“best kept secret in St. Martin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino
You added Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino to your Saves list
155 Union Rd | Cole Bay, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Philipsburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“best kept secret in St. Martin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2005

I had to write this review because I was shocked to read what people wrote about this gem of a place. Not perfection mind you...yes there is no real beach.... and yes it is a pain to park and walk to your room.....but think of it as good exercise....but the view at sunset....the pool bar vista's of the entire island....the room size (if you pay for a one bedroom or two) is great. I agree the rooms could use some sprucing up (which they need to do soon) but they truly aren't that bad. Ask for a room facing West for the best sunset views. The pool itself with waterfall is lovely and most of the rooms are located right off the pool...very convenient. We have returned to this property twice (St. Martin 15 times) and we are going again next week..we have been around the block a few times when it comes to travel...and we think this island and this place are great. I found the staff helpful as well. Very close to the great restaurants in Simpson Bay. Also the gym is fully equipped for a great workout.

The owner needs to realize this place could be a 5 star resort if he invested in updating just a bit...but don't let this steer you away from this best kept secret.

Stayed January 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jacksonville, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

My husband & I stayed here on our last night as the villa we stayed 5 nights prior was taken. I'm so glad it was for only 1 night. While the grounds are very well manicured, the rooms are dreadful. Size-wise, ours was like small efficiency appartments. Plenty enough room with full kitchen..BUT...the cloth on the couch was horribly stained (put a towel down first stained) and the drapes...on both side where they come together, major tears and rips, like a dog had attacked them. Unbelievable that they would rent a room with drapes like this...it's the first place you walk to when you go through the door...the drapes to pull open and see the view. Don't they have a stock of 1 or 2 pair for replacements?? A simple coat of paint to remove the mildew in the bath vent would have been nice. Frig didn't work (not a problem for one night) but insisted on fixing it on our time (not really a problem) but when they left, they left the filth and mess that came when they pulled it out. The biggest thing I didn't like was the distance from our car to the room...too far to walk with luggage that they ride a Camry through the paved sidewalks to take you and pick you up. Good thing though cause it was raining. Their attempt to soften the distance problem. The casino...well, I've been to every one on the island, even the Jump Up (for those of you are familiar) and I found this casino to be staffed with folks that were just a bit "lazy"..not slow, like island slow, just acted like they didn't want to be there and didn't care if you were there either. Couldn't get a drink on the floor, went to the bar, but the bartender just turned away and wiped the counter, rinsed off a glass or two and just wasn't concerned with providing service. But aside from the staff, the slots are mostly modern and lots of table games. Not the best on the island for sure. The place is lovely on the outside and for a small amount of money they could make big improvements on things I consider simple requirements. If you're on a budget or just need one night and are OK with dirty rooms, the place would work. But it is truly a waste of a potentially very upscale place.

Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed here August 29, 2004 through September 4, 2004 and were very disappointed with this resort. Like other reviewers, I believe at one time this resort was a fabulous 5 star resort and could be again. Unfortunately, this will probably not come to fruition because the current owner is all about the casino. This place has such potential that during our holiday I kept wishing I had money to make an offer to buy the place so I could bring this resort back to it's beauty. The things that we did love about this place 1) the Pool Bar - has the best view and is quite relaxing (although we only got to enjoy it one day - see below about everything being closed), 2) the French Restaurant on the grounds (I think it is called La Guingette). The restaurant had only been open a month, but we ate there 3 times during our stay. The food was some of the best we ever had (especially the Tiliapia) and the owners extremely friendly!! We also liked the landscaping (although it has so much more potential). What we did not like: 1) although we knew it was the slow season, the couple of times I called before we arrived, no one thought to mention that every restaurant and bar on the grounds would be closed (except the French Restaurant); 2) the rooms were outdated and dirty, ie - stains on furniture, fans that did not work, tiles missing from the bathroom; 3) the pool - broken umbrellas (and although we requested new ones be brought up they never arrived), hundreds and hundreds of tiles missing from the pool; 4) the staff - very unfriendly and unaccomodating - even though I don't think there were more than 30 people staying at the resort!

