“Great time at Great Bay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free nights+$300 credit
Ranked #2 of 13 hotels in Philipsburg
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
“Great time at Great Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just came back from a four day stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort and I must say that it exceeded my expectations! It was my birthday gift to my wife andby the end of the stay I felt a little guilty because I felt like I cheated because I enjoyed her gift as much as if not more than her..lol. We normally don't opt for all-inclusive packages because we love exploring new places and very rarely spend a lot of time at the hotel/resort but we both really needed to unwind after months of hard work so we decided to stay put a bit more on this trip-and we couldn't have chosen a better resort. Everything matched the photos on the website (which I've learnt the hard way is seldom the case) so it was the perfect combination placidity and excitement. When we wanted we were able to have some fun with all the daytime activities but if we wanted we could have just laid back and relaxed on the beautiful beach. The food was GREAT!! ( and my wife is a chef so her nod of approval isn't easy to get on food..lol). The staff was always friendly and helpful-special shout out to Gardenia and Mikey who really did their best to make sure we enjoyed our experience. Negatives?..yeah there were a couple though. 1) I was a bit disappointed with the Casino. It wasn't as extensive or fun as I expected, especially since I felt that they pushed that aspect of the resort. 2) we experienced a few electrical problems in our room (and the television channels kept going in and out, much to my wife's annoyance on Scandal Thursday..lol). but once we informed the staff about the electrical problems they sorted it out pretty quickly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank for taking the time to post your review regarding your vacation experience here at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We have taken note of your comments and have taken care of, or are making every effort to improve the negatives. We are happy that we made your wife's birthday a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back for another one.

kind regards,

1,995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Chambly, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just came back from Sonesta Great Bay. This hotel is very well located, less than 10 minutes walk to Philipsburg. My room was clean with a great view of the cruse ships coming in the Great Bay. Also, the staff was awesome, specially Denroy who was so friendly and helpfull with us. I can wait to go back next year!

Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting a review on your stay here at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Florence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at the Sonesta Great Bay in St. Maarten because of some great reviews I had read about this property. It was an all-inclusive resort, and we could not have asked for a better experience. A bartender named Claudine knew me on a first name basis on the first day as she immediately picked up on my Southern accent. I must say she has practiced and does a good job with her Southern accent :) She was very attentive to our needs. Another bartender, Michael, really enjoyed his job. The activities staff, Chantal, Edwin, Maria, David, and Chanella, were very helpful when I tried to access my boarding pass for the plane before I left there. In the spa, I found Karolyna to be a true professional and very well trained. I treated myself to a massage, and she did my nails as an anniversary treat before I went to the beach to perform our wedding vow renewal. The front desk staff, Vicky, Gardenia, and many others were very helpful making suggestions about island excursions and making sure our needs were met. I wish I could remember all of their names. One lady at the front desk was very knowledgable about the zip-lining excursion on Pic Paradis. Because of her tip, we went and did the X-treme zip line and had a blast. The food was top-notch, and was of a good variety every night. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the housekeeping staff made sure that our needs were met. All restaurant staff were timely in their service. Everywhere we went in this resort we were greeted with a warm "good morning" and "how can I help you today". This place would even put the nicest Southerner to shame :) The entertainment by the pool each night with the different bands, karyoke, and hermit crab race was very interesting. We are not talking about "if" we go back there, we are already talking "when" we are going back to Sonesta Great Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room overlooking the beach with the volleyball net and pool in our immediate view. A...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your vacation experience here at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. Our entire team will be delighted to see that you made mention of them by name. We appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming back with us in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently travelled to St Maarten for his birthday. We opted to stay at Sonesta Great Bay resort (one of only two all-inclusive on the island) because we had been told that it was more of a relaxing resort, with shopping nearby (if you want a party resort, stay at Maho). We could not have been happier with this resort. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed and really helped us relax.
The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and unlike other vacation destinations it did not seem they were friendly only for a tip. Everyone we encountered was genuinely kind. There are a few staff members that certainly stood out to us for exceptional service. Look out for Maritza one of the bartenders (usually at the Lobby Bar), she's an excellent bartender! She always remembers your drink and serves it with a smile and sometimes a dance. Lovely lady. A few other people we felt we should mention we the animator staff. Particularly, the three girls (unfortunately I don't remember all of their names! Sorry guys!!), and Edwin. Edwin and the girls were all extremely helpful and always friendly. They even helped us find the perfect restaurant and made reservations for us for my boyfriend's birthday. We would certainly return if we knew that these same people would be working there.
Outside of the staff, we found the resort to be very clean and tidy. There seemed to always be a staff member here or there assuring that the resort was clean, from emptying ashtrays and collecting glasses to assuring there were clean towels in our room. We also had a few rain storms during our stay, but the staff always made sure that the decks were cleared and safe and that the entertainment continued despite the rain.
We had been concerned before leaving because the forecast was calling for rain or thunderstorms the entire week we were booked to stay at Great Bay. If this happens to you, don't fret! It may be overcast some of the time, but the rain doesn't last long, 20-30 minutes at the most! And generally, it rained over night. But believe me, the rain will not ruin your trip or your tan.
Overall, we were very impressed with the resort and the island itself. It's an absolutely beautiful place, full of friendly people. We recommend this resort! We went to relax and celebrate a birthday, and we did just that, but we also met some people we now call friends, some even family.

