“Good location!” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Nights+Resort Credit
Lake Wales, Florida
“Good location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

There are many mixed reviews, so I'm adding my experience at Sonesta Maho. We spent 3 days during April 2013 at the resort.

The front desk is very slow - but never once was any of the staff rude. The activities desk is not available during the weekend which was frustrating because I tried to book activities via email and they told me to wait until I arrived. They should have noted they were closed on the weekends, and on Monday morning the line to get help was very long!

We stayed in the Ocean Terrace and the room could use some remodeling. We never had hot water, which made taking showers uncomfortable. But the balcony view of the pool and ocean was remarkable! And the room was very clean.

We did not get all inclusive because we planned to get out and experience the island - not just the resort. In fact, we never ate at the resort. You can find some great places close by that include entertainment and great drinks.

If you are adventurous, get out and see the island. We did a 3hr ATV tour one day and the 3hr Rhino ride another day. Both were great and gives you a chance to see the island.

1,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Highland Mills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

fromcheck in you know your in for a great vacation every one is friendly and helpful
right after you get to your room put on your bathing suit and head for the pool and after you get wet look to your right and you will see the pool bar try a BBC it is a maho special drink it will make you forget tsa customs and even that baby that did not stop crying until the plane landed
on your way to dinner stop in at the lobby bar and see mathrew the bar tender he is a fountain of knowledge about st martins and is willing to share it sometimes I am amazed at the fact no matter how busy the bar is he is able to answer question and make sure we all have our drinks

Room Tip: I always stay in the sky tower easier to travel to pool and bars
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Sonesta Maho Beach resort is a very nice hotel and a great location. If you want to see more of the Island you an always catch a bus for 2 us Dollars that will take you we're you need to go. The Hotel is very clean, has respectable staff and consists of 4 amazing restaurants. The food is very delicious. I would recommend this resort to anyone. I plan to come back in 2014 with my wife and 2 children. I can't hardly wait to come visit tis lovely Island and resort again!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was awesome. Totally great staff, food, service and most of all, everyone was kind! My next trip to St Martin will most definitely consist of staying at this same hotel. The staff was so very kind and humble. The view of the ocean at the restaurant ocean front gives you a sense of calmness. This hotel consists of two pools and one pool has a swim up bar. This was super cool and lots of time was spend at the pool as well. This is a ver clean hotel, and you can tell that is is very well kept. The food is totally great and as I am writing this I feel like going back next week ;-)

Philipsburg, null, Netherlands Antilles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

best hotel on the island of Sint Maarten great quality, comfortable rooms, amazing food, beautiful beaches, an unforgettable experience thats how my experience was at sonesta maho the service was wonderful and the staff there were so welcoming and courteous especially MARTIKO his service towards us was excellent i would recommend if your planning to go to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort and Casino you should ask for MARTIKO

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

First of all, let me just say that St Maarten itself is gorgeous with the most beautiful blue waters you've ever seen. This resort however, is a disaster from start to finish.

Like many other guests during our stay, my boyfriend got VERY sick on the last day of our trip. Though we initially thought it was food poisoning, the manager quickly assured me that it instead was a virus, specifically norovirus. Something that is very common on cruise ships. It mimics food poisoning in that it causes painful vomiting and diarrhea that lasts 24-48 hours and comes on very quickly. On our flight home, there were other passengers from our hotel that were also violently ill. This was not an isolated incident.

I was told by the manager that a large group came in already sick and that the virus had been spreading around the resort for the past week or two, and that "dozens" of his staff were also infected. I understand that they can't control what guests bring in, but if they KNOW this is going around they should a) warn their guests and b) take extra precautions. But staying at the Sonesta you quickly realize that their staff is going to be anything but helpful.

Upon checking in, requesting and being told we'd have a room with a King bed, we were sent to a room on the other side of the resort that of course had two twins, but also had a toilet that was overflowing when we walked in. Not a good start. We did get reassigned to a room overlooking the pool with a King that seemed nicer.

Down at the pool they were out of towels, and didn't seem to care too much. But hey, we were in paradise so we were easy going about it.

It's hard to say if the food or the service were worse...they were both equally terrible. The scrambled eggs at the buffet tasted a bit like pinesol and most food looked and tasted like it'd been sitting out for days. At dinner the fish was filled with bones, at lunch the fried chicken looked like it had plastic wrap stuck to it prior to being cooked. We laughed most of it off...but it was really pretty awful.

The staff appears to not care at all about anything. It's almost impressive how they can walk by you and completely ignore you. When my boyfriend fell ill, we had to stay an extra day because he couldn't fly. After waiting over a half hour for a manager at the front desk I had to argue to get the rate of the room the same as what we'd been paying for the earlier part of our stay. When they finally caved they took away our all-inclusive access. As if we wanted to eat anymore of their terrible food anyway.

The icing on the cake was when I needed to get bottled water for my boyfriend because he was starting to get dehydrated after vomiting all day. The one store in the resort that sold bottled water closes at 7pm and the front desk informed me that they were out of bottled water. That there wasn't a single bottle of water in the whole resort that I could have or even buy. Near tears, I went up to the spa, and the ONE helpful person on their whole staff made a call and found out that it wasn't that they were out of water...it's that the person with the keys wasn't readily available. So they'd rather let their guests suffer than locate their employee. Incredible.

The resort is run down, which you could overlook if other aspects were better. But the tub was filled with rust, there was no screen on the patio door so the mosquitos ate us alive, half the towels out by the pool (when they had them available) were the size of hand towels, the bathrooms by the pool are disgusting, and the lining on the pool seemed to be coming apart. The fact that this place is rated 3.5 stars is INSANE.

The positive of the trip was the person I was traveling with, and that is all. This resort is cheap for a reason. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under any circumstance. Pay a little more and stay somewhere, ANYWHERE else.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are loud, if you're a party person you will like this. The rooms over...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

First of all anyone who is questioning if it was food poisoning or not, don't waste your time, 100% YES we definitely had food poisoning & it was violent & awful. I have never been so sick. If the staff finds out you have been sick the are very quick to tell you it was a virius. Why if so many people are sick would they not warn people at check in of the horrible virius? The front desk staff is very disorganized & gets no back-up from the manager who will not show his face. Our garden view room looked onto a sewage station & was so loud it limited us to having a conversation, although after complaining our room was moved. The staff at the Point resturant was rude and after waiting at least an hour to get our food, which was very small (4 small ravioli's) we left due to the cockroach's climbing the walls behind our table. The rep for booking outside trips extremely unfriendly so be prepared to deal with her. The hotel is outdated but that is tolerable when other things are good. I cannot recommend this place to anyone. Toronto Ontario

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!