“It all depends on what you are looking for” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Rhine Road, Maho Beach, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Announcement
Upper Pool closed
Toronto, Canada
“It all depends on what you are looking for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my 3rd stay at this resort and each time there has been changes to the property, all for the better. The rooms are bright, freshly painted and have large screen TV with US channels, new beds a la Hilton Hotels, and a fridge stocked with soft drinks, bottled water a beer. There is an in room safe, and an ironing board. No complaints on the room or housekeeping.

I was on business so only had time to use the buffet but found the food to be well prepared and tasty. Breakfast was particularly good.

Service in the restaurant is spotty. Servers/table clearers that have been there for years don't make much of an effort, but some of the younger folk do, and were tipped accordingly.

Bar service is good with top shelf liquors and hefty pours.

WiFi is a steep $16 a day and there is no business centre and when I asked to print an urgent docuemtn off from the front office I was told all the printers were broken. Bell staff, front desk staff are not overly friendly.

Having said all that, I will be back next time I have business at the airport.

Room Tip: 8th floor facing west was the best choice (away from the main road and pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Finnish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

SONESTA MAHO BEACH RESORT/HOTEL; it is located next to the St. Martin Airport, good and clean ocean and good view. Royal Casino next to the hotel and few pubs around the hotel. It has a pool and a bar in the pool. Good food and good pizza but service at the restaurant is poor. Sometimes you have to wait a lot to get a drink and by then you are finished with your food. Recommend to stay at a room higher level floor and facing the sea so you can see landing aeroplanes to the airport (facing the bay area).

Room Tip: One other option is to stay at Phillipsburg, it is the area 30 minutes away from St. Martin airport...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
North York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I, and two of our children stayed at the Sonesta Maho for Christmas from December 23rd to the 30th, 2012. I read in a previous review, think 3 and a half stars, and you will not be disappointed. This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at this resort. It is a great location, especially if you like to gamble, casino right across the street. Our daughters had their own room, on the same floor as us, the 4th floor. We had a suite, my wife enjoys a bath at night. Neither room was renovated, but both were clean and well kept. Ocean view is the only way to go. If you have any problems in the resort, deal with Collin or Carmen. Food was great, do not miss the barbeque on Wednesday night. Was everything perfect? Absolutely not, but do not let it ruin your holiday. If you need a reliable taxi driver, call Bob 1-721- 522-5031. The valet guys at the casino have him on speed dial. He will be where you want him and when. He also took amazing care of our girls after dark. The main pool was always busy, this time we also used the pool by The Point restaurant, much quieter and loungers were always available. We did a day trip to Anquilla, pain in the [--] dealing with customs, but a great time while we were there. The girls did a Rhino ride which they enjoyed and one of the girls went horse back riding. It was her highlight of the trip. Enjoy, and watch the sun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was truly the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
The people who worked there were miserable, at check in, the bellman handed us the luggage cart and walked away, it took them 6 hours and 4 phone calls to get us a crib for our son, the keys did not work, the food was not great, the room was dark, musty and filled with mosquitos.
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

I am a seasoned international traveler, and this was truly, worse than any hotel I've stayed in anywhere...especially for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed there october second through the sixth. I kept reading the reviews leading up to our trip, thinking the worst!! Example no air,empty fridge,etc...... Well let me tell u it was the best vacation we had in a long time! The room was soo cold my wife was always telling me to turn it down! Good food, atmosphere,drinks and casino. I have been exclusively traveling the caribbean and have to say for the price its great!! LETS not forget the true jewel the awesome beach and water!!!! Would go back in a heartbeat.. Hope this eases a lot of negative anticipation!!! I am a realistic and a believer in this hotel and island. Thanks, Dennis Kobak

• Stayed October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Initially I wasn’t gonna write a review as I felt it was useless to do so but afterwards I felt compelled to do so because if I can warn just a single tourist from my review then I’d be glad. Let me tell you something : first of all I stayed two nights in St-Maarten after 5 days in Anguilla and I felt like going from Disneyland to Dexter’s table. The island is filled with crooks, players, liers and hookers. It must be fun for the guys who wants to cheat on their GF but damn…it looks like NY city Harlem circa 1966. What happened ? This use to be such a beautiful place a few years ago…

Anyway, Maho is not so bad but the only positive is the location.

