“Our best Carribean experience yet” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bay Rd, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
St. Catharines, Canada
“Our best Carribean experience yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was our first time in St. Maarten and it will not be our last. We will certainly be staying at this resort again. The staff can't seem to do enough for you, Denroy, Nas and all of the people who work in the Entertainment and sports area are wonderful and made our stay a lot of fun. The bands were a great attraction and made us want to dance every night, this was all just part of our wonderful experience at your resort. We can't say enough about the food, the best we have had at any resort.
I have to mention the staff that looked after our needs in the food areas, I particularly have to mention Virginia, Stanley, Cleopatra. Virginia because we have the same name and because she is so friendly and respectful. All the other people because they are so friendly.
My husband wishes to thank Vicki in reception for her help after I fell and hurt my wrist. Our room was well looked after and stocked every day with linens, water etc.
The only concern we have is that around the pool area the stones are very slippery, I don't know if you can fix that problem so people won't slip and fall, but it would be better.

Thanks again for a wonderful 2 weeks in the sun.
Virginia and Bruce S.

Room Tip: We wanted an Ocean view with a King size bed, and we were lucky to get room 319 which had exactly wh...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments, and we are glad that we made your stay a memorable one. All us along with your namesake look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

My family has had three amazing vacations here and we don't think it's the end. The staff are excellent and such a pleasure to be around. We hope to be spending another week or two in the future. Definitely a place you want to visit. Huge shoutout to Denroy for making the vacation that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and are glad that we made your stay a memorable one. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on trip #4 soon.

Brossard, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

very nice place to stay ... clean clean clean.!!! its well renov.. almost all the room are new !!

situation on the beach.. amazing !! sunset =wow !!!! small buffet ..but good..you find

everything you need ..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to enjoy more sunsets.

Ogdensburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is the first time we were in St Maarten but I don't think it will be the last!! The island itself is gorgeous and the resort was just as nice. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help. Our room was very well taken care of (every day we asked for extra water and towels and they obliged) The food was excellent but the only thing we would have liked was for the snack bar downstairs to remain open in the evening.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort for a week in February 2014. From the moment we arrived we were impressed with the high level of service provided. The staff went out of their way to ensure that we had a great time and was comfortable. They assisted us with a Valentine Day and Birthday surprises and went out of their way to ensure our needs were met. Special thanks to Urma, Cleo, Jermaine, Curtis, Jose and Agatha who made us feel special.

We had a GREAT time and will definitely return in the near future.

The only negative was that the water at the beach was very deep and it was difficult to find lounge chairs as guests were "saving" chairs all day even when they were not using them. A time limit for leaving chairs unoccupied and making them available to other guest would help.

Reza and Stephanie (Toronto Canada)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments. We have taken note of your concerns and are looking for a solution to solve this problem during peak season. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Petersburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is the frist reveiw I have written for a resort and I did so to put things in perspective. First, it is an all inclusive and therefore should be judged as such. When you arrive at the resort a "band" is placed around your wrist which lets everyone know that you are an all inclusive guest-that's it. No signing chits, no worries about what's included and what isn't. The food ranged from good to wonderful. The liquor was brand name. There is a mini fridge in each room with soft drinks, bottled water, and beer and every night someone came by to restock it. The staff were universally friendly and helpful. The rooms and linens were clean and the bed was satisfactory. The A/C worked well. All of this translates to a real bargain for your travel dollar. Compared to similarly priced resorts this is a definite 5/5! In other words, my wife and I will be going back!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room-it's worth the difference in price.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments. I love your to the point method, made me smile. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dobbs Ferry, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My five day stay at this Sonesta was remarkable for the friendliness of the people I met, the size of my room (a Miramar ocean view), the uninspired and dated decor and facilities, and the food & beverages that ranged from adequate to quite good. The staff ranged from pleasant and fairly efficient to hopelessly clueless. The pools were small, but adequate, the beach featured plenty of chairs but coarse sand and a pretty difficult incline getting out of the ocean. My main complaint about my room on the 5th floor was that there was very little water pressure in the bathroom shower and tub, and the hot water ran brown for several minutes after it was turned on. Both problems were reported several times to the front desk, but nothing was done. The tub was a big jacuzzi, but I couldn't get enough water pressure to fill it in a reasonable amount of time! The view from my balcony was gorgeous, looking right at the port in Philipsburg, so I could count the cruise ships every day. The food at the buffets varied, but the barbecue was especially good. Also, the food in Il Pescatore, the seafood restaurant, was beautifully plated and very good. My other major complaint was that the "resort credits" that were part of my JetBlue Getaway package at this particular hotel were really "come on's" designed to get guests into the spa, gift shop, etc., to spend more money. They don't really work like a "credit," but instead are vouchers with very limited use. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but that was due more to the lovely people I met than to anything specific to the hotel. The highlight of my trip was an excursion to Anguilla to swim with the dolphins; expensive, but worth every dollar! Would I go back to the Sonesta, or to St. Maarten? No I wouldn't. But I'm glad I went, and I enjoyed the sun immensely- even though you have to get up and out by 8 a.m. to secure a beach chair! Of course, if you pay extra for the butler service he will take care of that for you. One final note, I went alone on this trip and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I felt because the other guests were so friendly. It was also nice to be among only adults!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments. We have taken note and will pay keen attention to the concerns mentioned. We still hope to see you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!