“Great little property to feel right at home” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bay Rd, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
Montreal, Canada
“Great little property to feel right at home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Last November we had booked a week vacation in St-Marteen at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort. Before our stay I had written the hotel to find out about car rental services and excursions available. Rosalie, the Front Office manager wrote me back promptly and gave me all the information necessary. Also, we had special needs for our stay and she made sure that all was offered to us. If you need anything she is the one to talk to, she is amazing. When we got to the hotel, we were pleased with the general atmosphere. Very friendly personnel, very very clean hotel and what a view!! We had a deluxe ocean view room and it was perfect. The weather was sunny and warm all week. Service in the restaurant was professional and friendly. The animation staff was fun and made our stay that much more interesting. Kevin and Denroy were full of energy and very nice. Our bartender Michael was the best ever!!! What a great person, always has the nice comment to make you feel special. Make sure you talk to him about an island tour. the best on the island. Our only disappointment was that there was only 1 restaurant and 1 buffet. The restaurant offered the same menu every night and the buffet lacked in variety. We would have appreciated a little more fish dishes, and some variety in salads and entrees. We thank everyone for a great vacation and we will be back in November 2013.

Room Tip: Deluxe ocean view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Dundas, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The location of this resort is fabulous - less than a 10 minute walk from downtown Philipsburg where there is so much to see and do. We also really enjoyed the smaller size of this resort as it was very easy to relax and rest.
The rooms are spacious and clean and we found the King size bed wonderfully comfortable to sleep in.
The food was great - always diverse and hot at the buffet. The a la carte restaurants were delicious as well.
The drinks here are also yummy - be sure to try the Chocolate Monkey!
Getting around the island is efficient and cheap - only $2 for a "bus" ride to the French Side.
Overall, we had a fantastic time and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Sonesta Great Bay is an old hotel stench with mole. The ceiling are low, the air vent smell moley and the room entirely needs to be upgraded. Rosalie the front Supervisor and Edrick, the bellhop supervisor were the nicest staff there, along with one of the waiters who said he worked there for over 20 years. Everyone else seem tired and cranky, not very friendly. This property has one of the best views of Philipsburg but so in need of renovation. The liquor selection wer no frills and lack variety. The food was okay but not worth all- inclusive category. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Sorry to say that Sonesta wouldn't get my business in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My sister and I stayed at The Sonesta Great Bay Resort from March 10-17th 2013. We had a fabulous trip. The place was clean and simple. The food was good and the buffet offered something for everyone. Many of the staff were very helpful! A special mention to Denroy who ran the aquafit class everyday. He was friendly, fun and very helpful. He also ran the morning
walk, which I had the pleasure to participate in one morning. He was knowledgeable, was willing to take and pose for photos and was just all around a nice person. He greeted people everyday and remembered their names. He is certainly in the right line of work. I would also like to mention the waitresses who served in both the buffet area and the Italian restaurant. They were efficient and friendly. The only complaint I have is the bartender in the main lobby. He was rude, unhelpful and made me feel like I was a pain in the neck everytime I ordered a drink. Apart from that I would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room up high and with ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I cannot believe what we saw when we got to this so called hotel! Do not look at the photos online, they were taking 30 years ago at least. The place smells terrible, drunks all over the place, dirty, smells like dirty carpet and currie. I have the pictures to prove it!!!! The place is falling apart. The reception area and the rooms are disgusting. We left within 1 hour and book to the Westin Hotel which was AMAZING. The night manager at Sonesta told me what we experience happens a few times a week. People come in, see this dump and leave within the Island. Taxi driver and others at the Westin confirm the same experience as we did. Word of advice STAY away from Sonesta chain hotel, especially the one at Great Bay Beach Resort in St-Martin. Receptionist and other staff behind the counter were TOTAL idiots and we are now fighting the charge they put on our credit card with Amex.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm usually very prompt with my reviews but I was on the fence with this resort. I thought it was overall quite nice, but my husband thought it was just average. I'll write out the pros and cons here:
We flew out of Montreal, and we got the 7 day all-inclusive package with Mountainview for $2710. I was debating between the Mountainview and the Oceanview, but it was a significant price difference and I don't spend a lot of time in my room. However, this is one instance I would have reconsidered in hindsight. The rooms are the same, but the Mountainview is right beside the road and there are roosters crowing from 2:30 AM straight through 'til 10AM. We were fortunate to be on the top floor (7th) and in a room close to the elevators, as the ones further down the hall had a view of the garbage dump. Yes, a giant mound of garbage! If the options had said oceanview or dump view, I think more people would pay the extra cash!
Locationwise the resort was great, the beach was beautiful and we could walk to Philipsburg's main street. We also took the bus for $2/way to Marigot and Maho Beach for excursions on the cheap. It was safe and everyone was very friendly. We also walked to St. Martin zoo one day, which was about 25 minutes. Watching the cruise ships come in every morning was quite nice. I would wake up really early because of those noisy roosters, see the sun rise, go for a run and do yoga on the beach.
I was disappointed that the resort charged for internet ($16) when all the restaurants on the beach had free wifi. We got the code one day and went back to the restaurant whenever we needed to get our fix. There was little entertainment on the resort, and it was quite dead after 10pm. This wasn't a huge issue for us, but compared to the entertainment at resorts I paid $600 to go to, it was disappointing.
I enjoyed the food quite a lot, it was very Western oriented with breakfast items like french toast and pancakes. The a la carte restaurants were also good, but nothing to write home about. I LOVED the pizza but the service was so bad. They wouldn't open on time (once an hour late), the Italian chef would give priority to Italian guests and give them whole pizzas before putting out slices for those waiting in line longer. The pizza was authentic though, having been to Italy in 2012 and eating pizza for 2 weeks straight I can say it was up there with the best I've ever had. So wait v. delicious pizza? For me it was worth it, my husband did not agree.
All in all, it was a great time. We felt very relaxed after a week. We got crazy sunburned (wearing SPF 30!) but we didn't get sick or have any negative encounters. It was safe, and the right amount of culture and comfort.

Room Tip: Oceanview or ask for 7th floor closer to the elevator (702)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Piscataway, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoyed our peaceful vacation. The beach was beautiful water a little choppy, food excellent, service was great.Most employees always asked if enjoying our stay, a few could care less. The bartenders were great, Maritza a charm, makes best drinks. 10 minute walk from town by street or the entertaining beach/boardwalk. Enjoyed the view of ships from little sails to big giants from all cruise lines.Room clean, maid service great, no bathtub, bed uncomfortable, one sided. Rental car advised to see the Island and beautiful beaches Prepare for the crow of the rooster in am/pm.Edrick the Bellman most helpful great personality and smile. Yes I would return but might look into a beachfront rental. For money paid the hotel needs a little updating.

Room Tip: Request higher floor to avoid A/C unit noise. If can afford go for ocean view, my mountain view incl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!