“Boaters paradise : )” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Oyster Pond, 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Marina del Rey, California
“Boaters paradise : )”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

If you want to party like there is no tomorrow... go to the Dutch side lol... for everybody else...

This boutique hotel is the front of a sailing marina filled with multi-million dollar multi hulls and is an older hotel, you can see that once this might have been a glorious place, but that said... the hotel is clean, rooms are large, good bathroom, bed etc. On top of that... I'm a big boater myself and it is very cool to meet people that have actually sailed across the world.

The staff is a mix of locals French and some American which are among the nicest and helpful people you ever meet. In the Marina are 2 bars next to each other, 1 French and the other American. These are fun places... The staff is like a family and they will give you just that feeling you won't get in the un-personal bigger hotels. The drinks are cheap and the food is good. There are also a bunch of restaurants around the place that have some very decent food. I personally had a lot of fun in the bars at night! The staff and sailors make you feel part of the family. There are only 3 beaches around on walking distance and a small hill you can hike, but on a small island like this... What is far!

If you want a cool experience of what life on a Caribbean island can be... I would recommend this place. I'll be back here for sure!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
CaptainOliver2014, Guest Relations at Captain Oliver's Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I would like first of all to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable opinion. As a customer focused organization, it is very important for us to learn about our guest's experience.
We hope you truly enjoyed your stay in Saint Martin and in our property.
I could not miss your comment on the past glory of our hotel and it is my pleasure to let you and all the readers know that since the beginning of the year the hotel has been under new management whose main goal is to revive the glory you were mentioning about and to maintain the high standing of the property.
We will be happy to welcome you again at Captain Oliver's and please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your future reservations.

Best regards
Trifon Boumbovski
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Paramaribo, Suriname
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The resort was a little far from town,but was nice.We rented a car and drove everyday to town and other places.it is cheaper than the taxi.we went with four of us and stayed about five days.the hotel is old and not modern,but acceptable.there is aircondition ,hot and cold water in the room,they were all functioning.The room is just a place for us to rest,so it didn't matter too much.for me the aircondition and hot water was very important,because I am used to it.the breakfast was good.(self service)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
AXA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Captain Oliver's resort hotel for two days, Feb 27, 28, in roon 407

All we can say of our experience is do not go there.
Our room was clean but the TV did not work, the overhead fan did not work. There are no screens in the sliding doors so because of the chikungunya virus alert in St Martin, we had to keep the doors closed and there are no other windows!

Late at night, the power went off, came on, went off. Because there was no ventilation, the room became hot and sticky.By morning, even though the power was back on, the water was off, so no shower no toilet flushing. By evening although water was on, the hot water went off. Reception was spaced out; when we checked in, all we heard was the receptionist, woman problems, boring and unsolicited.

The bar did not have limes or lemons for mixed drinks. at the entrance tyo the restaurant are the saddest most neglected looking parrots.

My friends stayed in room 410 and had the same problems. They were never given the complimentary drink coupons.

For the price, this place is a rip off.

kai Klemm

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kai Klemn,

I am terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and most of all that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We acknowledge that in some sections of the hotel the furniture and the equipment need to be replaced and I can assure you that this is one of the main goals of the new management. Any concern brought to our attention by our guests is addressed immediately and in most of the cases successfully solved. I am not sure if you discussed with the Front desk the issues listed in your comment but in most of the cases we can repair any malfunctioning equipment within hours or if we are not able to do so, we are always happy to offer another room and even upgrade the guest if the hotel availability allows it.
Other issues such as the power outages do not depend of our will and unfortunately during the period you stay with us these outages affected the entire island.
I have to admit that the whole team of the hotel felt extremely uncomfortable when we learned that you had to hear about the woman problems of one of our receptionists. This act puts in jeopardy the efforts of the team to make our guests feel comfortable and the we sincerely apologize for this unacceptable behaviour.

I hope that you would give us a second chance to prove you the quality of our services and we will be happy to welcome you again in Saint Martin.

Best regards
Trifon Boumovski
Guest Relations
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were looking for a quick getaway from the bad weather up North and Captain Oliver’s was part of a Getaway air and hotel package on the Jet Blue site. I don’t think that we got a particularly good deal price-wise, but it was an easy way to make a last minute decision. Next time I would try to check with the hotel first to see if I could work out a better deal.

After the fact I can say that I would go back to Captain Oliver’s hotel, as there were many things about this small hotel that I appreciated. But in the beginning we had some disappointments where things were not what we had been lead to expect. That can sour you at first. Let me explain.

The hotel is not on a beach, which we knew. The hotel is on a marina and a bay facing out to the ocean. If you pay a bit more for a room with an ocean view--as was recommended by others on Trip Advisor, and advice that we followed--you will find yourself with a beautiful view, watching boats coming in and out, and I must say a large lovely comfortable room.

