You added The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten to your Saves list
Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
“Just OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I've stayed at other places on St. Maarten that I have enjoyed better. There is nothing wrong with this hotel . . . room is nice, oceanfront room that I booked was oceanfront, beautiful pool, free breakfast included with our package was very good. Overall, you can't complain about a vacation in St. Maarten, but I strongly suggest that you look into all of your options. I stayed here because the price was right for Thanksgiving week, and the photos of the pool lead me to believe I couldn't go wrong. I likely will not stay again, though.

Cons:
1) I was traveling with family and asked at the time of reservation, and called a week before my trip to confirm that our rooms were next to each other. Both times I was told that it would be no problem. At check-in . . . rooms weren't together, nor could they accommodate us. The manager made up for it with 2 extra breakfast coupons per day of our stay. This more than made up for the negative check-in experience.
2) I usually book my excursions/day trips before my trip on my own. This time, I decided to use the hotel concierge at the activity desk. BIG MISTAKE. I had a receipt that my trip was booked, but on the last day of our trip when the driver came to pick us up, we weren't on his list. They still let us board and sit on the bus ride for the 90 minute ride, only to let us find out when we got to the snorkeling company that our names weren't on the list. The Westin booked us on the wrong day with the company, but my receipt and the day I arrived was correct. Thankfully, I had my receipt and the snorkeling company accommodated us, after some argument and telling us that the Westin assumed we would be ok with going on another trip. I complained to the manager and he took notes, but no follow-up. As I checked out the next day, the manager of the activity desk chased me down to apologize profusely, hoping that the trip more than made up for the oversight. Yes, it did. But it still doesn't excuse their total incompetence.
3) The beach at this resort isn't the best. Very rough water and not the best for swimming. On the last day of our visit the water was calmer, but there was a strong undercurrent that was dangerous for competent swimmers.
4) The room phones don't work, and wifi in the rooms is $20/day, so we couldn't connect via phone with the family we were traveling with since the hotel could not accommodate us near each other. How do the phones in a hotel not work?
5) The timeshare people can be pushy. I just told them that I had already been on the tour and bought 2 units. They smiled because they thought I bought and I smiled because it was funny that they believed me.

Room Tip: I personally enjoyed the oceanfront room - it was free for SPG members at a promotion rate, so I cho...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Hungarian first
Byron Center, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We were on a cruise and one of the ports was St Maarten. We chose a day pass at the Westin and we very pleased. the room was one of the best rooms I've been in anywhere! The pool and public areas were beautiful and spotless. The staff was excellent!

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at this Westin location for two nights before we caught our cruise. It is a good location to get to the dock and Front Street. The cab ride was short and a bit expensive at $20.00 US. As the cab ride in from the airport was only $30.00 and a lot farther. The room was very nice and clean with a great view of the pool area and the ocean. The hotel staff were pleasant and accommodating.
Our only complaint was there was mold in the shower and under the lip of the sink. This would be an easy fix by housekeeping if they knew.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
The Villages, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Dawn Beach Club has gotten better since our first visit there 3 years ago. At the time, there were no two units alike. Yes, they had 3 bedroom, but the furniture was old and the building maintenance left a lot to be desired because the maintenance people were the same people that performed maintenance at the Westin Hotel. In 2013, things got a better with the maintenance. Had a beeping smoke alarm problem and the maintenance person was there 10 minutes after I called. He stayed around after fixing the problem, just to make sure that it was fixed.

The Check in still leaves a lot to be desired. Checking in at the hotel main desk is always trying on the nerves. I was going to let our adult children have our 2nd week and although I checked out and went to the airport to pick up our children, it was after 5:30pm when we got back to the hotel. The room we had checked out from 5 hours ago still was not ready and I knew the bellman so he took our bags up to the room. The maids were just leaving the room and of course the floors were still wet. I told them not to worry about it and got into the room. Overall, the week we stayed, the maid service had improved a lot and the maids did a good job.

I want you to know that everybody in the hotel and sales office know who I am because I have been a thorn in their sides for 3 years trying to get the Dawn Beach Club up to the Gold interval standard.
The place has a lot to offer and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: B Building has the best view. All room face the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Daniel B, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Jim L,

Thank you for staying with us at the Dawn Beach Club and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about the property. Our goal is to exceed the owners and guests expectations from the moment that they walk through our doors. I am glad that you see some of the improvements that have been made throughout the property. On your next visit you will see our new lobby, workout room and check-in area for all Dawn Beach Club guests. It is located in building C away from the main hotel lobby.

