“Great Intimate Hotel/Condominium” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Princess Heights Hotel

Save Saved
You added Princess Heights Hotel to your Saves list
Princess Heights Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oyster Pond Road #156 | Dawn Beach, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Rental Car Deals!
Houston, Texas
“Great Intimate Hotel/Condominium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We wanted something private and with plenty of room. Having a full sized kitched stocked with dishes, pots and pans was definitely a plus as we like to stay in and cook a few meals for ourselves (we stayed in a 2 room condo with full size kitchen). The room was very nice and spacious as shown in the pictures. We stayed in the "new" tower. I read a review that recommended the new tower, so I was sure to request a room in here. The cleaning service did an amazing job and our room always smelled fresh when we returned.

If you like a resort style hotel, this is not for you. There is not room service or restaurants onsite. We preferred to explore the island and try local restaurantes, so these amenitites were not important for us. They do have a pool, but it is not one of your fancy resort pools (who needs a pool with such amazing beaches anyways?). The hotel is not located right on the beach, but is located across from the Westin which is. This hotel is up higher on the hill, allowing for prime views of the ocean. We took a short walk down to the Westin's beach, but again, seeking out the beaches the locals prefer is what I'd recommend.

Room Tip: "New" tower or 2nd building. All rooms seem to face the ocean view. 1st or 3rd floors have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficePH, Manager at Princess Heights Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear guest: We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about Princess Heights! We are also glad that you could enjoy your Deluxe 2 Bedroom and made good use of the full kitchen, while also experiencing the island and visiting the restaurants nearby.

As always, we will let our housekeeping staff know about your good comments.

We feel proud that we could provide you a quality service to make your stay a memorable one and we do hope to have you back in the near future!

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Nashvillle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Like others, I was a bit skeptical to book Princess Heights as it just seemed that everyone's reviews were overglowing! I've always believed in TripAdvisor so we went with it.
AMAZING! Just amazing from booking to the time we left their staff made us feel important and welcomed. Miriam . welcomed us to the hotel and then rode with us to our room in the new part of the hotel, high overlooking the cliffs (new part has elevator). We noticed that our ice maker wasn't functioning up to speed and so they moved to a room with an even better view of St Barth's!
After we grabbed a couple of complimentary beers from our stocked mini refrigerator, we stopped at the freshwater pool for a quick dip and then walked over to the beach at the Westin. They share the beach with the hotel and we also had a very good drink at their bar.
Our bedding and mattress were just amazingly comfortable and plush. Sleep came easy that evening after a long day of traveling. .
The kitchenette was just perfect and we cut up fruit for romantic little breakfast on our scenic patio.
Our biggest regret is that we only planned to stay in the Oyster Pond area for one evening. Next year we may be back here for the entire trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. LaGrange, Thank you for your kind comments! We feel honored that you trusted us as your hotel in St. Maarten and proud that you confirmed we were the right choice for you.
Our front desk agent Miriam appreciates your comments. It is very motivating for our staff to receive such positive comments on their performance.

It was only one night, but it seems that you definitely had what we call a Princess Heights experience…

It would be great to have you back for a longer stay. As a repeat guest, you will be entitled to some extra perks! Once again, thank you very much for your comments. It was a pleasure to service you.

Seaford, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I read all the reviews on here and was astonished to find little to no complaints about a hotel. I was just the slightest bit skeptical of what might be a little euphoria from a recent tropical vacation influencing an actual opinion of a hotel. Let me tell you this is NOT the case. This place puts on a show and doesn't overcharge you for it. From the moment you arrive they are as accommodating as can be. Our flight was a bit early so we knew we'd be a bit early for check in. When we arrived there was smiling staff there to greet us and answer the silly questions we had while checking in. Since we were there so early our room was not ready but the staff quickly banded together and went and got it ready in 10 minutes. You might think "10 minutes? what could they do in 10 minutes" Rest assured when we went up to our room it was immaculate, exactly like the pictures on the website with a view as well. The walk up was a bit of an experience considering the temperature and the stairs but the staff had already taken our bags up for us so we were unencumbered by heavy bags. We entered our room and saw the kitchen and smiled, again exactly like the pictures. We were cutting our vacation budget close by traveling to St. Maarten but this kitchen was our savior. We cooked breakfast every morning and were able to just have small lunches or sometimes skip lunch all together. We even cooked dinner one night and enjoyed it from our balcony. We noticed the first night that the roads were dark and hilly and that from the cab ride there wasn't a lot of things around to do in Dawn beach. We walked the first night from Princess Heights to Mr. Busby's beach bar just "down the hill" (that would make the hotel UP the hill when you are a little buzzed) so the rental car question came about. The next morning we went down and the staff jumped on the phone for us and our rental car was there by 9 AM and we were driving all around the island like pro's in no time. Any time we needed directions or advice on what to do the staff was more than willing to offer suggestions or answers. They were always in a good mood and really seemed like they enjoyed being there and doing what they do. We had an issue with the rental car company towards the end because we were going to return the car the day before we left and the rental car company never returned to the hotel to get it. The hotel had a guests first attitude and were advocates of us keeping it and using it as they kept attempting to get in touch with the rental car company. We returned the car the final day and the Front desk had a taxi waiting for us at the front desk as per our request RIGHT on time. From start to finish the staff went ABOVE and BEYOND what was expected and they were especially a welcome refreshing change from the normalcy of disgruntled employees you might find at a US hotel chain. This hotel could charge DOUBLE what they do now (although I hope they don't cause then I REALLY can't afford it) LOVE IT. I hope I can get back there sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: New building has elevator as well as a parking lot outside the 3rd floor for your convenience.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficePH, Manager at Princess Heights Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear valued guest, we do hope to have you again with us very soon as well! Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with us and other travelers. We work very hard to provide guests with the highest quality accommodations and the best personalized service, that is why such appreciation to the service and value of the hotel in your review is very motivating.

Our front desk, staff is also very happy to hear they made a good work during your stay.

We hope you can visit us again in the future and enjoy again the island and the relaxing breakfast and dinners at the ocean view balcony of your unit.

St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I returned from our third trip to Sint Maarten, and for the third time we stayed at the Princess Heights. I know that staying at other hotels would provide somewhat of a benchmark for comparison, but we were very pleased on our first visit and found no reason to stay elsewhere.

The rooms are clean, and the building is well maintained. As far as we are concerned, the location is great! If you want the busy night life and the bar scene all within walking distance, on-site shopping, beach bars, and all the other frills that come with resorts, then I would recommend somewhere else. The PH is what it claims to be - a small boutique condo in a quiet location with great views, and that is exactly what my wife and I love about the place. With a rental car we have no issues with driving to the noise and crowds.

When I originally booked our reservation there was no specials, so I reserved the hotel, airline, and car rental separately. I checked back as our tripped neared and they had the $125/night + car rental. I called and the staff changed my reservation to take advantage of the savings with no problem at all. The car rental, though, was with Prestige, and I read bad reviews about them. Also, not included in the rental were mandatory insurance charges (my credit card includes insurance so that was a waste), airport and service charges, and taxes. That totaled almost $115. My original rental with Budget was $135. So for an extra $20 I kept my Budget rental the extra peace of mind of a well known company (and airline mileage points). The other times I stayed at PH with included rental they used Avis. Hopefully, they will return to using internationally known companies allowing us to avoid the unnecessary insurance charges.

Overall, we love the hotel and will stay again for our next trip back. Two recommendations would be stronger water pressure in the shower and a small desk area for the Studio rooms.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor to avoid the stairs or elevators to the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, such a good review from a 3rd time repeat guest is an acknowledgement to us that we’ve remained consistent in terms of service, quality and more over the years, and with the commitment of making for upcoming stays even better. We thank you for your loyalty and for keeping trusting us as your preferred hotel in St. Maarten.

We thank tou also for your feedback on the unit you stayed in. This helps us improve our service as well.

We hope to have you again for the 4th time. Remember that as a repeat loyal guest, we will be very happy to honor any special request you might have for the future.

Thank you very much once again. See you soon!

