“Believe the Reviews...Would not stay again” 2 of 5 stars

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Little Bay Road, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Believe the Reviews...Would not stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Well...I didn't want to believe what was written about Divi...but they were right.

We booked our trip through Orbitz and got a GREAT deal for Divi plus airfare from Raleigh, NC. I suspected we would have some issues based on the reviews I read, but was optimistic. When we arrived, I was dissapointed with the general appearance of the property, including a poorly maintained tennis court area, random/haphazard outdoor construction and some rusting and dirt.

Front Desk:
The check-in desk is completely outdoors, and aside from one bench, there really is not a place for guests to sit and relax.

Concierge:
Staff is friendly and helpful

Restaurants/bars:
Overpriced, but we had to go because we had a $50 resort credit from Orbitz. We definitly milked the happy hours at the 3 bars. They serve 1/2 price drinks during those times. We also hit up the weekly manager cocktail hour as well as the sunday orientation for mimosas and rum punch. The hotel also gives you 3 free rum punches per guest...they are strong! The staff in the bars are VERY friendly and fun to be around...be careful for Gizmo the parrot...she can be moody!

Pools:
We found them to be dirty, but we didn't spend much time in them since the ocean water was so warm. The infinity pool is closed because of construction.

The Beach:
The beach is clean but there is no beach side service and there is much to be desired as far as luxury.

The Room:
A HUGE dissapointment. The pictures on their website (naturally) are very misleading. They told us that we would have a hotel room that was remodeled within the past 2 years...you could have fooled us! There was mildew in the bathroom, the furniture was old, the linens and pillows looked very worn. It was at the level of an old holiday inn or howard johnson. We did have an opportunity to see the timeshare rooms...those rooms are very nice and are at the level of a Westin. The timeshare rooms are the rooms that they advertise on their website, the hotel is definitely an afterthought. The only good thing about the hotel is that you are on the ocean and you do have a cute little balcony to overlook the water.

Timeshare Presentation:
They say they aren't a hard sell, but they are (big surprise). You get a $100 resort credit if you do the presentation. The timeshare folks are very agressive and rude (big surprise, again). One thing to be weary of: I wouldn't consider the staff very savy with finance so my partner and I definitely felt like the discussion we had with them was very simple. Our most memorable moment was when they emphasized market value was approx $20,000, but "today only" they could give us a one bedroom for $16,000. "Fortunately," another family decided to upgrade their one bedroom to a two bedroom, so they were able to get special permission from their manager to sell us a one bedroom for $12600...lucky us...what happened to market value? Oh well, we were just curious to hear about the timeshare component...and I wanted to see where the rooms from the website were located since we definitely didn't have one of those rooms.

If we went to St. Maarten again, we would definitely NOT stay here. For a few extra dollars a night, we could have had a much more modern, cleaner and more proactive staff.

• Liked — The BBCs at the Bar...you NEED to have one!
  • Disliked — the room was sub par
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

I was very dispappointed and had a very bad experience at the Divi Little Bay hotel. The front desk employees are not very helpful. When I went to complained about my room the girl at the front desk told me she will be right back, I waited 45 minutes and she never came back. There was never a manager around for me to complained too. My husband and I took a bad situation and made the best out of it.

1. The bathroom was horrible, we had water coming through the light fixture and the ceiling over the toilet. When we complained they told us they had other emergencies and will get to us when they can; the towel rack kept falling apart, and the mirror on the wall kept falling down. We had to be our own repairman in order to get things done. The closet door kept coming off the track.

2. We couldn't get face cloths to wash our faces, we were told there were a shortage on face cloths. We had to go to the front desk everyday so we can get face cloths. The bathtub was so rusty I thought it was dirty.

3. The Maids were very lazy, they would mop our room with dirty water, and track it with their shoes and left a mess, and when they did change our sheets they didn't even have King Size sheets for our bed they were using queen size sheets.

4. The balcony was dirty I had to clean it myself, it was dead bugs all over the place, the table was dirty.

5. The restaurants was excellent the food was good, but the waitress Maxineis not very friendly, Maxine was one of our waitress with a attitude problemshe was horrible once she serve you she never came back to see if you needed water or something to drink, she act like she was doing you a favor by serving you. She needs to take personality classes and learn how to treat guests.

6. We had a bartender name Leroy he was excellent, we were very please with him and he made our stay a pleasure considering what we were going throu.

My overview of this resort is -1 and I do not recommend the resort to anyone else. I will never go back to this resort again. I will sent photo at a later date.

