Having now stayed here three times, I have plenty of positive comments regarding this hotel, however there's always just as many complaints.
Strongest plus here is location - Maho is a great spot to stay on SXM because it's relatively self contained with a great mix of restaurants, bars & night clubs, the Island's best casino and a really great beach @ Mulet Bay. There's definitely way more posh & secluded spots on the Island, but this offers a nice mix of diversions that stay open late. The island is small enough to rent a car and explore beaches on the french side, so no need to feel "locked down" if you do stay here.
We always stay in their premium, ocean view rooms, which are nicely renovated and well appointed. Bathrooms are pretty average. Large balcony which is really great and used every day of the trip.
Overall, service is barely passable - interaction with the front desk, pools and definitely the restaurants all will almost always leave you disappointed. There's actually quite a few good places to eat in Maho, even for breakfast...... I wouldn't bother with anything at the hotel. The pool areas are very dated and nothing to get excited about. They do run a nice little pool bar which is always in full swing, which is nice. Their actual beachfront is equally lackluster. Much better to walk over to Mullet Bay.
I've read a lot of very negative reviews about the less expensive rooms and I can believe them. It's really worth shooting for "superior" rooms as a minimum here. Which bring up a really important point - @ $400+ per night for the ocean superior rooms, it's definitely an underwhelming experience. All food & drink is separate & offsite, so an easy $300 more per day. Gamblers can scale up from there. So it does add up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Maarten's only all-inclusive resort for families, singles and couples, the 520-room beachfront Sonesta Maho is located on 10 acres with expansive tropical gardens, stunning ocean vistas, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, the island's largest Casino, Kids Club, 2 swimming pools, day and night entertainment and much more. Duty-free shopping and nightlife is all within walking distance in the Maho Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Maho Beach Hotel
- St Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St Maarten Sonesta
- Maho Beach Hotel
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean