“a good base to explore from” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belair Beach Hotel

You added Belair Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Belair Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Little Bay Beach | P.O. Box 940, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
“a good base to explore from”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

this is our third time to st martin, the place is a little out-dated but well kept.beach is nice and the pool is good if the water is to ruff we took my dauther and sun-inlaw with us this time, for the people that have been to st martin you can guess the beach that i took him to :), a car is needed to explore rent it from the hotel, the rates are the best we could find they pick you up and drop you off at the airport. in my pictures is a place that we are standing in front of that is closed, we found the place in the early 90s they had the best OJ and pastrys we would go every morning we miss the place. when i have more time i will review the places that we ate at

Room Tip: upper rooms have best view,
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Service-I could not express more positivity about the staff and service at this establishment! They were very kind, very helpful, and extremely knowledgeable about local activities and the scene.

Value: If I had another couple to travel with it would have been PERFECT. However, it was just me and it was crazy for me to be there-all the apartments are 2 bedroom/2 bathroom! I travel alone and desperately needed a place to stay. Hurricane Sandy sort of messed me up, as a lot of people decided to come down to the island just before peak season and take hotels that I might have stayed in, so I was sort of 'forced' into staying at the Belair Beach Hotel...much more than I planned to spend! But, still less than I would expect for all that space and those accommodations anywhere else.

Sleep Quality: A few days I awoke to some minor repairs being done, but they were all done in less than 15 minutes and were reasonable amounts of noise to maintain a nice facility.
My bed was so-so...I woke up with a sore lower back, not such an uncommon occurrence, but still frustrating!
Cleanliness: Lovely. No complaints whatsoever.

Location: Want nightlife? Stay in Simpson Bay or Maho bay. Want a mellow evening and lovely stars to look at? Stay at the Belair. If you have a car (cheaply rented on the island, check out Unity car rental), you can drive easily in the evening for your nightlife-but watch out for the winding roads if you're drinking!!

Rooms-spacious, no complaints. Well furnished.

NO FITNESS CENTER :(! However from the size of many of the guests I'm guessing that this would be little more than wasted space for them.

Spa: See Fitness Center.

Room Tip: If you go to the restaurant for dinner, order the amazing blackened Mahi Mahi! Sooooooo Good! I ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'll admit, I was a bit nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews....but not to worry.
This is a nice, quiet place with friendly staff and decent location.
Agreed, this is not the RITZ and it is a bit dated but it is clean, the people are quite nice, the food is good and we would return.
We shopped at the grocery store (not the one onsite) although it had most things you would need for convenience.
We got water, beer, coffee and breakfast food to cook in our room before heading out for a day of diving.
We did enjoy going to the bar (very friendly staff) but we also packed a cooler and brought beers from our room and hung out in the lounge chairs by the beach. They can be reserved for you but it's not a perfect system. You are supposed to get a chair for the week and it's the same but it wasn't as smooth as one would think. All and all, they do the work for you and find you a spot.
There are not many kids here. It is more of an older crowd and empty nesters - no kids, screaming and running about - I loved it! If you want a 5 star hotel, this is not the place but if you did your research, you would know that in advance. Renting a car is a must but it's pretty reasonable. You are close to Philipsburg, Simpson Bay and the airport is about a 15 minute drive.
You are right on the water so thats a big plus. You can walk over to the Divi but I was semi-impressed. Some reviews said that was the better place and people wished they'd stayed there...not sure why. Okay, it is bigger but big deal. The Belair was just fine and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: They are all good We stayed on the 2nd fl and that was nice - one 1 flight of stairs to climb (but...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
gregoryevan, Manager at Belair Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We are so glad that you had a wonderful time. That is what is all about - happy guests.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The bar and beach was by far the best part. One night we even had a huge Bar be que. renting a car is worth it as the hotel is a tad out of town but the view is so worth it. Remember to check in at the beach cabana so they can assign your beach chairs for the duration of your stay. We were lucky to get chairs by the bar. I recommend the hotel if you like an easy going atmosphere. It's not ritzy but it's vacation living. Every room has a view of the ocean.

• Stayed April 2012
Voorhees, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just got back from Belair Beach on Nov. 3 and had a great time. No, this isn't a luxury resort, but the rooms are huge, the location is great and the ocean view is spectacular. You'll need a car, but Philipsburg is an easy 5 minute drive and Simpson Bay is about 15 minutes away.

Pros: location; very quiet setting; nice people; good meals at the Gingerbread Cafe; spacious rooms; functional kitchen; large balconies; wonderful views. Cons: first tier of the beach is all but gone; there are rocks that make going in and out of the water painful; wi-fi is spotty; welcome wine and cheese night was weak. Granted, the rooms are a bit tired and could use some updating, but they are comfortable enough. Also, the amenities, although limited, are nice touches. These include Lorna, the activities director, who is helpful; and the tiny store, Jody's, which will get you by for a day or so with snacks, liquor and lotions. You can also walk over to the Divi (a two-minute walk), which has more extensive restaurants and shops.

One more negative and one more positive: We were there in off-season and the place was maybe half full. On many days, there might have been 10 people on the beach. However, there were about 70 chaises lined up on the small beach, row after row. It became diffcult to weave through all the empty chairs to get to your assigned spot. Ending on a positive note, there was absolutely no pressure to buy a timeshare or attend a presentation.

I guess all we needed was a beach, a blender, an ice-maker and a view. Belair Beach has all that and much more.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth (top) floor, where the views were the best. However, all units have ocean v...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mother nature does what it wants to do. Unfortunately when you were here there were heavy waves from a storm out at sea which took the beach away but it does come back. For the week of Nov 3 we averaged 84% occupancy. With 36 beaches on the island a lot of people do go to other ones especially since our beach was damaged at the time. We had to have the beach chairs up in case our guests wanted to stay on our beach. Glad you had a good time. We sure try to satisfy everyone.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Temecula, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My brother and I visited the last week of October and the weather was perfect... somehow we missed Hurricane Sandy except for a few swells that affected sailing and scuba. I loved overlooking the beach and watching the cruise ships sail in from our balcony. It was easy to get to all attractions. Very spacious and I felt the staff was very friendly. I would highly recommend mosquito repellent as that was the only downside to our stay. We had bite after bite. I spoke to someone who stayed on "The French Side" and she had the same issue so I think it was the time of year, not to mention they had a big storm a couple weeks earlier. Great value for the money (we did an RCI exchange with my Worldmark points).

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor toward the back. I'd recommend being up on 2nd or 3rd floor for a beaut...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
As for the mosquitos - When it rains we have mosquitos the next day. We spray and spray but unfortunately it is the entire island and the Government does not spray so we spray but other areas aren't sprayed so they just come back. This is one of the penalties of "living in Paradise" but it is worth it!

Hope to see you again soon.
Kennewick, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel because my folks have a time share here. It has gone down hill since my last trip eight years ago, even though they said, they have done upgrades. If you are looking for a nice beach you have come to the right place. The only problem is the lack of sand due to the hurricane. The people are friendly but overall the place needs to be renovated! The lani's are huge and you have a nice view of Big Bay and ships coming and going out of Phillipsburg. If you are a pool lover forget this hotel!! Gingerbread cafe has good food if you don't feel like going out. Locations is ideal if you have a rental car. The wi-fi is horrible!!!! Get mosqito repelant they are realy bad! Rooms are ok but we had to stay in the 2nd bdrm and it is SMALL! Overall it's just ok.

Room Tip: I would choose the upper floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belair Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!