The disappointment was that the hotel was advertised as providing complementary transportation to a nearby beach (and this is still in the brochure and web), but upon arrival we were told this service was discontinued.
Taxis on the island are not cheap, and we did not want the bother of a car rental, which was recommended by the hotel. We did splurge one day and took a cab to Grand Case, where we had a nice swim in the Caribbean and lounged on beach chairs having lunch and drinks. Lovely, but the taxi cost $25 each way!

The other disappointment was that Jet Blue usually has vouchers from the airport to the hotel on these packages, but said they could not arrange for such unless they had 5 days notice and we had booked just a couple days before. We were given the name of the two taxi companies and told they usually would work with you when you got there, but we found they were totally unreliable and we had to pay.

From what I read in the local paper, some of these issues with the cabs arise from the taxi owners wanting to make some money and not liking the voucher system or the hotel arrangements for beach shuttles. I do not begrudge them the right to try to make a better living, but it is hard on the pocket books of budget travelers: it is an example of the world moving in the direction of serving the super-rich and the middle class not having too many options anymore.

Now you might wonder why I say that I might come back here. If you can do without a beach right there and don’t want the hassle of a rental car, here are the good and convenient points:

The room was quite sizable, clean and comfortable, with the lovely view. There was a small kitchen with an electric water kettle. You can shop at a very nice little market about a 10-minute walk from the hotel.

The pool was quite nice with a transparent glass side that made it like a “people aquarium.” Most of the time we had it all to ourselves. There were two small bars down by the marina that were quite fun late afternoon/early evening. People were friendly and drinks very reasonably priced. The restaurant at the hotel was okay, but we preferred to eat dinner at a small French place nearby, Quai Ouest, which I shall review separately.

Breakfast was pleasant and relaxed overlooking the marina. Although advertised as a full breakfast, it was continental style. But the coffee was good and the croissants excellent, both plain and delicious chocolate ones. So can’t complain too much.

I might also say that the staff at the hotel do their best to make your stay relaxing and as stress-free as they can, though it may be done in Caribbean time and manner, which means leave your impatience and wanting perfection back home. The Wifi only works in the lobby, so it was amusing to be sitting there at times with others also buried in their cell phones cum computers.

I personally prefer small hotels like the Captain Oliver to the large noisy resorts that cater to the all-included package deals. If you want a scene with lots of music and noise and food, this would not be your place. But if you want a quiet spot where you can stay put and they try to make you feel like part of the family, then this is it.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean view, might cost more. Email or call the hotel directly to see if you can get a be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This is in a nice location. Restaurants & a couple of markets are nearby. Lovely views of the marina/mountains/Caribbean from room balconies. This was probably once a 5 star hotel. Still nice, though. There are restaurants on site, not my favorite on the island. For the BEST crepes on the island walk up the hill to BZH (closed on Sunday). There is a ferry to St Barth's from the resort-I did not make use of it as there is so much on St Maarten. The staff is friendly and most helpful. For those with rental cars keep in mind the parking is tight but I would strongly recommend having a car to get around-this is a lovely island to explore-I used Triple "a" car rental-they are not on sight at the airport but they will pick you up & take you to your rental-the reviews I came across for the major car rental companies had bad reviews...Triple A was fabulous. By the way the rooms side of the resort are on the French side & use their type of electricity-us electronics do not plug in-you may want to check into what is needed to allow us electronics to work.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Location **** (out of max 5) very nice location ca. 8 km from Philisburg on the French side in the bay of Oyster Pond. Supermarkets, coffee shops, restaurants either within the resort are in close to the hotel
Room. ** (out of max five). Old fashioned large room with nice view to the marina. Mountings in the bath partially do not work properly (too old). Room very clean.
Infrastructure *** (internet, reception, pool etc). Most of the time nobody at reception. Pool nice located but old fashioned. Internet sometimes ok sometimes not.
Breakfast ***( out of max five). French breakfast (croissants, baguette and marmalade). Everything else has to be paid CASH. They do not accept credit cards (for breakfast) or charging to the room. Two scrambled eggs 5 USD.
Overall rating. *** (out of max 5). Too expensive for the price asked under booking.com. They gave me a deduction of ca. 30% at the reception. Hotel is 30 – 40 years and needs to refurbished.

Room Tip: room with view to the marina.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ottawa, on
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great, large rooms. Quick drive to Philipsburgh. Beautiful view of water and bay. No sandy beach but the pool isn't crowded and is away from the hotel rooms. Day trip to St. Barth's and sailboat chartering is at the dock area. Many convenient restaurants in area, especially the Dinghy Dock Bar.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the ocean, not the marina.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Captain Oliver's Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!