My wife and I were accompanied by my niece and her boyfriend at Sonesta Maho beach for my Birthday and their spring break. We had a good time there, we both payed for a ocean view upgrade unfortunately we didn't both get an upgrade. My niece got a beautiful room in the renovated section on the 5th floor while my wife and I got room 392 in the old section. The room initially didn't have running water but after a call it was fixed soon but the shower tub drain was plugged. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed but the room must have been freshly painted the day before because the fumes were almost unbearable but we soon became used to them and it dried. This wasn't an ocean view, we read reviews online and purposely upgraded so we wouldn't get stuck in the old section. I visited the front desk numerous times daily to ask why we didn't get the upgrade we payed for and they said I would have to talk to some manager that was always gone or in a meeting. Finally we decided to accept the fact we got screwed and moved on with our vacation instead of spending anymore time at the front desk and showered daily in a flooded shower tub.
The restaurants have good food and the staff is friendly especially the waiter Gibson, he was so friendly and polite we returned to the same table a few nights later because we enjoyed his company and service. We also enjoyed the pub Ascot overlooking the casino, the wait staff was fun there as well.
The pool was not over crowded when we were there, Bartender Cheryl was fun and efficient, not a long wait for a drink when you have a great bartender. Breakfast is ok but no made to order omelets, try to get the cook to make one is like pulling teeth so I filled up on runny eggs and toast.
Casino in the resort was good to my niece, she was excited to win around $400. Also, Karaoke in the bar kept her entertained singing most nights.
Excursions we booked were: St Bart's Mini Cooper tour; it was awesome cruising around the French island and shopping. Its the only way to see the full island, a few hidden costs but it was worth it.
Also, Lambada Anguilla two island day trip; was fun helping hoist the main sail, only visited one island for a nice lunch at a beach bar, snorkeling was fun shallow with warm water but not much to see when compared to Cozumel or Hawaii but who cares when your having a good time. Sailing back was so peaceful one of the bartenders fell asleep behind the bar on the floor so we livened him up and got him dancing.
The Golf course is in really bad shape, everything is burned up. They watered the greens with a 3000 gal tanker while we played only to cause more damage to them, they flooded and washed away any grass that was clinging to life, we kept playing and laughing reminding each other of the 5' of snow on the ground at home so the $105 a piece with clubs and cart was pretty much worth it.
The planes take off and land all day especially in the afternoon, its hard not to watch, pretty much stop what your doing or talking about to catch a peek. It is fascinating to see up close, visit the Sunset bar and Grill for drink and a burger, and flight times. I stood behind the KLM 747 when it took off, it was awesome. Some people complain of the noise but we didn't mind, Its quiet at night.
Local cigar shop will let you call home for free if you buy something.
Sopranos piano bar is great but don't mention Ted Nugent to the piano player, his reaction was about a 9 on the tension scale. Sandra the bartender was amazing, she worked in Aruba when we were there and couldn't believe she was working in St Maarten Sopranos, she's a sweetheart.
If your looking for an all inclusive in a good location, casino, good food, overall friendly staff, within walking distance of local shops, this is the place. Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Maarten's only all-inclusive resort for families, singles and couples, the 520-room beachfront Sonesta Maho is located on 10 acres with expansive tropical gardens, stunning ocean vistas, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, the island's largest Casino, Kids Club, 2 swimming pools, day and night entertainment and much more. Duty-free shopping and nightlife is all within walking distance in the Maho Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , BookIt.com, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelsClick, Orbitz and Odigeo so you can book your Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Maho Beach Hotel
- St Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St Maarten Sonesta
- Maho Beach Hotel
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean