We just returned from a 2-week stay at the Sonesta Great Bay and we really loved our vacation. We found the staff to be lovely and the food was absolutely delicious. We have stayed before at beautiful 5-star hotels on the Mayan Riviera and sure, the rooms at the Great Bay are not as fresh and lux, but, the beds are very comfortable and the view from our oceanside room was amazing.
We ate at the buffet restaurant just about every night because the food is so good. There is always fresh green salad at lunch and dinner and always, always something delicious to fill you up. We used the all-inclusive option and I believe that is definately the best way to go as eating on this island can be very expensive.
We loved the view from the beach and even though we rented a car for the two weeks, we did not venture out in it as much as we thought we would. We just loved to be on the beach in front of this hotel watching the cruise ships and the mega yachts in the bay.
We did venture out to a few beaches and, as promised they are beautiful. The one thing I would say is DO NOT GO TO PIC PARADIS. In the 5 minutes we were gone from our rental car it was broken into and they did a lot of damage to the car. Afterwards we could hear them laughing and talking loudly in the woods down the hill from our car. Obviously they know that we are not going to go and confront them. When we went directly to the police station afterwards, they said ours was the third break-in reported that day at Pic Paradis. There are many other places on the island to get a great view so AVOID PIC PARADIS at all costs!!!
Don't hesitate to book this hotel. I did not want to come home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Maarten-St Martin/Philipsburg