I stayed at Captain Oliver's for a few days in late December 2012.
This resort is in a very good area of the island, positioned directly on the border of French Saint Martin, and the Dutch side on Oyster Pond. I booked this hotel based on comments from this travel forum and agree securing a car is quite beneficial.
This resort has a marina, two different restaurants, a pool and an open air reception area. Interestingly, there is a caged red and blue parrot which will say "hello" and "goo-bye" to you if you stop to see it outside the restaurant.
My room was very spacious and clean. The room featured a safe, a deck overlooking the marina and the sea, as well as quiet efficient air conditioning and a small walk in kitchenette.
The bathroom was clean and had been remodeled recently to include an over sized shower head, nice lighting, new bath fixtures and a hair dryer.
The pros for this hotel:
* great location on opposite side of island from the SXM airport
* Spacious, clean comfortable room
* Front desk staff has a great "can-do" attitude and was most helpful
* Nice pool area (infinity-type pool) with padded deck chairs
* Room had safe, air conditioning, kitchenette, and a nice deck overlooking the bay
* Very good room rates are available
The challenges at this hotel:
* Parking is a bit limited, especially at night
* The resort is showing its age and needs some TLC from its ownership and staff
* Cable tv channels are quite limited
* Breakfast staff at the restaurant is not friendly and difficult to deal with, WHEN you are able to get their attention
* Wifi only available in the reception lobby, not in the rooms
Ask at front desk for a view of the bay/ocean, they seem to be very accommodating.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.