“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jade Mountain Resort

Save Saved
You added Jade Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Jade Mountain Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Anse Chastanet Rd | PO Box 4000, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
SUMMER SANCTUARY
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Soufriere
Austin, Texas
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have never written a review in my life, but Jade Mountain was so far above every expectation we had, I just had to speak up. My husband and I were looking for the perfect Honeymoon location. I came across Jade Mountain and all of the reviews were just so incredible, we figured why not give it a try. I have really traveled the world, staying in 5 Star hotels from Monaco to Hawaii, Jade Mountain takes the cake!

As soon as you land, the pampering starts. We were greeted by this fabulous driver who offered us water and took our bags to his BMW. He made the hour long drive to Jade quite enjoyable. We read a lot of reviews about the "holy road" being just a terrible trip. It is bumpy, but actually really fun! It makes you feel like your are going off the grid! Once we got up to Jade, our private butler greeted us with a bellman who took our bags. They had these wonderful tropical drinks waiting and then walked us into the hotel. After we regained our composure from seeing the hotel, they took us into our sanctuary. Again, serious jaw dropping happened. It is just nothing you could ever imagine. The fabulous open air bathroom, the pool and then the VIEW! We were a little concerned about having no AC. We are from Texas, so AC is definitely a staple in our life. The room has several fans, plus a fan inside the bed. There was one night we got a little warm, but we jumped into the pool for a minute, crawled back into bed, and then woke up to the sound of the birds singing at sunrise.

So, if I haven't sold you enough, the food is out of this world incredible! I would definitely call myself a picky eater, but out of all the meals we ate, I literally loved every single bite. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails, the little black box of goodies that showed up in our room at noon everyday, and room service is mouth watering delicious. My husband and I are talking about going back just to eat more that the wonderful food. We ate several courses for every meal, so we were quite glad there was a hike to get down to the beach. The beach is pretty far down, but it is a great walk. The birds are singing, it is never too warm and it's great exercise. There were a few occasions we had a few too many drinks on the beach, so we simply pulled out our handy cell phone provided by the resort and called for a ride up to Jade.

We were also a little concerned about the missing forth wall and rain. It did rain for about 10 minutes every day, but the resort is situated so the rain does not come into the room. The first two feet or so of the room and pool get wet, but besides that, it was great to lay in our cozy bed but feel like were outside in the rain.

Lastly, the staff is just so incredible. The staffed learned really fast that my 6'5 all that is man husband has a seriously love for chocolatini's. One day, we decided to hang out for an hour or so in the lounge. We were the only ones there, so all the waiters decided to make up their own version of chocolatini's and brought them out for us to judge. It was SO much fun, plus delicious! We were there on the Total Romance Package, so all of this was included.

I could go on and on about how we had the perfect honeymoon, It was perfect. There was one day my hubby and I had a silly disagreement over something. Somehow our butler must have sensed the tension. After we got back from dinner, we opened the door to our room and found rose petals and candles leading to our bath tub, He had a full blown bubble bath going with rose petals, candles, and wine. After our super romantic bath, we walked down to our bed and he created this wonderful heart out rose petals on the bed with candles alllllll over the room. Talk about amazing!

So my two cents, IT IS WORTH EVERY SINGLE CENT! Perfect, amazing, wonderful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Atlanta Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is by far the most extraordinary hotel I have ever stayed in. The Galaxy Sanctuary is huge--larger than my entire house. We have now stayed with Jade Mountain twice and have a third trip planned this coming spring. I am generally not one for trite superlatives, but when we were shown our room on our first visit, I was overwhelmed. It took several seconds to comprehend it. 2500+ square feet and 270 degrees of open air looking out over the Caribbean sea, and the Pitons. At first I wondered where the bed was, it was simply lost in the huge space.

We knew that there was a "pool" in the room, and I pictured a little kiddie wading pool. But the pool, was literally over my wife's head. While it isn't an Olympic lap pool, you could do a couple or three real stokes from side to side. We spend several hours a day drinking champaign and playing in the pool.

