“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caribbean Princess

Save Saved
You added Caribbean Princess to your Saves list
Caribbean Princess
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Parc de la Baie Orientale | PO Box 5100, 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Everyone was extremly nice. Great pool equipped with a slide and diving board. Amazing room very clean and up to date. Also great view from balcony. Great bathroom nice kitchen alil bit of a high hill to hotel but very easy to get to. If you stay here u will feel like royalty :)

• Stayed October 2012

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have read the reviews written here about Caribbean Princess and I cannot say that I agree. But maybe it is a cultural thing, I am European and do not mind French style.
We stayed in a three bedroom, 3 bathroom condo on the upper floor. The apartment was modern, fresh, newly painted and had everything we wanted.The complex is very appealing, bright and well kept.

Yes, if you want to check in a a certain time, you need to call 9 outside the gate. Sylvia answers immediately, give you a code to a safe outside gate, and there you find your keys and all instructions. I think this worked fine. This is not a hotel but a condo.

The location of the condos are absolutely top class, 10 m to the beach and the different beach clubs. You have a card which allowe you free beach chairs and also the possibility to sign in the different restaurants, meaning you do not have to bring cash/credit cards to the beach.

We have been a few times in Orient Bay, first time here, and we will be back. In my opinion, the best place to stay in Orient Bay if you do not want the hotel luxuries.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

By way of background, my wife and I had stayed at the Caribbean Princess last year, on the first floor and had an excellent time; such that we decided to return this year for 2 weeks as well. That year, the onsite manager, Angie, was an absolute delight!!!
On our last day last year we were shown a 2nd floor renovated unit and fell in love with it, largely due to the amazing view of the ocean. With taxes, it would come to over $5000 for 2 weeks, which would have represented good value had everything gone as hoped for.

Upon our arrival, the evening of March 3, 2012, we immediately noticed the following deficiencies:

1)One of the sliding doors to the balcony was fully open at least 3 feet(unable to close), overpowering the AC units and allowing in heat, humidity and RAIN!!! Not to mention causing security issues. When I called the property manager on her cell phone, she said "Oh yes, I forgot to tell you about the door. We can't get anyone to fix it until the beginning of the week". At no time did she offer to move us temporarily into a vacant unit.

2)The AC unit in the second bedroom wasn't working, and was dripping all over the floor.

3)The walls were totally barren, without any pictures or decor whatsoever; and painted hospital white.

We endured the open door and the heat, humidity and rain for 3 full nights, during which time my wife had to clean up the wet floors each night, while her asthma and allergies suffered from lack of air-conditioning. When the repair man finally came on day 4 to fix the door, he admitted he didn't come the previous day (as promised), as the manager wasn't available to let him in. He was able to fix the door to the extent that it could be closed but not opened, and it remained this way for the duration of the 2 weeks.

Although the AC in the second bedroom was fixed on day 4, it continued to shower water on the floor resulting in my falling on the wet floor on one occasion hurting my hip, and damaging a suitcase.

Naturally I complained to the rental agent , Ted Demeritte, of St. Martin Reservation Center and ODRC(Owners Direct Rental Center) as well as to Joanne from his staff. I want to emphasize that they did their UTMOST to have the property manager rectify the problems, as well as fighting with the property manager Sylyie, on our behalf for fair compensation for having 3-4 days of our holiday spoiled. I have nothing but great things to say about Ted and Joanne; and have already contacted them in regards to our next few vacations. They are the ultimate professionals!

When Sylvie came on our final day to offer a one day refund for 3 days of grief, it was clear that nothing was going to change her mind. I might have well been trying to reason with a 2 year old having a temper tantrum. I reminded her that we had 3 days of grief on what was supposed to be a stress free holiday; however she seemed to feel that she was more than generous in offering one day. She also responded by saying that we should be grateful for the fact that she upgraded us at no charge to a 3 bedroom unit (which really made no differnce to us at it was just the 2 of us); while admitting at the same time that the renovations hadn't been completed prior to our arrival; thus explaining the barren hospital walls. We did had the opportunity to look through the windows of adjacent units which were beautifully decorated. I even went so far as to tell her that we were considering coming back in the summer and next winter, hoping it would motivate her to do more for us. CLEARLY SHE IS NOT AWARE OF THE POWER OF THE INTERNET AND TRIP ADVISOR!!

