“Authentic St Lucia” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Sussex
“Authentic St Lucia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I like my comforts so was a little skeptical when we first arrived. I worried about the beach that was close by. I soon relaxed though. A taxi boat away was a fab beach and the two restaurants (Belle view and Petit Peak) we found served us well. I don't think that more than 4 nights would have worked because it was limited but for 4 Nights it was great to taste real St Lucia. We moved to Rodney Bay and actually I hankered for the authenticity of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Request sea view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The overall experience of my stay at the Downtown hotel was good. It was a good base to reach everything around Soufriere. As a single woman traveling alone I felt perfectly safe walking to the Botanical garden and around town alone. I even walked the dirt road from downtown to Anse Chasanet for great snorkles and back. I had room #9 which provided me with a wonderful view of the mountains and a little bit of the bay. The room was spacious but very basic. The staff was very informative and helpful with tips. Good rotis and fresh fruits across the church near the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
tampa, fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

The hotel's pamphlet uses words like "luxurious" and "superbly" and "royal" to describe rooms and accomodations. Let me caution you that these words do not belong in describing this "hotel". I was not expecting anything fancy by any sense of the word when I booked this hotel. How could I at $60 U.S per night? I was expecting at the very least something along the lines of a motel 6 though and the downtown hotel still didn't meet my expectations. The bathroom was filthy with mold all over the shower curtain, a sewer smelling toilet that constantly ran water, a tub that did not drain so you had to stand in your own filth and a vanity that was covered in a man's freshly shaven stubble. Thankfully the bed sheets were clean and the view was fantastic. We only got maid service one day out of 3, no clean towels were left so we had to ask the desk every day. The rug next to the bathtub is a death trap for sure. I fell out of the tub trying to step down out of it and onto said rug which just slid right out from under me since it had no rubber backing to keep it still. The staff was a little aloof with the exception of charlma, she was very nice and seemed to care. She arranged most of our activities and generally followed through. Just be sure to keep track of your "taxi" tab though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Character of the hotel is not wooow but it is a nice place and well equipped albeit the low price for Caribbean terms. Sometimes a beggar or a drunk outside the hotel can be annoying but I never felt insecure. Location is very centric, if you look for beaches it's not the best choice, for good beaches you'll need a car however. Staff is very friendly, helpful and patient. Rooms and sheets very clean, atmoshpere of the hotel is functional, you maybe won't feel like holidays in Caribbean. Very good value for money, clean, all you need available.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

If you’re looking for an affordable place that will give you a feel for a local life this is the hotel for you. It is clean, in the middle of the downtown, and next to the pier from which you can catch a water taxi to either Anse Chastanet or Jalouise beaches. There are couple grocery stores next to the hotel, and couple local places to eat. We liked Mr. Archie’s and Skippers bar for happy hour.

Regarding some complaints about being harassed by locals – if you’re used to sterile resort environment, it’s understandable that you wouldn’t like hanging out at place such as Soufriere. Some locals will try to harass you, try to sell you something or plainly ask for money. We were two girls traveling and we didn’t find the place to be unsafe or anything like that. Everyone’s friendly and if you ask them to leave you alone, they will.

Overall, it’s a great, affordable hotel with beautiful views of the bay and access to beautiful beaches. It was a nice break from overly touristy area of Rodney Bay.

Room Tip: "Ask for a room facing the bay."
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Petoskey, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012 via mobile

We had read that the locals were super friendly and that Soufrier was a beautiful town. We arrived in our own rental car just as it got dark. As we attempted to turn down the side road along side of our hotel, a local jumped out into the road and started patting the hood of our car saying it was a one way street and that he would show us the way. It turns out he was just using that as an excuse to get us to think he was being helpful. He proceeded to show us up the stairs to the hotel reception desk. He then expected a "donation" for his services. We were constantly hounded by what appeared to be homeless beggars every time we left the building. They people ranged from being extremely bold, to just staring us down, to offering us pot. The town was terribly old and dirty. The room itself, aside from being up 3 flights of stairs, was fine. Our balcony overlooked the town square. People were hanging around outside until the wee hours of the morning. They were often yelling at each other. Roosters woke us up at sunrise. Overall, we were very unconfortable in the town and would not go back - especially at night. We had people try to stop us while we were driving on several occasions. We learned to just keep driving, even though they were aggressively trying to get us to stop and give them money for this or that.

• Stayed January 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Downtown Hotel was in the middle of the town. We were on the upper floor and the hotel was surprisingly clean. I was expecting bugs but I didn't see one in five days, not even mosquitoes (I'm not sure why, maybe the Sulfur Springs has something to do with it). There were two groceries stores within a minute walking and a ton of small shops like bakeries etc. We got fruit off the street (no need to negotiate, it was pretty cheap) and there was a guy selling baguettes. There was also a Chinese restaurant downstairs which I was skeptical about because of it's appearance but the food is the same as here in Montreal (and better than some places here). It is convenient and tasty so I recommend trying it out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!