“CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
ontario
“CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I am late writing this as we were there in March. We booked this trip last October and I started reading these reviews about 2 months before our trip and I have to say I was a little worried when I read some of the negative reviews. But I am not sure what anyone had to complain about as this resort is one of the best I have ever stayed at. Management runs this hotel very efficiently as all the workers here are very courteous, friendly and hard working. Our room was kept immaculate by Maureen, Geral, Shyliem (hope I spelled it correctly) and Nasmarie, were so outgoing and fun!!! Thanks for the laughs and great music. We found the entertainment great!!! We danced a lot which is what we were hoping for. Food is good, they worked hard and provided us with 2 nights of outdoor BBQ's. One of my travelling companions was hoping for more seafood though. Beds were the most comfortable I have had while at any resort. I can't say anything negative at all. "We all want to go again next year, and usually we like to try different places, but this place felt like home.
There is no loud music going all night, so not sure why someone had posted that!
Pizza at the beach restaurant is the best!!!

Room Tip: Worth the bit of extra for an ocean view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Amanda F, Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear chickiepoo,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We're glad to see you had a wonderful time with us back in March and that you have already booked to return trip. Thank you for highlighting our Management, staff, food, and comfortable beds. See you next year!

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This resort has the most amazing and dedicated staff and this is what keeps the guests coming back. Always a warm greeting, a smile and a willingness to help with any problem during your visit.Hard working and there to make your stay memorable.
Improvements to the buffet area have put a stop to the possibility of getting soaked during a downpour.New furnishings in the lobby are a great addition. If you go hungry during your stay here, you have the problem. Choices are varied, fresh and well prepared. The pizza at the snack restaurant is snapped up as it comes out of the pizza oven. Chocolate chip cookies are wonderful for a chocoholic!! The cookie jar in the lobby is visited frequently by all the guests.
Hello to Veronica, Murlina, Tracey and Roland. See you in 2016.

Room Tip: Oceanview - Worth the money for the 6th or 7th floor.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Dear Notme,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review with us. We're glad you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed our food, dedicated staff, new additions to our resort and our delicious cookies located in the Lobby. See you again next year!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Without a doubt one of our favorite hotel. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed by an extremely friendly staff. The restaurants are very flexible and very accommodating.The hotel manager goes above and beyond for all of his guests making sure that everyone is comfortable and having a good time. The food and beverage manager deserves a special mention... Great job! Walking distance to town for shopping. Good nightly entertainment .

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view. It is magnificent.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Bibi H,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We're so glad that our resort has become on of your favorite resorts and that you enjoyed our friendly staff, Management Team, and location. We hope to see you back soon.

Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Spent two weeks at Sonesta Great Bay April 4th to 18th. We stayed in the Residences 3rd. floor, at this resort,so based on our accommodations it was very nice. The older section is very dated. Housekeeping was excellent. Most of the staff was friendly. Although did not find bartenders inside the resort to be. Food was good and staff at the restaurants were very good. Loved the pizza at this resort and found Germaine to be a great waitress. I would also like to mention the great service from Patrizia in the buffet during the day. Beach is nice although it is crushed shells so not as soft as powder. Great shopping, bus service and taxis are easy to get. Also staff are always cleaning inside and out. We hope to return again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear ozzyns,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're glad you enjoyed your two week staff with us and that our housekeeping staff did a excellent job, along with our other staff members, that you liked the food and location. We hope to see you again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I was visiting from New York April 16 through April 21, 2015 The butler staff was great Marcia and Nate. The butler manager Richard was a delight. Hard working people I requested the suite with butler service. The jacuzzi did not work for the entire trip and I did report it and it still was not fixed. The food was average nothing to write home about. to get a drink from the poolside bar was a tragedy if you were not tipping them and you were not white you were not getting served I'm not a racist I had five days to watch this each and everyday I sat at the bar. The bartender Akeem was good for that nonsense thank god the butlers saved my trip. Me and my fiancée just decided to stay near our rooms and not be bothered. The workers there are not too friendly only the housekeeping staff and the butler team.

The entertainment club did a hermit crab race at 100 in the afternoon he was also rude I can't remember his name I know he's from Jamaica just like Akeem. They have their name tags with the countries flag underneath. We had to wait forty five minutes for lasagna at the waters edge specialty restaurants. You even saw other couples getting up to leave but I practice patience. Sooner or later we ventured out. The hotel is dated. Needs remodeling. Akeem serving drink after drink in the pool and no one is leaving for hours to use the bathroom these people are urinating in the pool for hours. We never got in the pool not a single time.
Don't expect to be treated fair if your a minority
Germaine in the snack area is rude also. She's in the area of the pizza and hamburgers but a let a white woman or man come around her face lights up like a piñata. Her attitude is just plane mean. Ugh....

