“Great Views & Excellent Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Princess Heights Hotel

Save Saved
You added Princess Heights Hotel to your Saves list
Princess Heights Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oyster Pond Road #156 | Dawn Beach, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Rental Car Deals!
washington, dc
“Great Views & Excellent Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Princess Heights in Jan 2013 and we were completely impressed by the accommodations. Been to many locations throughout the Caribbean and the world (work and pleasure) and the room at P.H. is in the top five of any place I have ever stayed. We stayed in a one-bedroom and let me say it was excellently finished. The full kitchen was incredibly nice. Although we only took advantage of the kitchen for breakfast it was nice to have the option. The only reason we did not give 5 stars for the P.H. is a result of two facts. The pool is fairly small and the pool deck was in need of cleaning or refinishing. The other detractor is the knowledge of the front desk/concierge staff. They were not very knowledgeable but they were more than willing to find an answer, even if that meant making calls to wherever was needed (restaurants, excursion vendors, rental car agency on Anguilla, etc.). We had a GREAT time in St. Martin/Maarten and would definitely recommend and probably stay at the P.H. again.

407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

When my wife and I decided to go to Sint-Maarten on honeymoon, we had no idea where we were going to stay or even what we were going to be, we just knew that we wanted to go somewhere far away from everything, somewhere new, to discover. I had heard about St-Maarten from few people, but not enough to actually know how to find my way. So when my wife told me “you take care of planning the trip to St-Maarten…” I knew the first I had to do was to find a great hotel, a fantastic place that will keep our honeymoon alive for a very long time.

After several days of research, analysis, comparison and reviews lecture, I had finally made up my mind and decided that Princess Heights would our accommodation for our honeymoon. Looking back now, I’m convinced that choosing Princess Heights was among the best first decisions of my couple gateway.

After I finalized the booking, I wrote to the hotel to inform them that I was expecting the best of the best from them giving the fact that I was coming over for my honeymoon, and I wanted my wife to be surprised. The hotel replied and guaranteed me that they would everything to make our stay memorable…they kept their word!

First of all, when you book a room in Princess Heights, they make sure to send you all information you might need (Direction from the airport, local supermarket, activities that you might be interested to do, etc, rental cars, etc…). I was overwhelmed by the quality of information they provided. Then a couple of days before our arrival in St-Maarten, they made sure to send us a reminder with the same information by pointing that they were looking forward to welcoming us. That alone made me feel great about the trip.

Our flight being delayed from Paris CDG, we arrived in St-Maarteen (SXM) over an hour after the scheduled time, we rented a car from the airport and drove off following the direction giving by the hotel. No GPS is actually needed, the island is pretty small and it’s easy to drive around. However, traffic can be heavy at some hours of the day.

We arrived at the hotel after 6pm, and we were warmly welcome by a nice staff that told us “we’ve been waiting for you…” The check-in was completed in like 5 min, she jumped into our car and we drove off to our room in the second and newest building. The hotel has 2 different building, one old and one new. If you have the choice, request to stay in the new building, it’s nicer, but it’s also the furthest, as you kind of have to drive around to get there. That’s why you need a car when you stay there; you can’t do it with a taxi every time.

Once in our room, it was a suite actually, my wife and I went “WOW”; everything looked perfectly arranged, planned, and ready for our arrival. They had decorated the bedroom, the bed and the bathroom with flowers; they had place a complimentary bottle of wine, soda, water in the fridge for us, and the suite looked fantastic, just like advertised on the hotel website.

The room was very clean and organized. They gave us one of the best rooms in the building, with a breathtaking view of the ocean. We had plenty of space and everything that we needed. Since the hotel does not have any restaurant, they recommended that we should do some shopping on our way from the airport in case we want to make meals by ourselves. So we had bought basic stuff for breakfast and some meat and vegetable for lunch and dinner. It was like being at home; with the difference that we didn’t have to clean up every day…someone else was doing it for us.

