“Beautiful hotel on a beautiful island.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
marietta
“Beautiful hotel on a beautiful island.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Westin Dawn Beach hotel is a hotel, casino and spa at the far end of St. Martin. It is located on the French side/Dutch side border about 10 minutes from Orient Beach. We stayed here for two days before we were able to move into our time share near Simpson Bay.

The hotel itself is quite lovely. The room was very large, much larger than I expected. The king size bed was comfortable and every room had a balcony or porch. The bathroom was very nice with a shower large enough for two. The bathtub was small but functional.

Internet was free in the room and the cable TV actually worked which was surprising in St. Martin.

The pool was very nice and there was an outside bar. The pool was more for beauty than swimming although there were a few people swimming. The chairs by the pool had cushions on them and were very comfortable. The staff was very attentive.

The chairs on the beach were old and several had rips in them and should be replaced. Also, the beach chairs are the old style rubber ones, not the nice ones with cushions like at the pool.

There are two restaurants on site. We only ate in the more casual one. Ate there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was very good bordering on excellent. The chocolate Mousse was to die for. The staff went out of their way to help us. One waitress even searched out and found my wife a chocolate mouse on her second trip to the spa.

They have two buffets, a Sunday brunch, Sunday breakfast and a Wednesday dinner. We only ate the Sunday breakfast and it was very nice and a good value. The Sunday brunch looked to be too expensive.

My wife used the spa and loved it so much that even after we moved to the other side of the island, she drove 45 minutes back to the hotel to go to the spa again even though there were closer spas to us.

The casino is small. It has your normal casino fair. Unfortunately, the craps table was not open the two days I stayed there.

We asked for and received a late checkout without much problems.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Hungarian first
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling Christmas nye for over 30 years this was the best and easiest trip I ever had the front desk staff Raul David john Matt can't do enough to make your trip great the rest people like simon and the rest of staff great beach staff same. The MAJOR problem there is the casino I am some what of a high roller I have won lost big this casino slot machines have to be the worst payouts ever a normal casino has a return of 96-98 pct this one is at the best 90 which is horrible they take the attitude that people stay a few days they are used to Losing so wouldn't shock anyone,I av visited 9 casinos on island no one has a payout like guys great hotel great casino stay out

• Stayed December 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel is in a convenient area of town on the east side just below the French border. This makes it easy to get to the southwest - simpson bay, mahoe bay and the north east side - Orient Bay (Fun beautiful beach with much to do) and over to the northwest - Grand Case (excellent restaurants). So location is good. Rooms are nice updated and clean. The large outdoor pool on the beach is pretty and probably the properties most positively distinguishing feature. The two restaurants on property are good. I guess in general though, it is like staying at a Westin anywhere and you won't feel a lick of the culture of the island. There is a big tacky casino in the lobby and the lobby bar (only bar except for the pool bar) is just sad. You feel like you're in a low class hotel in Las Vegas. We actually cut our stay short here and found a cool place on the French side of the island up in Cul De Sac. So, if you like a big hotel that you know, here you go. If you want cool culture and class, there are many nice properties on the island at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: The property is very large and you have three types of views - beach, inner garden or a view that ov...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear William R,

Thank you for visiting us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the resort and you were able to enjoy the pool. I am sorry that you felt that our property lacked the ambiance that you were looking for in your Caribbean vacation. While we try to exceed each of our guests expectations there are times when we are not the right fit for everyone. Although, we never like to hear that a guest is not happy at our property, I am happy that you found a resort that fit your needs.

I hope that you will continue to visit the Friendly Island of St. Maarten/St. Martin.
chatham, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just finished a holiday getaway to the Westin at Dawn Beach in St. Maarten. We spent 3 nights and 4 days there and had a very nice time. Our decision to go to St. Maarten was last minute. We decided on St. Maarten because we wanted a destination where 80 degree weather was likely and there were direct flights out of the New York/New Jersey area. We opted for the Westin at Dawn Beach because it was one of the only hotels that allowed a 3 night stay and had a vacancy. Below is my feedback on the resort.