• Stayed August 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

My sisters and I stayed at this resort during the week of August 22nd, 2004. I'm sure at one point in time, this was considered a very nice resort. Aesthetically, the resort itself is pleasing to the eye, but when you take a closer look you'll see there is still much to be done. It is a large property, yet they didn't have any maps of the resort for the guests. We found ourselves constantly questioning the front desk with "Where's the bar?", "Where's the pool?", etc. It was quite frustrating. When we checked into our room, we found a number of problems and eyesores(extremely low water pressure, a ceiling fan that looked as if it might come unhinged from the ceiling and take flight when turned on, shower heads that either didn't work properly or were 'locked' (why it was locked is still a mystery) filthy furniture with mystery stains and holes, a hole in the curtain big enough for me to stick my head through, a room safe that didn't work). After several calls, and several trips by the maintenance crew, most of the problems were resolved. One of the biggest headaches was the property's lack of proper communication to guests as far as the resort's facilities and their availability. Upon check-in, we were handed a small packet of information, most of which was erroneous, that referenced events that weren't taking place and restaurants that weren't open. It was quite frustrating to get dressed and prepared for a fun late afternoon happy hour drink (as advertised by one of the flyers given to us) only to arrive at the bar and discover it wasn't even open. If an extremely serene atmosphere is what you're seeking, then Port de Plaisance may be for you. But be warned: If you go during off season, be prepared to leave the resort for most of your activities and excitement. There is, however, a casino on the property, so that can make for a good time. But if you're looking for a nice beach, this is not the place. Because the resort is at a marina, they really have no beach to speak of, and the waters of Simpson Bay are not ideal to swim in. However, if you merely seek to sunbathe and aren't concerned with getting in the water, that small patch of sand may work for you. To be fair, the resort does have free bicycles for the guests use, as well as free kayaking. But there are no boat rides, cruises, etc. that depart from the property, even though it is a marina. Also, if you stay during the off season, be sure to rent a car as the property really isn't within walking distance of anything. Perhaps things change drastially during the high season, but I'll probably never know since I don't plan to stay at the resort again. This was my third trip to the island, and I have stayed at a different property each time -- I would rate my experience at Port de Plaisance to be at the bottom of the list thus far.

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

My wife and I spent a week at this resort in April, 2004. We were treated very well by the staff, the security is excellent and it is convenient to most of the island. We also had a large outdoor balcony which was great for morning coffee with an excellent view of some of the most impressive yachts visiting the island.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2004

I stayed at this hotel in July 2003. The resort is in dire need of renovations. The lobby and casino of the hotel are pretty nice and up to date. However, when we entered our room, it was a very distinct and musty smell, which could have been eliminated with new furniture and a coat of paint. In a few days, we got used to it and it didn't bother us as much. The bathroom ceiling would leak when we got showers and the fixtures were slighty dated. Despite these issues, our room was clean. The pool was slightly dingy looking and also in need of renovation - we opted for sunbathing. Our room was located a LONG walk away from the front lobby (which is the closest point the taxi driver could drop us off at) which was a little wierd at night, but we never felt unsafe. Overall, I would stay here again but probably only if I could not get reasonable accomodations elsewhere.

Citrus Heights, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2003

Stayed only one day at Princess Port de Plaisance before boarding a Windjammer Cruise. Found the property to be beautiful, but empty of other tourists. Felt the free airport shuttle (offered by Expedia) increased the value of my stay considerably since it was $12US taxi fare each way into Phillipsburg. The shuttle service was waiting for me at the airport upon my arrival and was prompt to meet my scheduled departure to the ship. Other tour operators also offered a free car rental. I found the pool to be beautiful, the poolside bar to have the best view of the harbor and the service to be friendly. My Jr Suite was clean with a balcony that over looked the bay and a full kitchen. I would recommend anyone to stay here if they have no need to travel often into town. For a stay longer than mine, a rental car would be a must.

Been to Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!