This was our second trip to the Flamingo and we returned because of a good first experience. We booked a 10 day trip through Orbitz and we paid extra for an ocen view room. On arrival we were informed that the resort was full but that they had an ocean view room as reserved. As soon as we got to the room it was clear that it was unacceptable. The Ocean view consisted of a view of a wall and the bar at Toppers Restaurant. We let the staff know that it was unacceptable and eventually we were shown a 3rd floor garden view room that appeared to be the only choice. We requested to see the manager or assistant manager.
For the next two days we asked daily to see the manager but nobody from management was available or contacted us. Frustrated I contacted Orbitz who put us in contact with a reservations manager for Diamond Resorts in Orlando who indicated that she would email the manager and assistant manager and that we should be hearing from them shortly. Once again nobody from management contacted us so I called Diamond Resorts the next day and was again promised that we would be contacted but we were not. Our request was simple-we wanted a refund for the difference between the ocean view room that we paid extra for and the garden view that we got.
Later that afternoon my wife was able to speak with the general manager who stated that he didn't have the ability to refund the difference and offered us a 7 day stay at some future date. I then contacted Orbitz and was connected with a manager who indicated that he would contact the Flamingo Resort manager directly. Within 15 minutes the Flamingo GM called us and stated that he had agreed with Orbitz to refund the $35/day difference. I doubt that this would have happened if Orbitz had not gtten involved. I now have a high opinion of Orbitz and not a very high opinion of Flamingo management.
The resort is fine but we spent very little time there. If you book don't go in with the expectation that you will get what you reserved. Flamingo management was unresponsive until Orbitz forced the issue. The refund was credited to our card before we left the island. I would hesitate to book directly with Flamingo as it seems there is no accountability without being forced to rectify a situation
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Flamingo Beach Hotel
- Flamingo Beach Resort St Maarten
- Hotel Flamingo Beach
- Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort
- Flamingo Beach Resort St Maarten-St Martin/Philipsburg
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful white sand, sparkling blue waters, sunny skies - where else can you find all of this but in Saint Martin/Saint Maarten in the Caribbean? When you stay at Flamingo Beach Resort, you will have all of this, and more. Here you can have the most relaxing vacation of your life, or enjoy some of the many outdoor adventures in the area. If you love water sports, you can go windsurfing, swimming and snorkeling. See the scenery on horseback, or go for a hike along the many trails. You will never be bored while you are staying here, unless of course you simply want to sit back and do nothing, which you are more than welcome to do. Just imagine spending a week or longer just lying around on the beautiful beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Amex, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Flamingo Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.