The hotel staff was just outstanding. Whenever we needed something regarding a place to visit, or an activity to do, or just anything at all, they were always ready to assist (and we did ask a lot of questions).
The hotel not having a restaurant did not cause any problem to us; there were plenty places to eat out around, and since we had a car, it was easy to get anywhere we wanted.

Despite the fact that the hotel has some things to improve (in my opinion), like place the room tel in the bedroom instead of having it only in the living room; place a tel on the corridor in case a guest looks himself out and want to contact the front desk, instead of having to drive around, etc…
That being said, overall, we had a wonderful time, and we expressed our appreciation to the hotel staff and through the feedback when we checked-out. And there is no doubt that next time we travel to St-Maarten, Princess Heights will be our hotel accommodation, because they make you feel like home!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the second and newest building, Contact the hotel once you finalize your booking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here Jan 2013 after reading all the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor.

The hotel itself is average at best. You MUST have a car if you stay here. The location is terrible. It is at least a 20 minutes drive away from anything (and that's if there is no traffic). Be prepared to drive at least 1.5 hours a day.

The rooms are supposed to be ocean view but our room view was basically of the westin's roof. The hotel was deserted during our stay (supposedly high season) so I suspect we had one of the better rooms at this hotel.

If you want to stay somewhere out of the way, there is the Westin just a couple of minutes from this hotel which is a far better option. Staying at Princess, you can use the Westin beach but you can't use their beach chairs. The Princess allows you to rent chairs but then you have to carry it a 20 minute walk to the beach.

On the third day of our stay we wanted to drive out but there was a construction crew blocking the entire road. The hotel management told us to wait by the driveway and someone will come and show us another way to get out. After 20 minutes, no one showed up so we had to follow a local taxi out.

I suspect most of the people writing positive reviews here own condos in this resort so they obviously have an interest in having you stay here. Here's my advice, DON'T, there are far better options on the island.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficePH, Manager at Princess Heights Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
TripAdvisor applies very strict rules and regulation and doesn’t allows owners to post reviews on their own properties. We value reviews and take them very serious. The hotel is located on a hillside in a quiet neighborhood but there are plenty of activities and restaurants only a few minutes away. We always advise our guest to rent a car. Most people who stay at Princess Heights prefer tranquility and enjoy the fact that it is not crowded even when the Hotel is full. Because the Westin does not allow our guests to use their beach chairs, we decided to provide beach chairs to our guests so they can take them to any beach on the island (not just Dawn Beach). Dawn Beach is located just down the hill and can be reached by foot within 10 minutes. Because the hotel is situated a little higher up the hill you always have an expanded view of the area overlooking the ocean with a stunning view of St. Barths from any unit. This view includes that of the Westin and some other properties as they are located between Princess Heights and the beach.

It is very unfortunate that a few guests have a less pleasant stay at Princess Heights, but we try our best to give all our guests a great stay. When guest checkout and have constructive feedback, suggestions or have concerns, we use this to improve our service.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms were nice but the phone didn't work. The staff was nice and helpful. The cleaning staff was excellent.

The beach was average at best. After going down 6 flights of stairs and negotiating the main road and the westin hotel. Lots of mosquitos and no window netting. The whole family got bitten numerous occasions at the pool.

A Car is an absolute necessity.