Thank you again for your review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to St. Maarten and the Dawn Beach Club.

White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was a little bit disappointed with Westin Hotel St. Maarten. I have booked 9 days vacation in ocean front room ( ocean front room means room facing the ocean right?) not according to Westin Hotel.
When i checked in and got my room key it came out that my ocean front room is a pool side room with no / or partial ocean view. I was furious. I paid so much money for ocean front and the hotel gave me pool side saying that this is our ocean front. Hmmmm.
After a controntation with a front desk people. One guy said that they have ocean front avavilable next day. I agreed for one night at pool side room. Next day I got nice ocean front room

Overall, I thought the Westing Hotel is a luxury hotel. They dont even have a fridge in the room and no umberllas at the pool or on the beach. if you want shade you have to rent it for $ 55 a day.

Room Tip: When you choose ocean fron room, make sure with the front desk that your room is facing ocean. Acco...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna P,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I sincerely apologize that you were not happy with the original location of your guestroom. We do offer ocean front rooms that overlook our beautiful infinity pool and Dawn Beach. We also have ocean front rooms that look out to our lawn area and the ocean as well. I am happy that the front desk was able to move you to a different location as soon as the room was available.

Each guestroom features a fully stocked refreshment centers with beverages and snacks. Our rooms do not offer separate refrigerators or cooking facilities.

Outside by the pool and the beach we do offer two options for rent if our guests prefer some shade. One option is a large poolside or beach side cabana that can accommodate up to four guests. The other option is a small shade tent that is available only on the beach. The tent can fit comfortably over two beach chaise lounge chairs.

Thank you again for your review and I apologize that we failed to deliver the true "Westin" experience to you on this visit.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The setting and the quality of accommodation is amazing. Right on Sunset Beach. Great pools. Hot tub only worked off and on. The staff is generally good. I DO NOT recommend the restaurants here. They are overpriced and often not good. Go over to the restaurants just outside of Oyster Bay Beach Resort instead (or even the ones inside). It is less than 5 minutes away and much better.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roger M,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. I am glad that you enjoyed the resort's ambiance and the quality of the guestrooms. I apologize that the hot tub was acting up during your time with us. Currently, it is working perfectly.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and other travelers. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back on your next visit to St. Maarten.

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I can't believe we fell for this soooooooooooo obvious tourist trap.
Friendly looking couple approached us at Orient Bay beach and had us scratch some coupon. Lucky us, we got the 7-7-7 combination!!!! Wow! That never happens!!! Whooohoo!
This entitled us to one of a) 1000$ b) 5-night stay at the Westin Dawn Beach Club and I can't remember c)
All we had to do is take a visit of the Westin hotel grounds on the other side of the island.
What the heck, why not? It's Westin right? The friendly looking hagglers really used the Westin name profusely in their conversation with us. It would be a quick walk through the hotel and drinks would be served! Westin Westin Westin.
Well, Westin owes me 2.5 hours of my life back.
The whole thing is a giant timeshare (high-end fractional ownership, looool) scam and I'm ashamed to say we fell for it. Our super prize for enduring this crap? A 5-day stay at the Dawn Beach Club (no mention of Westin all of the sudden) in a "standard" room. With the amount of bull we were fed in those 2 hours, I can't fathom what a standard room entails.
Anyways, we walked out of there with our tails between our legs. Even the Westin valet in the Westin lobby had a good laugh at our expense.
But it doesn't stop there! There are a number of these friendly-looking couples patrolling the island and approaching dumb tourists like us.
Shame on us for being naive, shame on them for peddling this misrepresentation and shame on Westin for letting their name be associated to a timeshare scam

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chickittichuck,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa and the Dawn Beach Club. While the Dawn Beach Club is separate from the Westin Resort its owners and guests are able to take advantage of wonderful amenities that the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa has to offer.

I apologize if you felt that you were mislead in anyway. We welcome guests everyday that are previewing and touring the Dawn Beach Club and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa.

I hope that you had an enjoyable visit to St. Maarten and will visit the island again in the future.

Daniel Beddor

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!