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Upon searching for our annual vacation, my prerequisites were: a good deal, a nice beach, a place to workout, & a clean hotel with access to a kitchen (we’re vegetarians- it makes eating out a little tricky at times). Princess Heights met almost all of our needs. You will not find a better price for the accommodations that Princess Heights offers on a tropical island! We stayed in a studio suite. It was fully equipped with a lovely, soft, comfortable king-sized bed (which was decorated beautifully with flowers and greenery upon our arrival!), soft, absorbent, clean towels, a beautiful, large (seriously, it was bigger than one of the bedrooms in my house), clean bathroom equipped with a jet soaking tub and double sinks. The kitchenette was well equipped with pots, pans, dishes, and utencils. If I might make just one small complaint, I would say that I was disappointed that there were no sharp knives. I ate an apple every day (I like to cut them up) and had to slice it with a butter knife. Ow. When you arrive, you will find some beers and cans of soda in the fridge- a very nice touch after making the harrowing trip to the hotel from the airport. (more on that below!) There is a beautiful veranda with a table & chairs (this is where you have to eat your meals- no inside seating really in a studio room) and the view is just gorgeous. Oh, and did I mention how CLEAN everything was? Honestly, I have to say that this was one of the very nicest hotel rooms I’ve had the privilege to stay in. It was IMMACULATELY clean. Even the tiles in the bathroom lining the shower- CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. I usually get heebie jeebies in hotel rooms. Not here. Oh, also- the Wifi worked just fine for us, we had no issues with it and were even able to stream Netflix movies on our iPad.
So yes, by now you will have read several reviews telling you about the stairs. There are a lot of stairs, it’s completely true. So long as you’re mentally prepared for them, it’s really no big deal whatsoever. The only time that they really bothered us was maybe when we came back from the beach dragging our chairs and umbrella (which you have to rent from Princess Heights for $60.00 for the week if you want to have chairs & umbrella for the beaches… kind of a bummer, really they should be included with the room, perhaps with a deposit taken or something…). We were in building 2. This meant taking the elevator down to the level where you could access building 1, and then walking down about 6 or so floors to get to the pool. The pool and pool area was also incredibly clean, comfortable, and pretty deserted. We like to beach during the AM hours, go back to our room and eat lunch, and sit by the pool for the afternoon. We often had the entire pool to ourselves. There’s a diving board and a slide, and the hotel provides some floats too. Then you had to ascend 6 flights of stairs, and take a ride up the elevator to get back to your room. Meh. It definitely got your heart rate up. If you are someone who has mobility issues, or if you’re traveling with small kids- this might now be the place for you. My husband and I workout every day and we’re in shape, and those stairs were still pretty taxing on us!
Ok, so speaking of working out… the one area of Princess Heights which left me feeling very, very disappointed was the ‘gym’. I exercise every day. I would be unable to enjoy my vacation without exercise in my day! There are some weight machines in there, and an elliptical (which is so out of date in no longer has the capacity to measure your workout, let you know how long/how far you’ve gone), and a stationary bike (again, no method of measuring your trip- it has no electronic components!) that looks like something from a time warp. No treadmill. NO TREADMILL!!! I had seen other reviews which had mentioned the treadmill- and as I mentioned earlier, one of my prerequisites for choosing a hotel was “a place to workout”. I am a treadmill person- I like to run, jog, walk… No treadmill was a really bitter pill to swallow. Now I’m positive that it is not an important detail to most people, but to me, this was a really big let-down. It’s not really possible to ‘run’ anywhere around the hotel- first of all, the heat alone will kill you, but it’s just so hilly and the roads are really horrible… I thought about running up and down the stairs as my workout, (haha!) but again, the heat will kill you. I improvised. I had brought my iPad which I had loaded some workout DVD’s onto (if you want to do that too, make sure they are loaded into the iPad or your laptop- there’s no wifi in the ‘gym’ so you can’t stream in there). Also, I might note- there are no towels available for guests to use in the gym, so make sure you bring one with you if you want to mop up your sweat.
Now for my spiel on the roads. You really do need a car to be able to appreciate the island. Part of our vacation package included a rental car (Avis). We updated our own personal Garmin GPS (paid $30 bucks to do so!) and found out pretty fast that US GPS units do not work well in St. Maarten. Thankfully, we had the nicest experience at Avis. After being outfitted with our car for the week, we tipped the gentleman who helped us. We had been talking with him a bit about our Garmin, he is the person who told us that they don’t work well on the island… and then, he went inside and came back with a functioning GPS unit for us to use for the week! We were really happy. (Positive reinforcement for tipping!) The GPS worked well, but it definitely was not foolproof and it actually led us astray and not to Princess Heights. Thankfully we figured it out. But here’s the thing: St. Maarten roads are somewhat TERRIFYING. No joke. There are roundabouts instead of traffic lights and intersections- no biggie, once you get used to how they work you’re just fine. The thing that is so downright scary about the roads, is the terrible condition that they’re in. Not every road. Not everywhere. But there are some places where the road was so awful that we basically had to stop the whole car and go like, 2 miles an hour while we navigated around enormous potholes and road destruction. We took one such road to get to Princess Heights. And it was definitely a white-knuckle part of the trip- and BOY was I glad that I wasn’t driving!!! Also, we were in a 4 door hatchback sedan type car. I’d suggest upgrading to a small SUV. You will not regret it. Or hey, go nuts and rent a jeep if you want. NOTE: Do not leave ANYTHING in your rental car when you go out. Make sure you take everything with you. We were told that theft is rampant on the island.
