“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Philipsburg
Southold, New York
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our first time visiting Saint Maarten, though we were traveling with family who gave owned timeshares at Divi for years. We soon found out why they selected this beautiful place: It is large enough to provide everything you need, but small enough to provide a friendly, "homey" atmosphere. Our room had an amazing view of the sea, though when we were there construction was being done after a recent storm. We never ate at the restaurant on the premises, preferring to sample the cuisine around Phillipsburg. The staff at this hotel was very friendly and accommodating and the grounds were well-kept. We would love to visit this place again.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Richmond Hill, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Upon arrival, the staff greeted us nicely, but, they put us in a mosquito infested room. We asked them to send someone to spray the room; they dropped off a can of spray. Room 222 was uninhabitable. The furniture was cheap rattan, the plastic chairs on the patio were filthy; they looked as if someone used them to do maintenance work. There was no bedspread. There was no hot water in the showerk and the jaquzzi didn't work, at all. After an hour or so, I asked for another room. We were told that it was the only other room available; It happened to be much better than 222. We had to climb 2 flights of stairs, We had my 79yr old mother with us. After that the vacation went well. I didn't appreciate being put in that room orignally. We stayed for six days and no one ever occupied that room. I truly believe they are not very nice to people of color!!! This is my third time to the island, next time I'll find another resort to vacation at. It most certainly won't be the Divi!!!

Room Tip: If the room is not to your satisfaction from the onset, turn around and head back to the front desk...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fort Bragg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The most beautiful beach in St. Maarten. Calm waters during my week stay. I enjoyed listening to the waves late into the night. The pool bar is a good spot during "Happy Hour" to meet fellow quests. Live music in the evening at the Beach Bar.
A grocery store is on site, pricey. My advice is to buy your food at a store in town.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Studio on level 2 (room number 323). The location is in the middle of the hill. Qu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Came into St. Maarten the evening of November 18, 2012. The front desk staff were not very friendly and did not properly greet us. Very distracted and just asked for name in which reservation was under. They messed up our reservation, which I had booked back in June of 2012 and put us in a room that was not what we paid for. Did not tell us that they did not have my room and let us go to the room only for me to call them at the desk and tell them it was the wrong room. Had to wait almost 1/2 hour for the one bellman to come back for us with the golf cart. Told to leave our luggage there in the room, not a good sign.

Had to stay in that room that night. They downgraded us to a junior suite from the Casita 1 bedroom suite we booked. Needless to say we found other accommodations and checked out MOnday and went to a resort we love instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for posting your Divi Little Bay experience. We are very sorry to read that our Front Desk didn’t inform you about the room type you were sent to. Our Front Desk Manager spoke to you the following morning, apologized and offered you another room and breakfast.
Unfortunately, you already booked another resort and had already called for someone to pick you up.

Seeing that you already made this decision, we informed you right away that we would refund your entire stay and pay back the difference in room type between the room type you stayed in and the room type you booked in the first place.

We hope you have had a great time on our beautiful island!

Celine
Lenoir, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This has got to be one of the most beautiful beaches ever! I am usually a little scared of the ocean, but this was so calm and warm that even I spent a ton of time in the water. Also we had a wonderful view of the ocean from our 1 bedroom suite which had all the conveniences we could ask for and also several very nice pools to choose from

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brownsboro, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is definitely a timeshare resort, but absolutely a delight. We exchanged in and stayed in a studio in the towers and loved it. We were in the towers on the third floor and had a fantastic view of little bay. A wonderully modern and well equipped mini- kitchen. A very comfortable and clean room and a fantastic huge jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. (the tub in the studio bathroom is much bigger than the tub in the 1BR and 2BR units on the tour) Really couldn't ask for more. We met a bunch of Divi owners that keep coming back, with good reason.

Head out to Grand Marche which has to be best grocery store around. It is just huge, reasonably priced and well stocked. Load up your fridge and get ready for a great week.

Be careful to study the door lock to your balcony. I found out the hard way that it is actually possible to lock yourself out on the wonderful shady balcony. Woops! At least the view is awesome!

Check in was a little delayed, but not a big hassle. Just grab a drink or two and stick your feet in the sand or water. Saturday is the big crunch day for check-out and check-in.

Plan on doing some snorkeling right off the beach. The cruise ships drop their excursions off right off Fort Amsterdam. It is a great chuckle to realize you are able to easily get to the same spot and see great fish only twenty feet off the beach. You can rent stuff at the beach, or bring your own.

There are different happy hour times for the bars. Watch the crowd slowly move and you'll figure it out. Get to know Juan and Guillaume who will be your best buds at the bar. Be sure to try some of the guavaberry - especially at half price!

Timeshare sales pitch? Don't be scared of this one. No torture or high pressure at this one. Sure enough we were able to get $100 Divi Dollars for really only 1:15 of time. Haresh - It was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks.

We just had one meal at Gizmo's Bar and one in the main restaurant. Food was good, but not really mind blowing.

Do walk out to Fort Amsterdam and bring your camera. Sunset from the infinity pool is something you will never forget.

We have stayed on the French side twice before, but we actually we will definitely stay on the Dutch side from now on. Yes there is traffic in Phllipsburg, but if you rent a car and park on the back side by the ponds, there is plenty of free parking, just a little walking involved. The beaches are just as nice and the fact that there is more activity means it is just a little easier to get what you want. There is also more to watch in the bays.

We will be back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Higher up in the towers means a better view. If you are in a beach front room, you want front row...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Waverly, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I exchanged thru RCI for Divi Little Bay again! Such a lovely spot. This trip was from Oct 20-29..hoooraaaay for 2 extra days! Seven are never enough. Elvis at Guest Relations was very friendly, smiling continually, and efficient for check-in while the steel drum band played and I enjoyed a Planter's punch (on the house). So happy to see Russell again (bellman)..I told him he had helped my daughter and myself 5 years earlier and would not expect him to remember, but we sure remembered him! Very helpful and friendly..he even insisted on helping me move my luggage to another room, tho he had already gone on to help others. (i was given a room on flirst floor and did not feel comfortable as I was traveling alone) He later saw me coming out of the room and insisted he help me move..2 floors ups!! and no elevator. Good for exercising your calves!
My studio was lovely and had everything one needs. Fabulous jacuzzi and lots of fresh towels. Veronica made sure my stay was great ..beautiful flower arrangement (inside artfully arranged towel!) appeared from her!
The Indulgence by the Sea spa was wonderful too with a great massage with the ocean right outside picture window. The beach is wonderful, with chairs and umbrellas cheerfully set up by Justin. Water Sports "shak" people were all nice and helpful. The views from my room were superior...waves at nite were so comforting and restful.. I left the doors to balcony open and used the ceiling fan serveral nites. (what a memory!) The grounds are very well landscaped and maintained. Had great pizza made by Mimi at Gizmo's Bar(?) .. jerk chicken pizza! So much to love about Divi.. which is I have returned and always will!
Oh ..the Infinity pool right near my room was the best for sunset photo opportunity!!

Room Tip: in the condos by Infinity pool!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!