“Clothing optional” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Beaches
Activities: Sunbathing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: If you're looking for a beach that's quiet but not totally secluded, Cupecoy is a good choice. Its white sands are backed by low sandstone cliffs that have been eroded in such a way that they provide a run of small semiprivate coves.
8 attraction reviews
“Clothing optional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Yes you could encounter nude people there but the beach is truly amazing. If you get there definitely stay there to watch the sunset. I would go back to SMX just to do this.

Detroit, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
“Great Beach, Had to jump in on the way to the airport!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

After spending most of our time on Orient beach we heard Cupecoy had cliffs and small caves. We went looking for it on the way to the airport on our last day, Feb 27. A little hard to find with the dirt road off the main road. But well worth it. The cliffs and view were magnificent! If we had found this beach eariler in our stay we would have spent all our time there. An old stairway leads to the beach and water. A little way into the water are very large slabs of rock that you can stnad on when the waves come in. While we were waiting for our BBQ lunch to be prepared I told my wife I had to go in one last time or I would always regret it. (The beach is unoffically clothing optional with about 15 poeple there that day.) Off came everything and in I went. Ended up flying home with a little sand in my shoes, but it was GREAT!

Visited February 2012
Richmond, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Clothing optional, some risks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We enjoyed the cute, clothing-optional beach – for the most part. We both were injured nearly as soon as we arrived on the beach. I removed my sandals and promptly stepped on a coral-like rock at the sand’s edge. My wife’s foot and leg were scraped on a rock in the water. Not crowded at all, we laid somewhat east of the rocks you descend to the beach and behind a rock cropping. We noted on each visit local men stopping briefly, peering from the rocks above. They seem to be checking for memorable views of those on the beach below. On one visit, one middle-aged local, believing he was far enough back to be out of view to those of use below, took matters into his own hand, a black and disturbing scene which quickly changed when we sat up to adjust our towels. Sad that some of us are so out of control, an issue we never confronted at Orient Beach.

Visited June 2011
Toronto
“My fav place...............Cupecoy beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Went to St martins with my daughter for the march break. Even though the first two days were rainy and cool, the last five days more than made up for it. The views are breath takeing and there's so much to explore. I would recomend the rhino rider, the one that takes you to crawl rock, as well go to Anguila on th lambada. You'll get to see prickly pear as well. It's an 8 hour duration you'll never forget.

Stayed at the sapphire beach club. Was a little concerned reading the reviews before I got there. I found it to be very clean as well comfortable and the staff were were very helpful. The food at the poool resturant (Blue Sapphire) was excellent. Ya the service was a little slow, but hey your on vacation who cares.

I loved the cupecoy beach and will be posting pics soon. Could stand on that beach and just admire the views all day. Great for swimming as well. Not the largest beach in the world, but certenly big enough.

Calgary, Canada
23 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Cupecoy is one of my favorite beaches on Sint Maarten. It is a series of smaller beaches, surrounded by cliffs. If you park in the grassy area just to the west of the final set of apartments, you can easily walk down to the beach. There is one kind of "main" larger beach and then smaller ones which are a bit more private. However, these beaches also depend on what the tide is doing, if there is a lot of water moving, these smaller beaches can virtually disappear now and then. But, they always show up again. This beach is clothing optional, so don't be surprised if you see nude people. It is also known as the "gay" beach. But, both gay and straight people go to it.

Normally this beach is fairly unpopulated, but during busy season it can get a bit crowded. At the far end there is Cliffhangers Bar, which is a small bar jutting right out over the ocean. It is a fun place to hang out.

Once you park, you can walk along the top of the cliffs and scope out each strand of beach and see which one you'd like to sit on. There are stairs carved into the cliffs on a couple of the beaches, others you walk right down to and the odd one you need to do some very light climbing. There are no umbrellas here, so bring your own. Snorkelling can be very good here as there are lots of rocks for the fishes to hide out in. Sometimes the water is a bit rough, but definetely swimmable. Just use common sense.