We purchased a Groupon Getaway for this resort. I believe we paid around $1100 for a 4-night all-inclusive stay in an ocean view room. We felt like it was worth what we paid, but would have been a little disappointed if we had to pay full price. We were told that the Maho resort has a better beach and better food. But after seeing it from Maho Bay, it looks like it's located behind another resort and shares the beach with them.
Regardless, here's my analysis of Sonesta Great Bay Resort:
Very nice view of the ocean (not everyone had a nice view, so make sure you get an ocean view room otherwise you'll be looking at the parking lot)
Relatively clean through the resort
Great ocean view from the buffet restaurant
Very good at giving you booze (room had a fridge with beer and 3 5th's of liquor with soda to mix, the bar tenders were always happy to give you drinks, and the evening waiters at La Cuncina and Molasses Restaurant always made sure your wine glass was full)
Not super busy and not super big
Lots of beach chairs and places to enjoy the gorgeous views
beautiful infinity pool with swim up bar
Our room had a nasty smell, but we get used to it after a while.
Sand on the beach was very coarse.
Cheap sheets on an old bed
The water on the beach looks beautiful but there was very poor visibility, so forget about snorkeling off the beach (go to the French side for that).
The Buffet food was okay, but they ended up having a lot of the same food every day. Unless you remember to make reservations for the other two restaurants (only open at night and on certain days), you will be eating at the buffet for every meal.
Recommendations: Get the all inclusive stay but don't pay more than $300/day. Enjoy as much food and alcohol as you can. Stay for at least 4 nights (we wish we would have stayed for 5) Make reservations for the the evening restaurants (they're much better than the buffet). Get to know some people, you'll have a much better time.
Overall we liked it and would go again.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Great Bay Beach
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Sonesta Great Bay
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Maarten-St Martin/Philipsburg
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.