Really it’s NOT worth 1700 $ a week ! Come on ! It’s not as pretty as Jamaica and the food ain’t as good Mexico and the beaches certainly aren’t as nice as Cuba or Anguilla. So why the fuss ? I think their people from SXM need a serious reality check.

Stop thinking your island is all that. The fake smile, the jewels...It's all a damn act and I ain't buying it!

First of all, the service. I come from Canada and we tip for good service (which usually includes a smile...) but the people working at the resort seem bothered ALL THE TIME.. hence the no tip for me... In SXM they are beyond slow. No speed exists for such slackers ! It hasn't been invented yet. Yes you’re on vacation and yes you’re in the Carabbean but at the same time these waiters and waitresses are beyond are TERRIBLE, AWFUL…They look like they don’t care…Actually they don't. Not to mention their lack of overall cleverness and education…I will spare you some of the conversation I've had with them...

Second of all, no beach…Almost nothing to do..People are always trying to sell you something man…I was so angry at myself for not having stayed at Anguilla which has a population of 14 000 compared to over 60 000 people in SXM.

The island. Taxi drivers are absolute hustlers. Got robbed a few times! Yay! So much for the friendly island ? lol

The island itself has sadly become shabby…Since my first trip 10 years ago, there has been a LOT more criminality, gangs, and so on...and the governement and the police won't do anything to cope with it...Avoid going to Phillipsburgh at night : gamblers, hustlers, players is what you’ll see…Sure the french side is beautiful but even their « gendarmes » have left, in the end I felt not secured at all and hated it…The only thing worth visiting for SXM is shopping. Watches, jewelry, liquor, tobacco..

Apart from that do yourself a favor pay a little extra and to go to Anguilla.

At least there are no beggers at each corner and it doesn’t look like a dump that you have to pay 2000 $ for a week.

So much for the friendly island…If the island was a Facebook friend I’d definately unfriend them but one thing’s for sure, after 3 times, I am really not going back.

My two cents!

PS : The girl at the SPA needs to loose the attitude...ridiculous and pompous...Overrated..just like the rest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I truly hope you take the time to read this review; I NEVER write reviews, but I feel compelled to share my experience. I recently visited this resort with my family (kids are 8 & 4 years old). Overall, I'm a very experienced traveller, and am very easy going. Unfortunately, this resort is NOT up to today's standards, in particular for an all inclusive resort. Before I digress, it is important that I mention that St. Maarten is gorgeous, the weather is perfect this time of year, and has great shopping and restaurants all over the island. However.......
While on our stay, we met people that visit this resort every year, and for the life of me, I don't understand why, other than I'm assuming some people enjoy familiarity, and therefore, do not want to venture outside their comfort zone.
The resort virtually does not have a beach you can actually visit; the planes land adjacent to the beach, and each time a plane takes off to leave, you need to run for your life as the awaiting sandstorm it certainly not pleasent. There are beaches you can walk to, but keep in mind that you need to pay each time for a chair, umbrella, food, and drink. The amenties at the resort are dreadful; if for example you want to eat or drink after 10 PM, good luck finding something on the resort. You will certainly need to leave the resort to be accomodated. The only place to get a drink after 10 PM is the hotel casino bar, but kids are not permitted, and therefore not practical when traveling with children. Secondly, the service from the majority of the staff is terrible; not to generalize, but typically very rude people and don't care that you are not satisfied. The fridges in the room are rarely stocked with water (or beer), and trying to have them fill them for you is near impossible. Speaking of the rooms, be ADVISED that roughly a third of the rooms face the beautiful weeds, and garbage dump. The hotel claims this to be the "golf course" view, but I assure you, it truly is the GARBAGE view. The "renovated" rooms on the the 6th floor and above are okay, but the other rooms are not comfortable and severely dated; in fact, our room didn't even have a clock inside. There is no free WIFI anywhere on the resort which in my opinion, is shockig in today's day and age. The food was overall good, although when staying one week, there is not a big variety at the buffet, but certainly it was okay. The Point restaurant on the resort is awful, so if you still decide to go after reading this review, please don't waste your time.
My family will return to St. Maarten, but there is NO chance we will ever visit this resort again. As one staff member indicated to me, he doesn't care that people complain and/or write bad reviews, as the hotel seems to always be busy; I certainly agree with him.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!