“Won't be back.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Flamingo Beach Resort to your Saves list
Flamingo Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   6 Billy Folly Road | Pelican Cay, Simpson Bay, Philipsburg 29572, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Special Price
Rates starting from $125
Camillus, NY
“Won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We only stayed one night at the Flamingo before flying home. Room was booked through Booking. com, and I was told ahead of time that there were no waterfront rooms available, so I didn't expect a view. Our balcony over- looked the street and Bon Apetite Restaurant. Ok, 1 night, no big deal.
What I didn't expect was the following: we could not get into our room until almost 5 pm. ( what hotel has a 4 pm check- in time?!). The next day, I was in the shower when a male employee came knocking on the door. This was at 10:30 a.m. He told my husband that we had to be out of the room, because an owner wanted to switch rooms to be near their friends. He came into our room to use our phone. ( did I mention I was in the bathroom, just out of the shower! ) he was on the phone for awhile. My husband had to ask him to leave, so I could get dressed. We were only then informed that check- out is at 10:00 a.m. What hotel has a 10:00 a.m check- out?! Crazy.
I understand that owners get preferential treatment, and most people stay by the week, so then don't sell your empty rooms on other sites, like Booking.com.
The kitchen was clearly new and up- dated, so that was nice. We had a studio. Room 7451, I believe. There was a distinct urine smell in the bathroom. The toilet needs to be replaced. It looks like the toilets one finds on a boat. Plastic. The smell was a little better when I put the dirty toilet bowl brush away under the sink.
The beach is nice.
Toppers: no joke, waited 2 hours for fish and chips and crab salad! It wasn't particularly busy that night, either. The waiter, Oscar, really tried to make it up to us by offering free drinks, etc. . He was probably the most professional, hard- working person we encountered there. I understand that Toppers is separate from the hotel, but it is on site.
If you read my other reviews, I am not a complainer, so this stuff really bothered me!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are very concerned after reading your comments following your stay at our resort. We would like to assure you that providing excellent customer service and a great standard of accommodation is our priority and we are very disappointed to learn that this is not been the case on this occasion. We need to confirm that our check-in is 4pm and check-out is 10am as advised on the booking confirmation and our web site, however we apologise if this has not been made clear to you at the point of checking-in and we will address this with our reception team. As for the bathroom, we assure you that our housekeeping is held to the highest standards and the situation mentioned by you is not commonplace at our resort. We apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Should you wish to give us another chance we would do our best to redeem ourselves in your eyes. We do wish you all the best on your future travels.

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Hereford, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was our second year here and LOVE it! Great beach with it's own little bay you can "float" your vacation away. This year was busy when we went so we didn't get an ocean front but still a convienent place to stay...close to restraunts, casinos, beach, grocery store, excursions. Will come back each year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to read that you were under such a nice impression after your last stay that you decided to pay us anther visit. It is reassuring that you were not disappointed and you in fact intend to come back next year. We are looking forward to seeing you again!
Det Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We checked in to our room and immediately asked if we could get a view of something other than the parking lot which was under contstruction but were told they were booked solid. I didn't see many people and we were there for a week. We went to sleep listening to construction and woke up to the same. On top of that, we heard yelling down the hall ( 3rd floor ) all night long. Oh, and not to mention the septic cleaners and garbage trucks first thing in the am. The beach bar Toppers was nice. The area was good. I don't know why they are called the "friendly island" because I did not meet many friendly people. Especially Harold at the front desk. I had the pleasure to talk to him on check in and a couple other times and he was anything but "friendly". I did however like Shane. He worked the front desk and was very pleasant as well as another man I didn't get his name but I think it was Gustava or something like that. Went to Le Vista for dinner one night, which is up the road and they seemed much more pleasant and friendly. I won't be visiting again, but if I did, I would probably stay at the Le Vista. One other thing, if you need a taxi please have them call Genesis Taxi Association. Once we received a card from them, that is the only taxi I would feel safe in. We did something stupid and got in a taxi that didn't have a sign, after leaving Sunset Bar and when we got in the maroon colored minivan, which was all banged up, another guy walked up and got in the front seat and they were talking in different language. We felt really scared, and learned that they are gypsy taxis and they are illegal and have been known to rob, and rape, and murder people. Please call Genesis
Taxi. You can google gypsy taxi in St Maartin and will read about the illegal gypsy taxis if you don't believe me. The weather is spectecular and the beach and ocean is really something to see.

