This hotel needs much upgrading. The rooms have a musty smell and even if the air conditioner is kept running the smell does not disappear. The bathroom is full of mold. Not only is there mold on the ceiling tiles but the corners of the walls in the shower also have black mold. The ceiling in the hallways leak and there were blankets placed on the floor the whole length of the hall to collect the water drippng down. The paint was peeling off the corners where the decorative wood moldings were placed.
With the exception of the maid service and a few waitresses in the Bayview restaurant, the service was sub-standard. It took the staff a long time to clean tables, hence you seemed to be always waiting to be seated. It's a good thing that meals were a self-serve buffet because unless Elixabeth was our waitress we could end up not getting any coffee until we were finished our meal. The bar tending staff would rather fill the fridge than wait on customers. We were constantly ignored while we waited to be served and it didn't seem to make the service any better even when we tipped. Most of the staff never smiled or spoke and it seemed like they really did not want to be there.
The night life was virtually non-existent unless you call one individual who sings dances, and plays the guitar appropriate entertainment. I am used to resorts where they put on shows, have singers and dancers who perform and have a disco where you can dance. Even the bars at this hotel close early. The Bayview Bar closes at 10pm and the Lobby Bar closes at 12am. These are not vacation hours.
I would return to Cuba, take a cruise or try a different resort in St. Maarten before I would return to this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Maarten-St Martin/Philipsburg