MAKE THIS RESORT A MUST VISIT!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the money, garden view rooms look onto road/hill.
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. I am so happy that all of your needs were met by our staff and we feel special that you now consider some family and for this cause you will return. We appreciate all of your comments and look forward to wecoming you back to your home away from home.

Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel was located far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Phillipsburg and close enough to walk to. The staff was wonderful, attentive and friendly. We visited Orient Beach and the sister hotel "Maho" and enjoyed those excursions. But you could just have stayed put and still have a wonderful time. Like one of the other commentators, I did ask for a mojito and was surprised you couldn't get it. Of course no problem though because you could get pretty much anything you wanted. Michael the bartender and Kim were wonderful but you couldn't single anyone out in the staff for any criticism. They were all wonderful, actually...aaaawesome!

Room Tip: Ocean side definitely so you could count the cruise ships each morning.
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay here at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We have taken note of your comment about not having Mojitos and we have therefore implemented a "Mojito Monday", so when you return you can have it your way, all day Monday. We value your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sonesta Great Bay for another awesome experience!

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Our room was very nice with a great view of the cruse ships coming in . The staff was the best everyone was so friendly and helpful Mavis Delroy and David I wish that I could remember more names.the food was very good it had something for everyone !! I can't wait to go back..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. They are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back with us.

Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We checked in on October 31st, 2013 and stayed for a week. The sunwing rep Sansarry was incredible and friendly and helped us with some personal arrangements. The bar staff: Michael, Claudine and Kim were absolutely fantastic. They exemplified customer service and kept us smiling and relaxing with a drink in hand.

The front desk staff - Vicky, was incredible. The wait and kitchen staff also exemplified courteous professionalism in such a warm and welcoming manner.

Our room was clean and housekeeping did an incredible job keeping it that way. One staff member (I wish I could remember her name) even noticed an empty coke can and switched out the pepsi in the minifridge for coke for me - a small gesture that made my stay! I would highly recommend getting ocean view as when we compared it to another couple's room we met while on the resort - there was a marked difference in the comfort and views.

We were a short walk from the boardwalk that had plenty of shopping and restaurant opportunities as well as comfy local bars with entertainment a plenty. We favourited Lizzy's with the buckets of beer and the comfortable atmosphere.

My hubby and I also rented jet-ski's from a vendor just off the resort and they were fabulous to us. We spent time exploring and photographing the bay and the cruise ships and generally had a blast.

The food was fantastic and plentiful, the drinks were chilled and varied and I really can't say enough about how fabulous the staff were.

I loved the beach (shells and all) and thoroughly enjoyed the swim area that was clearly marked and made me feel safe.

My only critique would be the shape of the ladders at the lower pool with the swim up bar. Loose tiles and shifty ladders made for many a woe-some entry and exit but all in all - it was an incredible week.

We did enjoy a bus tour to Orient Beach, Marigot and to the sister resort, Maho Beach where we checked out the plane landings and spent an afternoon enjoying the food and drink there as well. The scenery was much more lush and the resort seemed grander but we were all happy to get back to Great Bay and enjoy our freedom to eat, drink and be merry.

Blue Beard Charters took us on the Sunday to Anguilla and where we indulged in another fabulous lunch, swimming and an absolutely mind-blowing experience at Bankie Banx Dune Preservation Bar in Rendezvous Bay. We danced, we indulged and we were even treated to a perform of Bankie himself. This trip was well worth the time and for me, was the true highlight of our trip.

We would definitely return again. Thank you all for contributing to such an incredible first timer's experience.

Room Tip: We absolutely recommend the ocean view. The view alone was fabulous but at night, the sound of the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your vacation experience at the Sonest Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate and have taken note of all of your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Guest Relations

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!