“HOTEL IN NEED OF UPDATING AND RENOVATING” 1 of 5 stars

Horizon View Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Front Street, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
Jacksonville, Florida
“HOTEL IN NEED OF UPDATING AND RENOVATING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Horizon View Hotel in Philipsburg, St Maarten for a week in early March 2013. We had two-two bedroom units and I must say, this place is close to being a DUMP. If the owners would put some money into the place and upgrade, it could be nice. The units were very spacious, but the appliances look like they were from the 1950's, the tile floors look like they haven't been scrubbed in quite a while. In one of the units, the air conditioner in the upstairs bedroom did not work. And it was a waste of time calling the front desk for anything. The young lady that was on the desk when we checked in seems like she did not know much of anything. The units had three televisions each, but only one TV in each unit worked. Surprisingly, there is WIFI, if you stand in certain areas, and it was free. The night time security guard was a big help with a lot of the things we needed. They tell you on the phone that there is a special lot that you can park in, but that does not exist. You just have to take your chances and park in the public lot about blocks from the hotel. There is not daily maid service, and even when the maid did come, they seemed to be confused about what they needed to do. I would not recommend staying here unless they do a major renovation to this place. I can go on and on with all of the negative stuff, but I will be here for a while.

Room Tip: From what I saw, there are not such things as a "good room" at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
McHenry, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were very nervous heading to the hotel after reading the review written Feb 22. The condition of the hotel was not the best. All the reviews are true about the condition. We were not expecting it to be the hilton for the money we paid but the location and the fun we had on the board walk made up for it.
I was very pleased with the comfort of the bed!! We slept very good. It is clean, not dirty but it is out dated. Some rust on the tub, light bulbs were out very few towels. The air conditioner worked good for us. We stayed in Rm 202. The office has bottled water for 1.00 and the yellow beach chairs by the beach are free to the hotel guests but you have to pay for a towel so bring your oun.
There is a church 20 feet away and church bells ring at 6 am on Monday mornings and singing. And some kind of Marching band that went through the town at 6am on Tuesday. I still don't know what that was.
This is the hotel for you if your not looking for amenities but location.
We would stay again.
It was our first time to St. Maartin and we had the best vacation. If you don't stay here stay somewhere but the Island was a blast.
Barry and Michelle Chicago

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I would like to give you a report on this hotel as I think it is important. We were so looking forward to a nice week we even took my fiancé’s elderly parents and they occupied the second bedroom which was 10’ x 12’ with 2 single beds (very small). The hotel had a great location and the manager did his best to accommodate, but there is only so much you can do. I would rate this hotel a .5 out of 5. It’s condition would be like a Motel 6 in an inner city - disgusting.

The penthouse basic layout was a small bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room on the first floor and 2 dble bed balcony bedroom and bathroom (made of 4 rooms) on the second floor. The rooms were in significant disrepair with only a few light bulbs (we bought some). There were very few outlets (only 1 in the kitchen) and the ones in the 2 bathrooms were there via short extension cords. The balconies were not really balconies. 2 doors swing open from the living room and there is a railing (that is one balcony – part of the living room). The second floor balcony had the air conditioner condenser (did not work the first few days) and no chairs and was quite narrow. We asked for chairs but never got them. The three air conditioner units were cobbled up and just hooked up to an outlet. The kitchen had adequate pots and pans (very, very dull knife), but all the appliances were mismatched. The living room was small and had a real old TV. The light fixture simply had fluorescent bulbs sticking out of it. The downstairs bathroom was similar to a Hotel 6 bathroom in condition and size. The upstairs bathroom had a double sink in disrepair, whirlpool tub did not have handles and we were not supposed to use because it leaked, only one of the toilets worked and a sunning porch (I think) with sliding doors which did not slide. Accommodation in regards to towels, kitchen accessories, etc were minimal to non-existent. As an example we received only 1 clean wash cloth for the entire week. We were charged $3 for our beach towels and $75 for parking. To add to all our issues there were bed bugs or flees (which we have brought home with us).

I was very disappointed in this experience in regards to the accommodations. It may very well be the last time my fiancé’s parents leave the country due to their age. Once again we made the best out of it because St Maarten is a beautiful place. I spent a lot of money for meals and plane flights to make it a nice week for them and ended up staying in an very poor hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Definitely not what we expected based on the reviews. We stayed in one of the penthouse 2 bedrooms. No air conditioning, had to pay daily for clean bath towels. No balcony as advertised! One of the worst accommodations I've ever stayed in. We started looking for another place to stay after our first night. Staff was rude and not pleasant at all.

One other thing to make note of....the area pretty much shuts down by 6:00pm, so the is very little to do. All the shops, restraints close when the ships pull out around 5:00pm.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE! May be ok for a night if u are traveling on business, but not for vacation!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Horizon View Beach Hotel is centrally located. Like others have said, shopping is right at the front door and the beach is in the back. I had an oceanfront room with the most beautiful view imaginable. When I was escorted to the room, I was struck by the ocean view. All I could see was turquoise water and blue sky. I was so mesmerized by the view that I didn’t hear about the features of the room - like there’s a separate bedroom, bath and kitchenette. The living room has sliding glass doors that open up to a view of the beach. When the sliding doors were open, I was able to hear the crash of the waves, enjoy the vibe of the boardwalk and see a beautiful sunset every day from the comforts of the couch. The hotel fit my needs for the week. Afoo Supermarket is within walking distance and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The kitchenette has basic amenities (like silverware, glasses, pans and plates) but nothing extra like can opener, blender, cooking utensils. There's a stove with oven, mid-size fridge and microwave. If you’re looking for a fancy hotel with lots of amenities, the Horizon View is not for you. If you want an affordable hotel that’s near the beach, shopping and the boardwalk, give the Horizon View a try!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have access to the excitement and action on the boardwalk (i.e. you hear the waves...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Horizon View Beach Hotel is ideally located in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. There is the beautiful aqua marine Great Bay Beach to the back and the shopping streets to the front. No transport is required if you are there for relaxation or shopping. However, if you want to see a bit of night life then you certainly will need transport as there is absolutely none in the city. The rooms are simple but very clean. Both Ramesh and Kannan are very friendly and helpful, and I got great value for my money.There is no restaurants at the hotel but along the boardwalk there are numerous eating places and at the Holland House Hotel next door there is a restaurant. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a simple hotel. And will return to it anytime I return to St.Maarten.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

OK, this hotel is not the Marrit;s location. Mariott or Hilton but what it lacks in glitz it makes up for in its location. The Horizon View is right smack dab on Front Street in downtown Phillipsburg. You walk out the door and you are on the tourist row where shops abound and wehere you can get 2 Carib beers and Cuban cigar for 5 bucks. If you are not into the shopping scene then this hotel is not for you. The hotel faces front street on one side and the Great bay on the other. It costs more for an Ocean view but what the heck if you are on business who care where the room is. The room is clean but the bathroom could use an update. The staff is very nice and they make you feel welcome. Would I bring my wife here....hmm not sure as she goes for more upscale accomodations. The kitchen has a coffee pot so you can make your own coffee. They also will provide you with a wireless router to access the Internet. IMPORTANT: a parking places are non-existant be sure to ask Ramesh (nice guy) to give you the key to a small secured parking lot just down the alley. (You will be glad you did) The hotel offers no food but with its location places to eat are all over. If I was traveling back to SXM on business I would opt to stay at this hotel once again. No frills just a good bed and clean place to sleep. Oh yea, there is a Catholic Church next door so if singing and church bells bothers you seek elsewhere.
TT

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Horizon View Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!