The architecture is amazing. It is hard to comprehend how it was constructed.

Food and service are on par with the rooms. The butlers (Major Domos) are at you beck and call. Although, Jade Mountain has one annoying quirk. Despite your meal plan, their accounting system still requires guests to sign a voucher "promising to pay" for each meal. That should be corrected, but I have grudgingly accepted it as an "island oddity."

I recommend this hotel more highly than any I have ever visited.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just came back from a 4 night stay at Jade Mountain. Had the pleasure of staying in JB-4, a lovely suite with an infinity pool.
Key points:

-Drive from airport to hotel was pretty bad, especially the last 2 miles. Unfortunately, we just missed our helicopter ride as the flight was delayed. Anyone who suffers from car sickness should sit in the front seat of the car.

-Service at this hotel was fantastic. These people know what they are doing. They are confident, trained and best of all, relaxed and even when there is an issue, they say "no worries, you are on vacation, we will take care of it."

-I won't get into the butler thing, but yes we had our "firefly phones" and used them fairly infrequently--mostly to get a ride up form the beach as my partner just had knee surgery and was not able to walk uphill.

-Food: was great. Loved the West Indies spices, shrimp, lobster, meals were great. Breakfast was "OK," but generally we went for the healthy option each day.

-Beach: Was small. Water dropped off quickly which is typical of a volcanic terrain. Water was clean, warm and beautiful. Yes, sand was black, but no need for any water foot ware as there was nothing green or slimy anywhere at the beach. All of the beaches are public in St Lucia, so anyone can show up. My only complaint here was some people playing paddle ball, with I believe hotel equipment, over my suntanning body. A bit annoying. The beaches in St Lucia are generally small due to the volcanic terrain.

-Gassing: Yes every night at about 5 pm-when it gets dark, the hotel "gasses" the grounds between the balconies and the area towards the ocean. We called reception when we saw smoke and the told us it was bug control. We also asked one of the people who drove us to the beach and he was honest and said it worried him as well, but the hotel assured him it was "safe" spray.

-Bugs: Yes there are some, so consider brining your own spray. I found they (mosquitos) left me alone as long as I sprayed. Best not to be unsprayed at twilight.

-Our room: over the top. I have never in my life wanted to spend so much time in my hotel room. Especially for those who want to suntan naked! Easy to do in your "sanctuary." Sleeping in nature, listening to the frogs and wind was heavenly!

-Spa: These ladies are super massage therapists! Had a massage on our first day, then another 2 days later. Theo was fantastic!

Points: Really had no reason to get dressed. I went from waking up to bathing suit to evening wear every day. We didn't bother with any of the activities as there were a few issues with the Christmas day storm, but that was just fine.

Highly recommend this hotel. Yea, it was a bit costly at Christmas, over $2500 a night, but well worth it. Cant go wrong with the weather or this hotel.

Room Tip: Allt he rooms are fantastic, but I think the infinity pools act as air conditioning, as the water is...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights the week of Thanksgiving. We booked a Total Romance package that included food and activities. Upon arrival in St. Lucia, we took a taxi from the airport to the resort. It is about a 45 minute ride from the airport to jade mountain. If you are prone to motion sickness, I highly recommend you take a Dramamine pill bc the road is very windy and bumpy esp. the last part of the drive.
When we arrived to the resort, we were greeted by friendly staff with cold towels and bottled water. We were led to our Moon sanctuary JB5. At first I was a bit disappointed bc I was hoping for a room on a higher floor but i was very pleased with our sanctuary. I'm glad we were on level B considering all the stairs you have to climb. Our room had a beautiful view of the Pitons and our infinity pool had the prettiest iridescent green tiles that sparkled in the sun. The water in the pool is very chilly but you get used to it after awhile. The canopy bed was nice except the pillows were a bit hard. I was afraid it was going to be hot in our room at night but it was surprisingly cool with the fans and the breeze coming in. Fair warning: the birds will wake you up early in the morning with their loud squawking but don't be surprised considering there is no 4th wall. We tried using the whirlpool tub however when we turned it on, it made our bath water cold. We didn't try using it again afterwards. Don't worry about bringing soap or shampoo, you will be provided with Molton Brown products.
For our meals, we usually stayed in our sanctuary for breakfast and lunch. Again, watch out for the birds bc they'll have a field day with your leftovers.The breakfast and lunch brought to our room was okay, nothing very special. We had burgers at the Jungle Grill for lunch once and I would say it's not the best burger you'll ever have. Most of our dinners were at the Jade Mountain Club and we were very impressed with everything we had. I highly recommend that you get the banana split for dessert. It was so good I ordered it three times. We went down the hill to Apsara and the Tree House for dinner a couple nights and enjoyed our meals. You should definitely get the meal plan, it'll get expensive if you don't have one.
We stayed in our sanctuary for most of the time and enjoyed the pool and view instead of heading down to the beach. We did you on a few excursions: The Sunset Jazz Cruise, walking tour of plantation, Jungle Biking, Volcano Tour, and half day Sailing. The Sunset Jazz Tour is okay. You'll be served cocktails and hor d'oeuvres and there's a cheesy saxophonist that'll play along to recorded music. The walking tour and Volcano tour is educational and interesting.Jungle Biking is very strenuous and I didn't enjoy it much but our guide was very nice. We really enjoyed the half day sailing.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Jade Mountain. There are pros and cons of the resort but the pros outweigh the cons.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Park City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband & I just spent 6 nights here for our 30th anniversary. Our intent was to relax & relax we did. The room we had (JD1) was a corner room with 2 walls, an open-air 180 degree view, a huge infinity pool perched over the edge & a jacuzzi for 2 a few steps up, also with the great view.

Mostly, we stayed in our room & lounged on the comfy loungers next to our pool. Although I brought 6 swimsuits, I ended up wearing the skimpiest, not for the public one, every day in the privacy of our sanctuary.

We did not order any room service & instead ate all our meals (we were on the all-inclusive plan, which I recommend), mostly at the Jade Club. Both the food & the service there were excellent. The fresh fish at dinner was always tasty & the breakfast omelets very good. Our meal plan included drinks--but not "specialty drinks". I had piña coladas, daiquiris, mimosas & Irish coffee, all of which were included. It appears the specialty drinks were those with 8 or 9 different alchohols in them. We also tried the Jungle Burgers at Anse Mamin ( the more secluded beach) & they were great, as was the cold Piton beer I washed it down with!

To update some of the prior reviews, it looks like all the beach chairs on the 2 beaches were new, as were the 2 sun loungers in our room. I did not find the room "worn" at all. Perhaps things have been spruced up recently. They were resurfacing the tennis court when we were there. As for the butlers, we did not take advantage of ours, but will when we return next year. We were not bothered by bugs, though we did light the coils provided and slept under the netting.

We are not young honeymooners, are well traveled & found Jade Mountain a very unique (in a good way) place to unwind, relax, regroup & & escape. Ignore the negative reviews & try it. We did & we are already planning our return.

• Stayed December 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here in November 2012 for a short getaway for our wedding anniversary. We arrived on a Monday night (flight was delayed 4.5 hours due to weather :( ) and left Saturday afternoon. Ill preface this review by saying we had an amazing trip- it was just what we needed to de-stress and reconnect. We visited from NJ- so after living through the nightmare of Sandy, followed by frigid temperatures and 13 inches of snow...it would be safe to say we could have had a nice time anywhere that provided nice weather and the beach.

So ill start with the best parts: the view was amazing... We had a moon sanctuary: JC4. Truly beautiful, romantic, and this view never got old. The infinity pool overlooking the pitons was a decent size and incredibly refreshing. The food at the Jade club was very good, and I felt the servers were very nice, funny, and friendly. All staff for that matter seemed pleasant.

Many folks complain about the terrible road to get to the resort and the steps/steepness of the roads you must walk on to get to the beach and around the different areas of the properties. I had read the reviews and knew to expect this when I booked- so I truly cannot complain about this. I don't recommend this resort if you have a bad hip, knee, trouble walking, etc. Yes, there are shuttles available, but it is incredibly inconvenient to be dependent on this- you will waste a lot of your precious vacation time waiting around, or trying to get in touch with someone to help you- I will come back to this issue. Also, there are no elevators, just steps. Again, this was no problem for us, but I can see how it could be a major issue for others.

I also came with the expectation and knowledge that birds would try to scavenge our food in the room, and also leave bugs wherever they stopped. This is all true, but I knew this when I booked and can't complain. It was a reasonable trade-off for the incredible view and openness of our sanctuary.

The gym wasn't bad in comparison to other resort gyms I've seen- it was small, but air conditioned and looked out into the jungle. I didn't feel guilty about skipping this gym... The climb to and from our room was plenty of exertion for us. By the time we would reach our room, it was very refreshing to jump in the pool.

The celestial roof above the jade club was very nice to enjoy an evening cocktail. We finished dinner one night and brought our drinks to-go upstairs with us. It was beautifully clear (st lucia has no light pollution), quiet and romantic.

We booked the total romance package- although it was a short trip (4 full days), I felt it was worthwhile. It came with a bottle of champagne in the room which was really nice for our first night after dinner. While it came with a lot of excursions, we didn't want to spend our entire trip running around. We skipped the guided snorkel trip since the snorkeling at the beach right there was pretty good. Had we had more days there, I'm sure we would've done it.

We did the tour of the volcano/botanical gardens/mineral bath. I thought it was worthwhile- especially since they scheduled it in the morning. It was very interesting and we even had time to jump into the mineral baths. Thankfully, our trip was one of the first groups... hundreds of tourists arrived after us, presumably from the cruise ship. So I thought that was very nice of Jade to organize it early, and thus our group was basically alone. I will make an important point that was NOT brought to our attention which I feel should have been mentioned by the hotel director. (The director gives all new arriving guests a group tour of the property and discusses the excursions available) I have traveled before, and truly should have known better, but we forgot to bring small bills. So unless you want to tip way more than necessary, or buy crap you don't want in order to make change, I strongly suggest you bring small bills for tips. Tips ARE expected on all of these excursions.

Later that day, after returning, we did jungle-biking through the plantation on the property outside the hotel. Jade offers a free plantation tour, but with our package we could get this tour on bikes. If you are into learning about the plants they grow there and the history of the property, I do recommend the tour, and I'm glad we did the tour on the bikes. Our guide, Tyson, was very nice and very informative. Unlike our tour in the botanical gardens, he actually cracked open a cocoa-fruit and let us try the inside of it. He showed us the grapefruit trees and handed us a few leaves to illustrate the leaves actually also carry the pungent smell of the citrus-thus no fruit is needed to make the teas. He taught us about the life of banana trees,coconut trees,etc. It was a worthwhile tour. Ill warn you that I overestimated the athleticism of myself and my husband.... It was a bit strenuous at times and the st lucia heat didn't help- However,that said, I would still do this tour on the bikes if I had to do it over again.

The hotel had a fun cocktail party and dinner on the beach on Tuesday night. I really enjoyed this- they did a great job, and the desserts were delicious- almost like a mini-Venetian dessert table at a wedding.

The next morning we went for the resort scuba-diving lesson. Neither of us had ever dived, so I figured we should take advantage of this opportunity. Our instructor was Ponti- he seemed incredibly serious, and immediately I felt he knew his stuff. The minute I started putting on all this equipment, I realized why he was so serious- this scuba thing is no joke! He has an incredible amount of responsibility making sure us newbies don't hurt ourselves.. Or worse! We got into the water and he instructed us to hold hands and stay beneath the surface. I literally panicked and could not stay down. He stayed with me, one-on-one while the other helper guides moved along with my husband and the rest of the group. I was ready to run right out of that water. But he calmed me down, and step-by-step got me to continue and do the 30 foot dive with the group. Granted, I held his hand for dear life (literally!) the entire dive- imagine the patience he needed dealing with me! So I'm glad I did it- the fish and corals were beautiful and it was crazy to be swimming in between all the schools of fish. This said, I can't imagine diving without a guide, and I'm not sure I could muster the courage to do this again. This experience was my once-in-a-lifetime scuba dive, so at least I can say I got passed my fears (thanks to Ponti) this one time :)

The total romance package comes with a half-day sail. The director recommended we do the Jazzy cruise in lieu of this sail, and we could get a partial credit towards the cost of the Jazzy (which was not part of our package). So via phone, he and another woman at reception confirmed we would get a $35 credit per person ($70) toward the cost of the jazzy cruise. This credit was not applied to our bill initially, but after about 20 minutes in repeated phone calls with two separate people, they did finally honor the promised credit. (I only mention this because the last thing I wanted to deal with was billing matters on this trip. And unfortunately it happened twice but ill get to that...) So for us, the Jazzy cruise was well worth it- and exceeded expectations. It was so beautiful and they kept the drinks flowing. The sunset was perfect- and surrounding the sunset, TONS of dolphins swam around our boat, swimming and doing flips. it was fantastic! and an even added bonus, we made some really nice friends (who happened to both be our NY neighbors). By the end of the cruise, everyone on the boat was dancing, and pretty lit up. After the cruise, the Jade club accommodated us with a table for six even though only one couple had a reservation. So this was a really fun night!

On our final full day, I wanted to take advantage of the included massages. Unfortunately, my husband has zero interest in this. When booking this, I asked if there was anything they could do so I could make use of my husband's spa credit. The director said it was no problem. So since a facial was cheaper than a massage, they scheduled an in-room massage and facial for me. My husband left to go for a Bloody Mary on the beach when the spa-therapist arrived. She handed me the bill explaining I had to pay an upgrade charge for the facial...given I had literally just gotten off the phone wasting part of my morning dealing with the jazzy cruise credit issue, I was very disappointed that the promises made by the director were once again not being honored. The girl tried to use our room's cell phone (more about this later) and after multiple attempts she gave up and walked back to the spa to try to address my issue. She returned and said I could have a mini-facial- so I was fine with this. The in-room treatments are the only way to go! Nothing like hearing the actual sounds of the flowing water, the birds chirping, and the breeze hitting you while having a massage and facial. Really really nice. The therapist did an excellent job and the mini facial was just as worth it.

Any of our other down-time was spent in our room pool or at the beach. The beach was wonderful- black soft sand and clean, comfortable, ocean water. We snorkeled around the area and saw lots of fish and coral. We never ever had a hard time getting a hut with chairs. And the servers came directly to you when they saw your yellow flag posted in the sand. Unlike other places we were not harassed to buy things on the beach. This was truly nice. There was a specific area where things were sold, but they did not stalk you. On my last morning I saw one guy carving and painting wooden pieces. I saw a mini Piton piece for my son, and he negotiated the price with me. I truly didn't have too much cash on my person since I wasn't expecting to shop, but lesson learned that negotiating is expected here as well.

This total romance package comes with the all-inclusive (AI) food/drinks package. All -inclusive is definitely the way to go if you want to sample different foods or just can't make up your mind. Not to mention that the prices would be outrageous otherwise. No question about it if you are also drinkers. FYI- they don't publish this in the menus except at the jade club, but the glasses of piper champagne are the only ones you can get included. The way the menus are written, it's misleading- Initially, I didn't know any glasses of champagne were included. That said- NO bottles of wine are included-just by the glass. So if you want wine in your room, your best bet is to just bring a glass back with you from dinner/the bar, etc. I should note, if you are a wine snob- you will be incredibly disappointed with the AI house wines by the glass. I was not aware of this prior to arriving, but apparently you can bring your own wines. When we had dinner at the club with our new friends, they brought two of their own bottles from the states. Wish I had known I could do this!

Upon initial arrival to our room, the in-room fridge was stocked with 2 beers- their local brew (Piton), a few waters, etc. Given that we had an all-inclusive package, and they know you will be spending a lot of time in your room, I would've appreciated if they automatically FULLY stocked the fridge with the beer and water, on a daily basis instead of repeatedly having to order it. After I had requested this on the first night, I was disappointed that I had to keep bugging them for it.

At this point I will discuss the most annoying part of our stay at Jade Mountain. In their efforts to leave you alone, and keep away from technology, there are no room telephones. They give you a cell phone that has two call options: reception or major domo (your room butler). The problem here is the stupid phone doesn't work. One of the major annoyances of daily life (when not on vacation) is trying to communicate with someone, and the cell phone doesn't work. Who wants to deal with this when you are away? So any time you wanted a bath/pool towel, breakfast, dinner reservations, excursion reservations/questions about ANYTHING, you need to use this crap phone because there is no regular phone in the room. After my first attempt at calling the butler the night I arrived, it literally took 5 times, I had to remove the SIM card, battery, etc...The call finally went through- immediately I told our butler about this. She just said, "oh, really?"... So being it was time for dinner, I didn't press the issue. However as time went on, I mentioned this problem to everyone - not a single person offered to help us get a new phone. apparently this is how all the phones were- the other couples we met complained to us about the same issue. I can only assume that we weren't offered a new phone because they all were like this. Thus, I only attempted to use the phone when absolutely necessary. But it took 5-10 tries to make the call, including powering down the phone, removing the battery, waiting a minute for it to power back up, etc. So yes, this was a true annoyance. Anytime you wanted room service, you had to request it in writing, put it in a bag on your door- then call your butler to come pick up your choices. why cant i just call room service directly from a working phone? this way if i need to add something, or change the order, i dont have to again perform surgery on the phone, then bother the butler again after finally getting the call to go through. Just seems incredibly inefficient. Now imagine if you were also dependent on the shuttles? Good luck calling for one. This is by far my biggest complaint. There are 30 sanctuaries, and according to them, they have 90% booked rate all-year-round.... For all the "luxury" they promise and the expense that you are shelling out, I don't understand why they can't get new, working forms of communicating with their staff that are "there to meet your every need".

My griping aside, we had a wonderful vacation. If the cost was more reasonable and feasible for us, I would undoubtedly return.

• Stayed November 2013
staten island NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Landing in St. Lucia is always a treat except when its raining and thats how I landed on the lush island in the carreabean. But as luck would have it, I was headed to the wonderful Jade Mountain resort. Upon Arrival my wife and I were surprised to learn that the resort is built into a mountain but there is transportation up and down the mountain with just a quick call on a resort cell phone to your butler or requesting it at the front office. I immediately thought that my wife had booked us a fat farm and I wasn't feeling so festive and relaxed at first and then we hit room. Meet by our handsome butler, Vito, we were introduced to JF4 which sported the much sought after 3 wall room where the balcony is your living room and the iguana are your personal guests. The night time was cool and refreshing and our quarters were as comfortable as you could imagine, open to the mountain side. The beach was very beautiful also. Nice comfortable lounge chairs with cushions and you could even get spritzed with lemon water by a beach attendant twice a day. Snorkeling along the shore was fun and that was fun due to the fact that I do not snorkel and I'm scared of sharks. Not to worry, none were there. Just beautiful corral and local fish that belong in a fish tank. Beautiful. The steaks that I ate were fantastic but I didn't like paying for the bottled water that wasn't part of my MAP. The Stairs and the climbing were challenging and that is the truth. I can honestly say that it wasn't nearly as hard as It originally looked but I took short breaks climbing from the beach to the main dining area. Then from the dining area its a hill with a shallow staircase built in, leading up to the room. As the beach, with its private umbrellas creating a feeling of isolation, the room is as private and comfortable also. And, as the beach, where you could set out a flag and receive Five Star service from the hardly seen beach attendants, you have the mobile phone to reach out to your butler for the same Five Star service.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the beach that I did not stay in if any sort of climbing is not desired.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!