Other minor nuisances included broken glass on the grounds, the smell of cat urine in the hallways, no lounge chairs on the balcony(unlike last year), and no face clothes(maybe the French don't wash their faces).

I could go on but I think you are beginning to understand our frustration. It is unfortunate because if not for all the grief, we would be going back next year and indefinitely for years to come. Sylvie has permanently tainted the Caribbean Princess in our eyes, and we won't be back or be recommending it to anyone - unless there is a change in management. BRING BACK ANGIE!!

Room Tip: Second floor RENOVATED with AC working and sliding doors working and with face clothes!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I scheduled a package to St. Maarten that included airfare, a 7 day stay at the Caribbean Princess and a car for the week of January 12th. Unfortunately, there was a major snowstorm in NYC and the airport had canceled a number of flights, including mine. The airline was able to reschedule my trip to January 15th without penalty. I then spoke to Orbitz who called the hotel. They were not willing to extend my stay there because it was "high" season (although there were rooms listed as still available at the hotel on Orbitz for the dates in question). In addition, I was told that I would have to pay a $400. "penalty" for the cancelation. I decided to call the hotel myself to see if I could reason with the management and explain that this was not something in my control. The "manager" who was very haughty and nasty told me that she was "too busy and had work to do" when I called to discuss this. She offered to charge me half of the week ($1200.) that I would be missing and book the following week for the same price ($2400.). So I should pay $3600. instead of $2400. because of a snow storm and canceled flight, or cancel and pay the $400. penalty. And she had an attitude the entire conversation. I have been coming to St. Maarten for over 30 years and have stayed in many other hotels and resorts and have never been treated this way. The condo's look like they are very nice but with management like this, I would think twice about booking there. I am going back to a resort that I have stayed in before that I know would never treat guests this way. Sad.

Stayed January 2011
tampa, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We rented a condo at the Caribbean Princess on the second floor, the "Princess Anouck" in late August '09! It exceeded our (3 women) expectations. The Caribbean Princess and Orient Beach area is everthing you imagine a Caribbean island to be. You can walk the beach or take the cut off at Bikini beach where you'll find a small shipping village and restaurants. If you prefer. lounge on the beach with drinks and lunch delivered to you. Mountains in the background and the crystal blue sea in front. You will love it! Daily Maid Service too. Front Desk is quite helpful. If you like to gamble, it's a short drive to the Westin Casino.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We spent 10 wonderful days here over July 4. The vacation started out kind of rocky when we made our connection in San Juan but our bags didn't. But after that it was smooth sailing. The condo is large and well appointed, very clean and on the very best part of Orient. We were on the ground floor and had no issues with safety - use common sense. The staff (especially Angie at the desk) was very friendly and helpful, even the cabanna boys of Waikiki. Such an easy walk into the village for dinner. We especially enjoyed the private pool.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Broomall, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

We stayed at the Caribbean Princess on a Girl's Getaway Weekend in Early March of '08 and we absolutely loved the resort! Great location on one of the world's 25 best beaches.
Nudity was no problem which was great. Our 2 HUGE bedroom villa which they called beachfront wasn't really ON the beach but it's as bf as you're going to get there. We saw the ocean from our terrace but behind a row of palms and a drive path, but that wasn't a trip breaker by any means. Hey, it's St. Martin and it's 85 degrees and you're 1500 miles away from your life!
The staff was nice and the villa HUGE. Our terrage was gigantic and had plenty of room for entertaining.
Location is secluded and quiet and we loved the little market in Orient Village where we stocked up on wine and cheese and other local provisions.
The only thing that kept this from being a 5 star review is that they had no 24-hour front desk service and the day we checked in one girl was running around doing all the work. For this kind of money, round the clock front desk concierge service should be paramount, especillay given the security concerns that other travellers expressed. We were OK there, but more service is needed, at least for high season.
Also, work on your French. The front desk attendants speak English, but the domestic staff and securty guards do not. I can speak some so I didn't have "une probleme". Besides, it's make the trip more fun, mai non?
Definitely book, go, and enjoy and take your clothes off! You'll be positively transformed.

• Liked — Location, location, location!!!
  • Disliked — Needs better front desk, concierge service.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Caribbean Princess? Share your experiences!