I mentioned that we are vegetarians. We had a difficult time finding food. Everything has chicken, beef, pork, lamb, and seafood in it. We ordered Mama’s Pizza a few times- highly recommend! So delicious. They will deliver right to your room! Call down to the front desk and they’ll order it right up for you (so you don’t incur any phone charges!). We also went to the grocery stores. The first store we went to “Fresh Market” on the Dutch side, had what we needed. Be prepared to spend a great deal though. Groceries are all imported and very expensive in the Caribbean. Fresh veggies, fruit, rice, cereal, nuts, etc. The real shock came to us when we paid though… the man who bagged our groceries also brought them out to the car to pack ‘em up for us… when my husband tried to say we didn’t want him to do that, he grunted and pointed to a sign that said “Baggers are independent and are not employees of Fresh Market. They work for tips.” So we were sort of stuck. Make sure you dismiss any grocery baggers unless you feel like paying extra for it. The next grocery store we went to was on the French side. It was called “Simply” I think. Word of advice: BRING YOUR OWN BAGS. It was really awesome because all of the groceries are European at this store. Lots of cool European candies and foods! As well as fresh fruit and veggies, and a great bakery section with the amazing scent of freshly baking bread permeating the whole store. Mmmm… When you pay (we used our credit card) they will charge you in Euro’s. Also: there was no ‘bagger’ to haggle with here, but you have to pay for grocery bags. We managed to smash everything into one bag.
Beaches: I have read many reviews where people complain about Dawn Beach. Most of the complaints have to do with the Westin, having to bring your own chairs/umbrella, feeling like second class citizens… well, we went there most days and NEVER had a bad experience like that. We drove down there (it’s like, seriously scaling a mountain to walk down there and back up from there and then all the stairs…) and brought our chairs and umbrella, staked out a little space and enjoyed our time there. No funny looks from Westin guests/employees (anyone we interacted with was welcoming and nice!). I have no idea why people are so up in arms about having to bring your own chairs etc… it’s no secret that many people are disrespectful of property that is not their own, and I bet the Westin had problems with outsiders abusing their property. It’s not a dig against Princess Heights guests, and it’s the Westin’s prerogative to protect their property. Dawn Beach was amazing and gorgeous, but the water did tend to be a bit rough. There was one day with really big waves that my husband went in but I was a little afraid to. I went in every other day. Soft sand, no rocks/shells. Your beautiful exemplary Caribbean beach. We also visited Orient Beach- highly recommended, especially if you want to be able to eat and drink on the beach (there are restaurants) and participate in activities (I think they had parasailing, jet skiing, a water trampoline, volleyball, etc.). Sadly for us, we arrived and sunned ourselves for about 20 minutes and were overcome by a HUGE rainstorm that left us running for cover… It lasted about an hour or so? So we went back to our hotel and to the pool for the afternoon. We also visited Islet Pinel. Not my favorite. You have to take a ferry to get there, once you’re there you are kind of stuck until the next ferry comes (on the hour). It felt like… kind of like a lakeside community or something once we got there! You had to pay a rental fee to sit in their chairs (and you can’t bring yours with you, it’s just too inconvenient). There are two restaurants there. And a lot of kids. Screaming kids. Loud kids. Kids running amuck! The water was weirdly calm, almost no waves. You could walk out very far with the water only reaching your waist! I wouldn’t go back. We left on the first ferry. So that was some money wasted for sure. Whoops.
If you get a chance and you’re in the mood, head to Phillipsburg for a little while and walk along the main drag. We visited “The Yoda Guy” museum- which is run by Nick Maley, part of the make up and designs team of the Star Wars characters that we all know so well… Nick and his wife were both there when we visited, they are so warm and friendly- happy people- and were genuinely warm, kind, welcoming, and happy to talk about the goal of their museum- to encourage kids to go for their dreams! Very cool. There are also some high-end shops duty free. Lots of jewelry, purses, expensive items. We ate lunch at a wonderful little French style bistro and had freshly made orange banana juice which was so delicious that I’m still thinking about it!!
All in all, our St. Maarten vacation was beautiful and enjoyable. We loved our hotel room, and I’d love to give some recognition to Nina from the front desk- she was sweet, kind, helpful, just like every single employee of Princess Heights that we came in contact with. Really, their customer service philosophy is one that other hotel management could really learn from! When we had an issue with our beach umbrella rental, they exchanged it out no questions asked. They also allowed us to print out our return flight boarding passes at no cost. They could not have been more helpful. And the housekeeping staff was also excellent, friendly, and accommodating. I would absolutely stay at Princess Heights again if I return to the island, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to friends and family as well.