For the record this is not my first rodeo as far as room category and service goes. I have traveled to sandals saint Lucia sandals Antigua sandals Montego Bay. And chic punts Cana .I know about service I paid the same amount of money here at this crap property and jacked up people I could have went to sandals With my money.

Once again get yourself a butler suite if you wanted to be treated fair who would have thought you would have to leave tips for an all inclusive spot to get a drink. This resort is too prejudice for me and for that I will not be returning. Thank you Richard Marcia and Nate for saving my 4000 dollar trip I wish I would have read the reviews first before we wasted money but the butler team which includes Nate Marcia and Richard made it all worth it

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Meliherrer,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We're disappointed to see you did not have a better time with us and appreciate your valuable feedback, as we have gone over it in detail with our Management Team. We do hope you will reconsider staying at one of our three Sonesta St. Maarten resorts in the future as we are dedicated to restore your confidence in us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Sonesta Great Bay was our first ever repeat vacation (2 wks in 2014 and 2 wks Mar 2015) and I can guarantee that there will be a 3-peat in 2016! This adult-only 205 room all-inclusive resort is a perfect getaway if you are looking for quality at it's finest. The location is fabulous as you get to enjoy Philipsburgh with all the shops and watch the cruise ships sail in and out every day. You are close enough to walk into town yet far enough away that nobody bothers you. The food is awesome and my husband swears that he will never go to some of the larger resort chains that we have been to in the past where there was so much food and so many things tasted the same. At Great Bay there is lots to choose from but not gross amounts and everything is quite flavourful and unique. We actually don't eat any fish or seafood and still plenty of items to choose from! No complaints with the rooms but we highly recommend an ocean view room if you can because of the spectacular view. We never spent money on one cab while there last month as we are quite comfortable taking the local buses (old vans) around the island. You ride with the locals; they're friendly, it's safe and only $2 each way/person. We visited the sister resort (Maho) every other day to play tennis, have breakfast, lunch sometimes and of course, watch the planes land. Nice to have access to the other resort but staying at Great Bay is where you want to be for peace & quiet, much better beach, food and service!!! The staff at Great Bay will truly make your stay unforgettable. They are so pleasant, polite and helpful and totally grateful that you have chosen to vacation with them. I hate to include names of staff because I know that I will leave out so many special people but I will attempt to properly thank those that I currently recall: Vicky/Front Desk, Rosalie/Front Desk Manager, Richard/Butler Supervisor, Nancy/Housekeeping Coordinator, McCay/(sorry we forget his title but such a wonderful man and manager), Colin & Roland/Security Guards, Nasmarie/Animator (YOU ROCK), Heika (fabulous voice - you will go far), Andy (bestest pizza), Cooks James, Penka, Daniel (& so many more), Servers & Dining Room staff Wendy, Pauline, Cleo, Jonathan (such a sweetheart), Patrizia, Modesta, etc., etc.! One last thing - the entertainment staff are doing a fantastic job to engage and entertain all the vacationers. We can see that they've even stepped it up from last year to this year. Such a talented group of young adults that impressed us to no end. Have tons of fun in St. Maartens and Sonesta Great Bay - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Oceanview if you can - 4th floor is perfect as it's a hop, skip and jump to the lobby, then down...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Was at Sonesta Great Bay in March. Unfortunately, I was in the basement and I am very allergic to mold and mildews so I had a difficult time breathing. We requested to be changed and we were changed about mid week and it was much better. The food was good but not alot of selection. The staff made the trip; Nigel in the pool bar was a lot of fun. Jonathan Puente was a waiter and we always had a great time with him. I only mentioned a few but for the most part the staff were fun and worked hard. We were a large group and we wanted to have meals together. I did read the other reviews and the Italian was amazing, the seafood was good, and the desserts were awesome. I rarely eat desserts but they were really great. The pizza down by the pool bar is very good as well. I had a spinach salad almost daily. The place needs some updating.

Room Tip: Above the 2nd floor is your best bet. If you face the road the roosters crow from about 3 am on so...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Xenia42,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're pleased to see that we were able to accommodate your request to switch rooms and that you had an overall good vacation with us. Thank you for highlighting our staff, food and pool bar area. We hope to see you again soon.

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort Management

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!