“Scared and seasick” 2 of 5 stars

Montreal, Canada
28 attraction reviews
“Scared and seasick”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Thrill seekers will love this ferry boat from St.Martin to St. Barth's. This 45 minute ride includes free plastic bags for the possible vomitiing and a bottle of water. My bottle fell onto the floor and rolled around while I used both hands to hold on to the seat and railing. Someone had told me to sit on top and look at the horizon and I would be okay. I sat, I looked and I prayed. The boat hits the waves head on and we go up and down and around. The bench on the other side was left free because the spray from the waves came over the boat on that side. It was a scary ride. I managed to keep my breakfast down but when we arrived, I could barely stand. I was so shaky. I went to the nearest restaurant and had tea and dry toast and gave thanks for my safe arrival. I thought of flying back but I was assured that the trip back is easier. It was, although one passenger was sick and that poisoned the air for the rest of us. This is not for the faint of heart.

New Carlisle, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Worst ferry ride ever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was by far the worst ferry ride I have ever been on. I felt like we were going to tip over the entire 40 minutes. I took dramamine and still felt like i was going to get sick. There was a section on the ferry that we were told not to sit in because we could get wet. Unfortunately wherever you sat you got wet! St Barts is so beautiful it is worth the trip. Next time I will spend the extra $$ to take the 15 minute flight!

San Diego, California
38 attraction reviews
“The ferry is fine but it is not a smooth ride”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The ferry ride takes about 45 minutes... if you get at all seasick then get ready for an unpleasant ride. The ferry itself was pretty nice. It had an air conditioned inner cabin that seats a ton of people. I would not recommend sitting in the open part in the back of the ship... unless you want to get soaked. We sat in the top open part on the ride back and that was fine. There was only a little spray. St Barths is definitely worth the trip if you havent been before. It is soooo different from St. Martin. It feels like Europe in miniature

Caribbean
4 attraction reviews
“Great Bay Express: Yes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Good service, punctuality, friendly staff, I would definitely recommend this form of transportation from St Maarten to St Barth

Visited December 2012
Neptune, New Jersey
21 attraction reviews
“Good Experience with Great Bay Express”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had a good experience sailing with Great Bay Express to St. Barths. We had the hotel we stayed at (L'Hoste) call the day before, so we had a reservation set. When we arrived at the Marina, it was a quick process to pay the balance and get the boarding passes. Everything was handled well by the staff.
Perhaps it was just the day we sailed over in March, but we had no issues with a rough passage or seasickness. It didn't seem like anybody else on board did either. We made it to Gustavia in about 45 minutes.
I would definitely use this business again for a day trip from St. Martin.

Visited March 2012