“long time to check in” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
Dallas, Texas
“long time to check in”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We came off a ship and had rservations for one night....got to the hotel at 10am but were unable to check in until after 5pm....no apparent reason for the delay....no one previously in the condo...room was nice enough...nice beach...limited choices for places to eat....had both luch and dinner at the pool bar....check out in the am slow...no one ever came to help with bags....OK overall but would chosse someplace else in the future...

Room Tip: ask for ocean view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Harwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were at Divi in 2012 and had an excellent time, couldn't understand some of the negative reviews we had read. Actually a travel agent had arranged for our visit. Just before we left last year a manager had talked me into coming back with this program called Dreamscapes at a very good price for a studio just like we had used. Ok so we came back and the person at the front desk looked at the Dreamscapes papers like I was from space, any way we got a studio on the first floor which I didn't want but was fine. There was no screen door on the slider which you really need on the ground floor, the remote control for the TV was broke as was the ceiling fan switch. The refrigerator freezer was closed up with ice. In all fairness this is a beach resort so things will break and there won't be the same attention to detail as in a big city hotel. I did get a screen door within 2 days but I defrosted the freezer myself and fixed the remote with tape so that it held together. Not sure what has happened in one year but the housekeeping staff has gone downhill, last year they were very good not so this year. There doesn't seem to be enough maintenance people to keep up with things. The front desk people are clueless, part of my " package " was a $100.00 gift certificate that I had to ask for when checking out, even then I got the what are you talking about speech. The last negative thing for me is the information staff which is another name for low level sales people, they will bug you until you are ready to scream. It seems like we spent half the time trying to avoid them. Last year there was only one lady to avoid this year they were parked everywhere.
On the bright side it is a lovely place location wise, the views of Little Bay and the larger bay on the back side are beautiful. The groundskeepers are very good. The security staff are very friendly and all the food service people from the bartenders to the waitstaff are great. All the food outlets are very good especially our favorite Gizmo's. The prices are not bad at all. The gold star belongs to Eugenie in the activities office, she is fantastic she knows all the best things to do and will book all the best trips for you. I can't say enough good things about her.
I was Divi Little Bays biggest booster in Ma. last year but I'm not so sure any more, maybe it was a freak bad visit, I've been in the hotel business my whole life so I'm very understanding of how hard it is to be consistent but this was not nearly as good as last year. I may try again in a few years but they need to work on a lot of problems.

Room Tip: Studio on the second floor or higher. Farther up the hill the better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
poughkeepsie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here in a timeshare unit 2/2/13 thru 2/9/13. Resort also has hotel units facing ocean with beach access. Resort has three separate beaches, three swimming pools and four hot tubs. Several restaurants, snack bar and small grocery store on site. Several events during week, caribbean night and other buffets at the restaurants. No problem getting beach chair, umbrella or towel. Staff very friendly and courteous. From the bay side you can see the cruise ships pulling in in the morning and leaving at night. The ONLY negative is a very aggressive timeshare presence who continually pursue you even after you have said you are not interested; so, beware of any free offers, raffles, etc. if you are not timeshare savvy and do not want to sit through several hours of a presentation and/or tour. I was there with my wife, but there were several families with young children also there. Only a fifteen minute walk into Philipsburg, and taxi stand and car rental agency on the grounds. If you like the beach, this is the place.

Room Tip: Specify ocean or bay view if that is important to you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall the grounds and location are beautiful. You really can't get better views and the rooms are big. However, when we arrived we were given an apartment that only fit 4 people when we made a reservation for 6. We ended up having to use cots and we weren't happy. They couldn't even accommodate us in a different room.
Overall the staff was not helpful and rude. When we would call the front desk for house keeping they would never come. We needed another pan, they didn't bring it, they only cleaned out room once in the 4 night stay.
Lastly, we were yelled at by that Towel people and I couldn't believe they would treat a guest as they did. Apparently we were given a towel card that needed to be presented every time we got towels. So we went to get towels and the man never asked for the card, then we went to get towels again and were asked for the card which we didn't have on us and said we were given towels before without it. The answer we received was that we were given the towels because we were "girls" and then I hear the man in the background yell "this is what happens when you try to help someone, they take full advantage"

I warn everyone that goes there that if you expect service this isn't the place for you, however in terms of the best views in st Martin, you can't get better.

• Stayed February 2013
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Spent one night at Little Divi Philipsburg post-cruise, pre-flight in January 2013. Hotel is situated beautifully, with views of Philipsburg and ocean, and is a convenient stop between the cruise terminal and the airport. Room was nice, with picturesque view of ocean. Disappointment a result of ants in room (on baseboards and bathroom vanities), lack of hotwater until we called to complain, and attitude of staff. Got the impression that our requests (ie. hot water in the shower and towels for the beach) were an annoyance or an interuption to their day. There is a small market on site, but the prices are astronomical, even by St. Martin standards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had been in a Divi resort 15 years ago in Aruba, liked it and thought I'd stay there in St. Maarten. Good choice. Hits: 1) lovely room looking out at cruise ships every morning and every night. Looked like a million Christmas trees sailing by in the gloom, beautiful. 2) terrific beach, quiet, clean crescent shaped, 3) large buffet at breakfast 4) coffee shop/ beer and provisions right in the middle of the resort with terrific breakfast sandwiches that were hot and huge, my wife and I split one almost every morning for $6, 5) activity lady was terrific, as were all the staff to us.
Misses:1) cleaning lady did a good job but didn't get to our room until late afternoon most days, 2) buffet was huge but costs $16 so $32 every morning doesn't work for me.

Room Tip: ger second floor in the middle, great views and convient
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

my 1st time in St.Maarten and Divi resorts as well. I really like the stay. Rooms were newly renovated. beautiful ocean view. beach is very quiet and clean. proximity of room to beach is unbelievable. staff is very friendly and accommodating.

minor con is that we did not have remove for TV and requested.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!