My fiance and I stayed at the Westin and overall felt that the value was just not there. The Westin is located in the Oyster Bay/Dawn Beach area. A rental car is a must. The outside grounds are very well maintained. The beach is beautiful but the water was so choppy and the waves so thunderous, I didn't see a single person in the water the entire time. The Oyster Bay beach is much calmer and there were many people in the water. Oyster Bay is on the the same side, but I wouldn't recommend trying to walk as you will need to walk over some fairly large boulders. First off, no sooner do you drive into the lot do you have people approaching your car asking if you will sit for a time share presentation. My fiance and I did attend a presentation, but my advice is to arrive at 2pm which will guarantee that you will not be there all day since they shut down at 4pm. If you arrive in the morning, expect to be there for at least 3 hours. The timeshare unit that they showed us was beautiful, but the smell of mold was obvious, and the rep said it's from guests who keep the windows open and the dampness from the sea creeps in. Not likely with all of the mosquitos in this area.
I did not find the hotel staff to be friendly, and the restaurant staff were especially unattentive. There are stray dogs and cats so beware when you are entering the garage at night.
One last thing, I noticed that the staff by the beach were approaching certain guests to ask them if they were staying at the hotel. We finally realized why. All of the beaches in St. Maarten are public beaches, so hotels and resorts cannot restrict people from accessing the beach. However, the Westin does not rent beach chairs, so the staff on the beach are there to ensure that only Westin guests use the beach chairs. Oddly enough, we saw the beach staff approaching only individuals of a certain ethnicity (if you know what I mean) when they arrived, and my fiance and I were among them. When I realized that this was happening only to certain guests, I told them that they should complain. This review is me taking my own advice. I will not stay at this hotel again. It is run down, poorly managed, and overpriced. We changed to the Radisson Blu which far fairly the same price was exquisite and absolutely breathtaking.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten Hotel
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort And Spa, St. Maarten
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- Westin St Maarten Martin
- Westin St Maarten
- St Maarten Martin Westin
- Westin St Martin
- Westin St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Westin
- Westin St Maarten Dawn Beach Resort & Spa
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most beautiful Caribbean beaches, The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten offers guests a true getaway. Scuba dive, take a ferry to Anguilla for the day, or just relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Starwood, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel, Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.