Room Tip: higher floors are better views but stay in ocean or pool view if they will accomadate.
Cobourg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our week here, Topper's Restaurant on the beach a great, convenient restaurant, servers young, perky and friendly. Owner always finds a place for you, even if you do not have reservations. However, I suggest that you reserve at restuarants. The Vista timeshare resort next to us flatly refused to consider accommodating us one evening, when there were obviously some tables available. So, if you wish to be abused, go there. Food tends to be pricey, milk tastes different, much produce must be shipped in. Just eat the local fish, Mahi Mahi is divine. And stick to rum.

The resort staff friendly and obliging, had a lovely unit with large balcony overlooking the ocean and watched the coming's and going's of cruise ships, yachts and sailboats. A small grocery store very close and another, larger just 15 minutes' walk away. Loved our comfy, king-sized bed. Not much counter space to cook, but could have. Appliances new and clean. We had no problems with "reserved" seating on beach, just had to mention to staff and their towels were promptly removed. The resort's policy is no more than 1 hour reservations for beach seating. We saw 2 mosquitoes, this isn't a major issue!

We did experience some problems with our room cards, which kept losing their charge, facilitating a walk back down the hill to office and back up again and up 3 flights of stairs, not all units have elevators. This happened 3 consecutuve times! Not fun. The beach is scenic but very steep, a head's up for folk who are not very limber. The seas were rough the week we were there and getting out was a challenge, best enter and exit by the rocks. Several people were pulled out of the surf with noodles.and/or their friends.

Snorkelling, our passion, wasn't great, no fault of anyone, as it was rough and windy. But we were taken out to Creole rock and did see the "usual suspects", angels, parrot fish, wrasse, various surgeon fish and a plethora of damsels, even a small moray eel. If it's calm, you can see great stuff by the rocks off the resort, a good place to take the kids. In the evenings, pelicans dive for fish and watch for skirmishes on the water surface as big fish round up smaller fish for supper.

Go to the Marigot Saturday morning farmers' market (and a smaller one Wednesdays) if you like to actually see real food. Fresh fish, fruits and local veggies, flea market a better calibre and nice silver hand-made jewellry. A guy sells his tropical flower arrangements, helliconia, orchids, etc, gorgeous to see.

Chesterfield's is a great seafood restaurant in Philipsburg, hard to find but locals point you there. The shopping strip, in our opinion, is filled with mountains of the same, overpriced high-end luxuries and beach stuff. They play the 'duty free' card but everything is still expensive.

Drank the water, breathed the air and enjoyed the food/libations. A good week, far too short.

Room Tip: Units facing the sea are always better. Check for elevators if you need them, not all buildings hav...
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is our fourth year staying at the Flamingo and probably our best experience yet. My 14 year old daughter and I stayed in a studio with a view of the pool. We love St. Maarten and will continue to stay at the Flamingo every year. It's a perfect location if you're staying on the Dutch side. Sunsets are spectacular from the beach right outside your front door. All the staff at the resort are friendly. We love Jaime at the pool bar. He makes the best frozen drinks on the island and his smile always made our day. We had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Kevin Jeremie, one of the activities employees. The Flamingo is lucky to have him. He goes out of his way to greet and chat with as many guests as possible. He is so friendly, and funny to name a few. The kids loved him and so did we. He made our trip much more enjoyable then it may have been without him. Can't way for next year!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our first time. This place is wonderful with a fully equipped kitchen and king size bed BUT pillows are like sleeping on bean bags! The staff are great! My husband and I had a wonderful time in St. Maarten. We loved staying on the Dutch side since everywhere we went we encountered friendly people...not so much on the French side unless you're from Canada. I will try and review everything and am glad I'm doing this now since we just got back. BEACH: This resort actually has two different places to stay. They are both on the beach. They are all condos. Our room was facing the ocean and you could watch the yachts move in and out of port every day. The beach was not that big. It was man made and had many many huge rocks when you got in so you had to be careful. I recommend water shoes so you do not hurt your feet. We did not stay on the side with the pool so perhaps the beach on that side was nicer.POOL: The pool was a nice size. It was made more for kids because it was not deep. We stayed by the other beach since we are in our 50's and just wanted to relax without kid noise.WATER & TEMP: The water was 79 to 80 in temperature.. I thought it was cold but once you got in you were fine. I was told in March it gets a lot warmer. Once in a while a few big fish came around but they never bothered you and it was a pleasure. There was also very few waves so take your raft or you can buy a noodle from the kiosk. The air temp was mostly in the high 80's & 80's nite and we encountered a bit of rain that would last for 5 minutes and then the sun would come out so every day was really beautiful. At nite take bug spray 4 mosquitoes. The water is safe. I used the water from the resort to brush my teeth but we used bottled water to drink.UMBRELLAS: There were plenty of straw hut umbrellas all over the beach and you could always get one of the workers there to put up an umbrella w/$3.00 tip.There were plenty of lounge chairs that they would lock up and unlock at 7am so you would need to pick your spot early.DRIVING was at your own risk unless you felt comfortable. All drivers are very courteous there.Restaurants: SKIPJACKS: Lobster was over grilled and chewy and overpriced. BOATHOUSE; Great steak and fish. THE HIDEAWAY; The BEST cook is a French chef. Grouper-excellent Burgers-excellent we had lunch and dinner twice. No wait time. Beautiful setting. TOPPERS; Takes 40 mins to get food and is way over priced. LEES: EXCELLENT grilled snapper perfect! Great music Friday night. Zee Best: Not..had quiche microwaved and salad for lunch. Drinks were always good at the Flamingo and they would have specials 2 for 1 but it was only their drink of the day. Go to Mullet Bay by car early the beach is BEAUTIFUL and you can rent chairs and umbrellas. Tour: If you LOVE to drink beer at 9am and don't get sick on boats take the tour to Anguilla and Prickly Pear on Tango Catamaran. We went and it was very rocky. I ate fresh ginger slices that I bought the night before and drank gingerale. People were drinking and grabbing for white bags. Snorkeling was way too rough at Prickly Pear and some had to be rescued. They never took us to that island cause they said there was too many sand bars even though we paid $200 for this tour. No restaurant at Anguilla. Staff serves lunch. Grilled bbc chicken good and coleslaw. Mahi mahi looked ok. Ribs looked good. You can go for seconds. Godsped!

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are wonderful.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here Feb 16-23, 2013. I thought this was a "hotel" when I booked with Expedia but, in fact it is a time share property. After being asked SEVERAL times to do a tour/presentation we decided to see what it was all about and the incentive of $75 gift card pushed us to do it. Well, make a long story short, when I took the gift card out of the envelope, I realized that it was in deed ONLY a $50 gift card. I told them the next day because they closed, they gave me the extra $25 gift card. Well, on our last day I tried to use the cards and the $50 card was DENIED, however the $25 card worked. When I told the front desk, there wasn't much they could do about it because it was a Friday and they wouldn't be back until Sunday. Needless to say, the 2 hours of my $9,000 vacation was not worth it for $25. I felt taken advantage of.

My air conditioner in my room was broken and didn't work. It was very muggy in the room. I told the front desk and nothing was ever done about it.

This is a property for older couples whereas, we only saw maybe 2 other kids in the "hotel". Nothing going on for them. My kids are 16, 13 and 11. They mentioned that there was no kids.

The day we checked into our room, the floors in both rooms were dirty, sandy. My socks turned black on the bottom by the next morning. They did send someone to clean the floors the next day.

There is NO DAILY ROOM CLEANING/SERVICE. I had no idea that they only come on Tuesday to straighten out the room. Not fun making my own bed every day on vacation and not having the sink/toilet/shower cleaned up.

My son slept on the pull out couch and was sleeping on springs in his back for the entire week. Terrible!
The place isn't very attractive. We had to walk through an ugly parking lot to go to the front office or our rooms. The room was nice though. Really nice to have a kitchen.
I LOVED the beach. A little bit rocky but beautiful nonetheless.
Great location of this property.
This is my 4th time in St. Maarten. I ended up buying a time share at the Westin on the East side of the Island. Beautiful place, a little isolated but, beautiful!
I wouldn't recommend the Flamingo to others. The Royal Palm looked like it was a prettier property.

Room Tip: Our rooms were 7232 and 7234. Second floor and great view of the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!