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My fiance and I just spent ten days in st maarten in January 2013 and stayed at Princess Heights in a studio room. The room is very modern and the bathroom has a double sink with granite top and a great jacuzzi tub. The studio has a kitchenette with an electric stove top and microwave. This was our first time staying at this hotel. We usually stay at the Flamingo Resort in Simpson Bay. This hotel is in a very exclusive section of Oyster Bay/ Tamarind Hill. There are several million dollar properties with gated driveways. To drive to this hotel, there is a gate. They give you a keychain when you check in that opens the gate. Most of the time there is also a guard at the gate. There are alot of steep roads, but nothing too scary. You have to drive carefully on the correct side of the road and not speed especially when it's raining. The french side is literally at the end of the hill, so this was a nice balance between the dutch side and the french side. The princess heights is also listed as a condo property so there is no restaurant or bar. There is a very nice pool with deck chairs. To access the beach, you either have to drive down to Dawn Beach which is accessible either through the Westin Hotel or Oyster Bay Resort. I don't recommend that you walk down, the steps are very steep and it's not a stair well that is easily accessed. This is a hotel that is good for couples, but I would not bring kids. If you have kids, stay at a more traditional time share like resort that is on the beach. Getting to the beach is a chore. The Westin does not rent beach chairs so we had to sit on a towel which is embarrassing when all the beach chairs are basically empty. I don't recommend accessing the beach at the Westin because the waves are really high, and I didn't feel comfortable getting in the water. The beach at the Oyster Bay resort is much better. The water is fairly calm, and there are several restaurants on the beach that let you rent two beach chairs and an umbrella for $12. They also have drink specials where you can get a bucket of 10 coronas for $7. Not bad. They also have a nice restaurant on the resort that serves breakfast until 11am and the prices are about $10 per person...also very reasonable. Here are my only negative comments about Princess Heights...we came into our room and found our patio door unlcoked a couple times...even after we called the front desk to let them know. All of the patios at the hotel are connected so you can literally walk to your neighbors patio. This did not make us feel very secure. The workout room is very outdated with only one cardio machine that's about 15 years old. This area has alot of hills which I liked because I like to run and I wanted to run outside. However, when I went out to run on the second day one of the neighbor's dogs chased me, which made me feel very unsafe running outside. Because this is an exclusive area everyone has dogs, some of which are very big. The neighbors sometimes let their dogs roam free which means that if you want to run outside you're taking a risk. This was a major downside because I like to workout. If you want to run, I recommend driving down to Oyster Bay resort and running in that area which is much more tourist friendly. The kitchenette was fine, but the basic dishware items were not there (no wine glasses...eek). They did give us champagne glasses but it's not quite the same. If I came back to this hotel, I would definitely stay in a one bedroom that has a fully stocked kitchen with all of the amenities. Because we are accustomed to staying in timeshares, we have become spoiled in having a full kitchen set up like a toaster, a blender, oven, etc. The studio apartments in this unit does not have that, and we missed it. We also missed not being at a beachfront property. Renting beach chairs every day are an additional expense. Also...BE AWARE...this hotels adds a 15% "service charge" to your bill. We were aware of that upfront, and asked them to negotiate a bit which they did. The front desk said that this was for government tax, but I have never had to pay a 15% tax in St Maarten ever. When I inquired they said that it's to cover cleaning your room everyday, but at the end of our stay they give you an envelope to suggest that you leave money for the housekeepers. When you are in st. martin, pay attention to whether they add 15% to your bill when you eat out. Some places try to be slick and call is a tax when it's really the service fee. We had this happen at Zee Best, and left a tip not knowing that they had already iincluded the tip by calling it a tax. When you book this hotel, ask them to waive the service fee, if they don't...ask them if you can get a complimentary rental car which is about the same price as the service fee.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at this property and it was absolutely wonderful. Everything was very quiet, clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. A huge bonus for us was the in-room kitchen and guest laundry available (after spending the previous 6 days on a boat this was ideal!). Also, pool was relaxing and hardly ever busy. Also nice to have quick walks to the nearby beaches when we wanted a change of scenery!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The location of this property is excellent! Away from the main tourist areas of the island & right on the French/Dutch border. All units have a balcony & from our bed each morning we could see St. Barts and a few other islands - absolutely gorgeous. The unit we had was well appointed with nice furniture and everything you would need while on vacation. The staff was more than pleasant and very helpful. The biggest drawback (for some) of this property is the driveway - very steep, but for us it was fun & part of the adventure. Also, it on top of a large hill so we were laughing at some of the smaller cars trying to make it to the top of the hill (they made it, but lots of struggling). The Westin is directly across the street & you have access to their facilities (nice pool), but I think you have a better view and more freedom at Princess Heights. If we return to St. Maarten, we will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Princess Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!