Room Tip: If you stay on an upper floor in building 2, you will have the most beautiful views of the ocean!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficePH, Manager at Princess Heights Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you very much for the time you to write this complete, detailed review about the hotel an the island! We are happy to tell you that we’ve recently updated our gym with a brand new elliptical machine as well as a new spinning machine, along with bluetooth speakers. We took your criticism very seriously and decided to renew our gym equipment. Thanks for the remark.

We also feel proud that Princess Heights matched perfectly what you were looking for in terms of quality, amenities and value.

Our housekeeping staff thanks you for the good comments on the cleanliness of the rooms. So does Nina and the rest of the front desk for the kind comments on their work.

If you are planning to come back in the near future, do not hesitate to contact us. We will make sure you spend a Second Royal Stay at our hotel as repeat guest!

Thank you again for the time you took to share with us and other travelers your experience at Princess Heights and in St. Maarten.

Regards,
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our stay at Princess Heights was (again - our 2nd stay there) delightful.

We stayed for a week in a studio suite in B building (up top, for those who have been there) and enjoyed the accommodations almost as much as the view. The rooms are always ultra-clean with great air conditioning and plenty of hot water for extended showers.

The facilities are very safe and secure.

Our only negative was that this particular unit had a mattress that was less firm than we would have liked. The staff promptly attempted to remedy the situation with a foam pad (which worked to a degree) and a bed board for under the mattress.

If only this property were located in Grande Case.... but then the rates wouldn't be affordable!

Our highest recommendation for this property!

Room Tip: We recommend "B" building up on the hill.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your second stay at the hotel and made good use of the amenities un your unit. As for the mattress, most of our guests are comfortable with them, however, we take your feedback very seriously and will look for extra options in cases like this one. We are happy to hear that the staff could provide you with a temporary solution.

Thank you for the recommendation to others. We do hope to see you again for a 3rd stay at Princess Heights! Remember that you will be entitled to extra perks as a repeat, loyal guest.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a studio suite for two nights before moving on to Anguilla. THe service was phenomenal from booking to check out. It really was five star service at 3 star prices. The studio exceeded my expectations. The room was oversized, the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, we had a balcony with ocean views, a jetted, sunken tub, double sinks, as well as a cooktop, microwave, and refrigerator that comes stocked with (FREE!!!) beer, soda and bottled water. We couldn't ask for more. The staff is very nice as well. I think that five star hotels could learn a thing or two from their staff. We will stay here if our travels ever bring us back to St. Maarten. No doubt about it. Yes, you need a rental car. Yes, they coodinate that and pay for the rental car. Keep in mind that guests are responsible for all taxes, insurance and gas. I think that all totaled around $50 or $60.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Princess Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!