“Unique Beach Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located at the end of Maho Bay and also very close to the airport where airplanes fly right above the beach.
Williamstown NJ
47 attraction reviews
“Unique Beach Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited St Martin during our Caribbean cruise on 11/10/12. We rented a car for a day to visit the island on our own. We visited Mullet, Maho and Orient Beaches that day for a couple hours each. I will give a seperate review for each.

The beach was small/narrow and very close to the road. The waves were rough knocking lots of people over. You could not snorkel there.The drop off was steep and sand had lots of rocks/coral and shells on the bottom. Water shoes would be recommended

Maho Beach was a very unique experince to see airplanes flying that low to land at airport which is across road from the beach. After reading about the planes we wanted to experience this ourselves. I'm not sure if there is any other place like this. We had one jet take off while we were there which created lots of turbelence on the beach which was neat. Plans take off away from beach.

When the planes were coming in to land ,the local taxi and van drivers knew the flight schedule and lined the street to show the tourists.

There was a bar(not sure of name) there that was hopping while we were there, but we didn't go in.
Parking was not problem on the road across from the bar. There was a line to get in. Taxi's were always dropping people off while we were there

We would recommend to go to Maho beach to see the planes, but skip swimming there. There are better swimming beaches on St Martin.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
chicago
77 attraction reviews
“FUN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great place to watch the planes come an go. The beach itself is just ok. People come here to watch the planes... caution.. don't sit in the middle... you will get blasted as a plane takes off. The sunset bar is the main hang out... with good food. They even have a set up so you can hear the cockpit conversations with the tower. Great fun.

New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“I had a great time... the kids - another story.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had a GREAT time at Maho beach. Definitely something I needed to cross off my "bucket-list". We rented a big Ford Maxivan to cart the 13 of us in our group from horseback riding to Maho Beach. We had just missed the landing of an Air France 747 by about 5 minutes... We were parking the car at the casino next to the beach as it came down.

The beach itself is small, with a sharp drop at the water line, so it's good to be aware of the water. The highlight is the airplanes. The kids had a ton of fun playing in the water along the small beach. When a DC-9 took off, they thought it was hysterical as people who braved the jetwash got blown towards the water.

Everything was good until one DC-9's pilot gave the beach a big thumbs up and I saw it's engines facing the area where we were sitting. I moved out of the way before he started the engines. So after the kids got blown into the water and sand was embedded in every crevice of their bodies, they wanted to go back to the cruise ship.

Still it was a great time! It was a big topic of conversation throughout the cruise.

The bars on either side of the beach were crowded and it is a spectacle to see the airplanes landing and taking off. I felt it was too crowded to wait at the bars for a drink, but it's not a beach where we expected to spend a lot of the day at.

Vancouver, BC
6 attraction reviews
“I keep coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Maho Sunset Beach and Grill are the reason I keep coming to the Caribbean over and over. I have visited here 3 times and will definately come back again. The beach is not crowded and watching the planes land is AMAZING!! Yes, I was stupid enough to get "blown" into the water when a large aircraft took off the last time I was there. All I can say about that is I'm glad I have that memory, but "Ouch!!!" (there are videos online if you're curious).

The food and drinks were great and there was a live band the last time we were there which made the atmosphere even better. The beach is VERY calm and gets deep fast, so it is great for just floating about and relaxing. It is a topless encouraged beach and bar, so it may not be the best place if you have children, but my group was 21+, so it was fine with us.

LOVE this place and can't wait to come back!

Visited May 2012
Palo Alto
19 attraction reviews
“Don't get caught in the tail wind.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Maho Bay Beach is small compared to some of the other beaches on St. Maarten/St. Martin, but this is the place to watch the airplanes come in. Standing on the beach you swear you can touch the wheels! The bigger planes, like 747 come in on either Saturday or Sunday. It is truly an amazing sight. Parking is along the road, but watch for signs.