• Liked — the bartender Leroy
  • Disliked — The room, and the front desk staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Englewood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

There is no place to properly begin describing the horrors of this place. Of everywhere I've traveled in the Caribbean and the world, I have never experienced such grief. For a hotel regarded at the class it is, I found it fell way below what might be regarded as a 2 star. The outlay of the hotel is awkward at best. You have to walk for what seems like miles uphill if you are placed in one of the disgusting outdated rooms. The newer rooms are better, but the size of a matchbox. Maid service is infrequent and the rooms are dirty.
The staff (maids) rummage through your drawers when you're out and steal anything of value they can find. USE THE SAFE FOR EVERYTHING! My mp3player was stolen from the bottom of my panty drawer! My rental car was broken into in the parking lot. OK. Nuff said. The manager would do NOTHING about it. No gift certificate, replacement mp3, no hotel credit. NOTHING!
Please, save your money and your time and select another travel destination. There are so many better places to go where you'll get much more (better accommodations, service, class) for much less!
A dirty, nasty, dump! Worst vacation of my life! (I travel twice a year for 25 years.) 4 star my [--]! Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — The massage at the spa
  • Disliked — It was outdated, dirty, smelled funny, and you never knew what would be missing when you got back to your room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

The Divi Little is perfect if you want a semi-secluded beach. It was clean, nice, and had everything you needed. We rented a car so didn't hang out that much on the beach, but after sightseeing it was perfect to come back and jump in the ocean.
We rented the BBQ Donut at resort. It was great! If you have a large group you're going with (it seats up to 9-10 people) it's a must. You can even get a grill so you can cook on it. We only had the coolers, but we took over to Great Bay and went swimming. It was a really fun time!

• Liked — Beach/Location
  • Disliked — A little slow in cleaning the room, and one time had no towels until late afternoon.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Divi Little Bay Resort after I won a travel auction from our local public radio station. I was a bit leary at first but called the hotel and added a couple days on top of it. I got more then I bargained for. The 3 nights was a one bedroom suite and the two nights I added was a studio. However, when I checked out after the 3 nights they just let us stay in the same room and didn't bother moving us, which was great for us. It doesn't matter what room you have there, you are bound to have a fantasic view of the ocean. Unlike other hotels where you have to pay for an ocean view. The rooms had all our amentities and were very clean. We didn't have room service every day and in fact we only had it once but we were checked on for fresh towels on occasion. That was more then fine with us.
The resort is set up like a little village. You never felt like you were under someone elses' feet because there was always another part of the resort to go. I liked having a taxi there whenever we needed one or renting a vehicle. There were 3 places to eat and the food was good and affordable. The beaches were clean, as were the pools. Most of the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Overall, it was a 2 thumbs up.
One thing I would recommend. After you get checked in and unpacked, view the local attractions and book what you want to do as soon as you decide. We waited until the day before we wanted to do something and it was booked up. Also, there is no longer a company around that does the "Swimming with the Dolphins" tour although it is still advertised there.

• Liked — The village like setting.
  • Disliked — Still under construction.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
indianapolis, in
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at Divi Little Bay and had a wonderful time. The resort is very nice . Our room was ok , it was a little dated ,but it served it purpose. The beach their is nice. I recommend renting a car for the week and explore all the islands lovely beaches. I would also recommend taking the ferry over to Pinel Island , it was a beautiful day. We can't wait until our next visit in Feburary.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — our room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

This resort is definitely more than I expected based on previous reviews and the star rating. We stayed in a beautiful, newly remodeled Casita Suite. It was gorgeous, modern, clean, spacious and came with every amenity including a fully stocked mini kitchen and huge shower with multiple shower heads. Definitely the best bang for your buck here.

The staff at the resort were friendly and helpful. Room service and service at the restaurant weren't speedy, but I can say the same for the rest of St. Martin. As we were reminded, we were on island time and we were fine with that. Food at the restaurant was good, not great. But with so many great options around the island, you'd want to step off the resort.

The resort entrance was guarded and had a private parking lot. The private beach was clean, safe and great to swim in. There were also pools and a number of bars. There was a little grocery store on the resort along with a store that had some of the best prices on cigars and liquor that we found.

We rented a car which I would definitely recommend. In addition to the fact the island was easily navigable and there was so much to see, the resort was a little ways away from nightlife, shopping, etc.

I will definitely be back and would definitely stay at this resort again!

Some island tips...check out 1) Lee's Roadside Grill for the best ribs 2) Grand Case for some fine, fancier restaurants with great food 3) Lotterie Farm for some EXTREME zip lining 4) Sunset Beach Bar to grab some drinks and watch the planes fly as well as the sunset 5) Maho Bay for some fun nightlife and 6) definitely, definitely, take the short ferry ride over to Anguilla and check out Shoal Bay. One of the top 10 beaches in the world and absolutely worth the trip!

• Liked — The suite - huge, new, clean, had everything we wanted
  • Disliked — Location was about 10-15 minutes from everything (except Philipsburg)
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!