Positives:
The pool/beach area was very beautiful.

The ocean was very clean and the sand was very soft. We had no problems getting beach chairs and beach towels, even though the hotel was fully booked.

The resort is located in a cove, on the Atlantic side of the island, therefore, the surf was a little rough, but it did not deter us from going in to cool off. Our children are teenagers and there was no problem; however, if you are traveling with young children the ocean may be too rough.

The breakfast buffet was good at the main restaurant. The lunch was good at the pool restaurant. The a la carte dinner was good at the main restaurant; however, the dinner buffet wasn't all that great. We did go to dinner outside of the hotel for 2 of our 3 nights, which I would recommend to add a little variety.

Overall, the staff were extremely friendly and eager to please, especially the front desk employees and the wait staff at the pool restaurant. We called the front desk one evening asking for extra bath towels and they were delivered immediately. The front desk staff called us at the beginning and at the end of our stay to see how we were doing. Staff that we ran into in the hotel hallways went out of their way to greet us and to ensure that our needs were met. One day, it appeared that were were having difficulty getting into our room and one of the hotel engineers offered some unsolicited assistance. We asked for a late checkout (1:30 pm instead of the 12:00 noon policy) and were accommodated with no problem. This friendliness and service was nice to see.

The housekeepers and wait staff in the main restaurant were average, but nothing to complain about. The concierge, Joseph, was really nice and was able to get us a last minute reservation at Canoa in the Oyster Bay Marina one evening; however the restaurants do fill up, especially during the 7 - 8 pm hours, so I would strongly recommend making dinner reservations as much in advance as possible. Otherwise, you will likely have to take a 6 pm or 9 pm reservation. The concierges can only do so much when a restaurant is booked. Overall, I was pleased with the service.

The beds were very comfy.

Cabs were always easily available in front of the hotel to get us places.

Negatives:

The front of the hotel property was rather institutional and "unresort-like", which made for a terrible first impression upon arriving. There was a big casino taking up 2/3 of the lobby space. Not sure what the architect was thinking! It was a dramatic contrast to the beautiful design of the rear of the property.

Our room was a little dismal (lighting was not great), the carpet had a couple of very big stains, there wasn't a whole lot of drawer space or hangers. Our room had a "resort view" on the first floor of the Starwood Preferred guests wing of the property. However, the view was not very appealing. We looked onto an "unlandscaped" piece of grass with a big red fire hydrant. I'm not sure what other rooms looked like but if you are getting a "resort view" instead of the "ocean view", you may want to ask more questions about where the room is located and what it overlooks. The one good thing about our room location is that it was very close to the main restaurant and the pool, which we loved.

The location of the hotel relative to the other places on St. Maarten is relatively secluded. There is an Oyster Bay Marina within a 5 minute cab ride, which is a great spot close by. We went to dinner in this area 2 of our 3 nights. We ate at Canoa and Daniels, which were very good restaurants. A bit pricey but we really enjoyed our meals and were happy with the service. We needed to take a cab to this spot which was $3/person each way. Most other destinations were a longer cab ride away. It was fine for us because we were only there 3 nights, but if a family was staying there longer, the cab fares would definitely add up. Since our stay was short, we opted out of renting a car, but when I did check on the car rental the day after we arrived, they advised me that they had no cars left to rent until next week. I would recommend reserving a car prior to arriving to be sure there is one available.

That sums up our impression of the Westin at Dawn Beach. We would definitely return to St. Maarten and if we stayed at the Westin at Dawn Beach, we would rent a car and upgrade to an Ocean View room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Split, Croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Experience with this hotel was something horrible... The staff of this 5 star hotel was very rude and not interested in their job expectaly front desk manager and staff on front desk.
When we arrived hotel looked too big for this area not in Caribe style, the beach was empty and ruined by this mega hotel. There where many broken sun beds all over the beach.
This hotel is in the middle of nowhere...
But all this can be much better experince if staff was not so rude!
After this hotel we went to Radisson and it was great experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear FileST,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for the experience that you described. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the areas you mentioned directly with you. This will help me to locate the areas that we failed and the opportunity to have them rectified.

Any additional feedback that you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel Beddor
dorsxm@columbiasussex.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We decided to stay here as a last minute getaway based on everyones review and were not disappointed in the least! Clean- up to date- good service- friendly staff- and very helpful concierge. The ocean is right there with an amazing Infiniti pool- with a swim-up bar. I even used the fitness center on this vaca and it met my needs. The resort is right on the French-Dutch border so you are midpoint to everything. Casino was okay- not very lively- but we won- so who cares? Star wood-Westin brand has held up it's name again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Dawn Beach and had a wonderful stay. with my wife and three kids. For relaxation this was a great place to go to. It is not a massive resort so you really get to know the super friendly staff. From the very first contact you have with the doormen and bellhops to the reception staff, waiters, shop staff, pool staff, they are all super friendly. Any problem you might have is addressed immediately(and we did not have very many at all--leaky sink fixed in an hour) and with a very helpful attitude. These folks are either the nicest people at any resort or they have been trained perfectly. It is probably both.

We had one windy/cloudy day but that was followed by beautiful, sunny days in the mid 80's. Since it was the end of December this was perfect temperature for a swimming and sunning vacation. The beach is wonderful and relatively uncrowded compared to other resorts. On a windy day the waves are too choppy to swim so you can just take a 15 minute trip to Pinel Island where it is much calmer. On a calm day Dawn Beach is the place to be. If you don't like wading in over shells bring some water shoes. The pool is chilly but that's how it is in the Caribbean if you are from Florida and used to heated pools. It is a beautiful infinity pool and huge.

The resort was smoke free which was fine with us and our kids. The rooms were really spacious and the carpet and paint seemed to have been recently replaced. The resort is not in the middle of anything although there are some really nice restaurants five minutes away by taxi. The hotel breakfast buffet is world class. Great omelets and super friendly staff. Lunch is either at the same restaurant as breakfast or at poolside. Plenty of choices for kids and the Jamaican Steak Panini was superb. Superb virgin daiquiris kept the whole family happy and cool poolside. Dinner at the hotel was also excellent. Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel was truly excellent. Relatively fast connection speeds and availability in so many spots kept in touch as much as we wanted to be. The staff in the store in the hotel was like family by the time we left.

I have been going to the Caribbean for over 40 years and this was my first time at the Westin Dawn Beach. It reminded me of how the Caribbean was a long time ago, classy resort with superb staff. You feel like you are the only guest there when you talk to the staff.

Taxi's are always available and shopping and even an island adventure to Pinel Island are only minutes away. The General Manager Dan Beddor runs a tight ship and frankly I had no complaints(this is rare for me, I usually find something to be upset about). Anything you need you simply ask for and it happens quickly. We had an amazing room with a beautiful view of the ocean and pool. Concierge recommended some great restaurants and perhaps the finest Italian restaurant in the Caribbean, II Nettuno in Grand Case(worth the cab ride from the hotel, truly excellent food). L'Oasis super and only 5 minutes from hotel as was Daniel's by the Beach(great pizza and superb high end food as well). We had a Christmas Eve buffet dinner with some of the best turkey I have ever had served by a master chef with mashed potatoes on par with my mother in law's Thanksgiving dinner.

I've seen some negative comments out there but they all seem to have been addressed by the resort. Our rooms were fresh and super clean. None of the usual Caribbean mildew. Christian the beverage chief was always around the pool area making sure his folks were doing their jobs well. We are very picky vacationers and this hotel had just what we wanted. Caribbean atmosphere mixed with plenty of kid friendly food and activities. Kids felt truly at home very quickly and it was an easy hotel to navigate.

Mylene and Virlene our great waitresses at poolside really took care of us. I don't understand a review saying the staff was not as friendly as other places. These folks were beyond friendly, my kids had me saying goodbye to their friends(the waitresses). The ladies in the store knew us by day two and were super helpful.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but the pool and beach are so much fun you really don't spend much time in th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!