I've stayed at other places on St. Maarten that I have enjoyed better. There is nothing wrong with this hotel . . . room is nice, oceanfront room that I booked was oceanfront, beautiful pool, free breakfast included with our package was very good. Overall, you can't complain about a vacation in St. Maarten, but I strongly suggest that you look into all of your options. I stayed here because the price was right for Thanksgiving week, and the photos of the pool lead me to believe I couldn't go wrong. I likely will not stay again, though.
1) I was traveling with family and asked at the time of reservation, and called a week before my trip to confirm that our rooms were next to each other. Both times I was told that it would be no problem. At check-in . . . rooms weren't together, nor could they accommodate us. The manager made up for it with 2 extra breakfast coupons per day of our stay. This more than made up for the negative check-in experience.
2) I usually book my excursions/day trips before my trip on my own. This time, I decided to use the hotel concierge at the activity desk. BIG MISTAKE. I had a receipt that my trip was booked, but on the last day of our trip when the driver came to pick us up, we weren't on his list. They still let us board and sit on the bus ride for the 90 minute ride, only to let us find out when we got to the snorkeling company that our names weren't on the list. The Westin booked us on the wrong day with the company, but my receipt and the day I arrived was correct. Thankfully, I had my receipt and the snorkeling company accommodated us, after some argument and telling us that the Westin assumed we would be ok with going on another trip. I complained to the manager and he took notes, but no follow-up. As I checked out the next day, the manager of the activity desk chased me down to apologize profusely, hoping that the trip more than made up for the oversight. Yes, it did. But it still doesn't excuse their total incompetence.
3) The beach at this resort isn't the best. Very rough water and not the best for swimming. On the last day of our visit the water was calmer, but there was a strong undercurrent that was dangerous for competent swimmers.
4) The room phones don't work, and wifi in the rooms is $20/day, so we couldn't connect via phone with the family we were traveling with since the hotel could not accommodate us near each other. How do the phones in a hotel not work?
5) The timeshare people can be pushy. I just told them that I had already been on the tour and bought 2 units. They smiled because they thought I bought and I smiled because it was funny that they believed me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most beautiful Caribbean beaches, The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten offers guests a true getaway. Scuba dive, take a ferry to Anguilla for the day, or just relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Travelocity, Starwood, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort And Spa, St. Maarten
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- Westin St Maarten Martin
- St Maarten Martin Westin
- Westin St Martin
- Westin St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Westin
- Westin St Maarten Dawn Beach Resort & Spa
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean