however and offered me to be released from my lease afterwards, which I found a quite ridiculous behavior.

2) It is situated in a container harbour. Even though it looks very pictoresque on the website the surroundings are quite dirty and it is necessary to have a car to go to Philipsburg as there are nothing in Pointe Blanche.

3) It took 3 days to get back the deposit deducted utilities even though it should be a simple procedure.

3) The water did not work on several occasions and the bathroom shower was broken

4) The rooms were only cleaned once a week even though there is a 20 % surcharge for room cleaning.

5) If you wanted internet in your room you had to pay 4 $ dollars per hour and rent a modem from the hotel.

Overall not a hotel I would recommend to anyone as it costed 1130 $ for one montth in a really small studio including all the problems described above.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My husband and I and our two children (3 and 1) were looking for a long stay apartment in St Maarten which was affordable, centrally located and good for kids. When we first arrived the apartment had not been cleaned and there were cigerette butts and empty beer bottles everywhere. All the beds were dirty and the towels had all been used. We advised the front desk and the cleaners were there in under an hour. We rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. Unfortuantely the way the hotel is set up there is a horseshoe shapped section and then another straight section. The straight section at the end was where we had our apartment. There was a chicken coop right outside our windows. The roosters crowed most of the day starting at 4:30am. You do get used to the roosters after a few days, but it is something I wish I had known when I booked. If you were staying in the horseshoe shapped part you would have been alright. Another thing to note is there are lots of misquitos here, all the time from what the locals told us. Luckily I had packed repellant for us. The apartments are all fitted with a fridge, a cook top and a microwave - no oven. Upon arrival our microwave and exhaust fan were both not working as well as the radio. We informed front desk and they replaced the microwave and fan within a day or two. The owners were very accomodating and most requests were met with good humour and grace (sink stopper, broom etc). There is a pool at the hotel. A few days it was yucky looking (greenish and not clear at all) but most days it was fine. The hotel is also a residence to some locals and there were always lots of kids around for my daughter to play with, which was nice. The bathroom was a little run down, but everything worked fine. The hotel is located just outside Phillipsburg on the far side of the harbour. The issue with this is that every time you want anything (from a pint of milk, to a paper, to head out to the beach) is that you have to drive by the port (which hosts up to 5 cruise ships each and every day). The closest beach was in Phillipsburg but this beach was definately not the nicest and I think we only ever went there once and not into the water. We liked Orient Beach, Dawn Beach and Simpsons Bay by Marys' Boon. To get to Simpsons Bay and the beaches on the west of the island you have to drive through Phillipsburg and Simpsons Bay which can take anywhere from 40 minutes and up. Traffic on the island is terrible. If you head north to Orient Beach it is about a 20-25 minute drive. To stay at this hotel a rental car is a MUST. There is internet access at the front desk and laundry, but that is all for the facilities.

Overall the hotel staff was accomodating, the rooms clean (cleaned weekly and linens changed), the value could not be beat but renter beware and I can not stress enough to ask for a room AWAY FROM THE CHICKEN COOPS.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tamarind Hotel? Share your experiences!