“breathtaking and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jade Mountain Resort

Save Saved
You added Jade Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Jade Mountain Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Anse Chastanet Rd | PO Box 4000, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“breathtaking and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a high end resort that is very tranquil and relaxing. The drive up the mountain to the hotel is quite rough and not for someone who gets dizzy or is afraid of heights. Once you get to the top of the mountain the resort is a private oasis. No TV on property so bring your favorite books and magazines to read.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Jade Mountain makes me want to take back every other "excellent" review I've ever written on TripAdvisor (except Castello Banfi in Italy) because it redefines the word "excellence". There are great resorts and then there are places that offer a once-in-a-lifetime experience and Jade definitely falls into the latter category.

I should have written this review while still there to properly convey the emotions I felt at such a spectacular place, but I'll try to relive them now. I had many questions before we went, so hopefully I can answer any you may have!

*Arriving: As soon as you exit the airport, there is a Jade Mountain counter directly in front of you to assist with transportation. I've heard that the helicopter is the way to go, however I have a fear of helicopters so we took a taxi. I had heard that the drive can be rough and that is true. It's approximately an hour drive through a residential part of St. Lucia on winding roads. The drivers knows these roads well and take them quickly. I never felt unsafe, but I did feel car sick! The last 10 minutes or so are spent on the access road to Anse Chastanet & Jade Mountain. This road is a steep, bumpy ride. I was told that they chose not to pave it to limit locals or other hotel guests from trying to get up there. Makes sense to me!

*Soufrière: Jade Mountain is located in the "Soufrière" section of St. Lucia. We drove through the downtown area on our way to Jade and I was less than impressed. I was told it was safe for tourists, but it appeared a little rough around the edges. Honestly, Jade is so spectacular that I didn't see much reason to leave the property. But, if I had chosen to do some shopping, I would have probably chosen "Castries", an area that seems to cater to tourists.

*Jade Mountain room levels: At this point, you've probably read descriptions of the different room levels. As I understood it, there are 6 floors: F (Sky), A (Star), B, C, D, and E (which seemed to be a mix of Moon, Sun and Galaxy). We stayed in JA3, a "star" room. There's no point in going to Jade and getting a "sky" room (you need the pool!). With that in mind, which level you want from there depends on what you are looking for. All rooms have beautiful views of the Pitons, but some (those on the East side of the building) may look more directly on them than others. That said, those rooms don't get the best view of the Caribbean to the West. Personally, we decided we'll stay in a "sun" room the next time around. We want the additional panoramic view that comes with the "sun", but would prefer to be on the East side of the building than the West (where the higher level "galaxy" rooms are). We thought the YouTube videos people have posted of the different rooms were very helpful in deciding.

*Jade Mountain rooms: You'll never stay in a room like this anywhere. There are no words to describe, so I'll let my pictures speak for themselves!

*Jade Mountain room pool: I was REALLY curious about the pool temperature before going because I had read many reviews that the pools are very cold. I live in South Florida and keep my home pool at 89 degrees (F). The Jade pool was chilly by comparison, but certainly not too bad to enjoy! I estimate that it was probably 80 degrees (F) give or take 2 degrees for rain, sun, etc.

*Service: There is always someone there to anticipate your every need. Additionally, we're used to "island time" in the Caribbean where no one seems to be in a hurry for anything. We were pleasantly surprised that we had relatively quick service everywhere we went.

*Resort: There isn't much to do at Jade except enjoy your room! However, we took advantage of the amenities at the sister property, Anse Chastanet. It's a short walk downhill from Jade. Yes, it's steep. We were a little out of breath coming back up, but nothing unbearable. Down at Anse, you can enjoy the Beach Bar, complimentary snorkeling, complimentary paddle-boarding, beautiful beach tiki cabanas and take a short walk to the beach and ruins at Anse Mamin.

*Dining: We never ate at the restaurants at Anse Chastanet, because Jade Mountain Club was so wonderful! Only guests of Jade can enjoy Jade Mountain Club so we wanted to take advantage of that exclusive privilege. Dinner is a 4-course menu that changes nightly. My husband & I have eaten at some of the top restaurants in the world and thoroughly enjoyed the food here.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million details, but bottom line is that Jade is a trip of a lifetime. I can't imagine why anyone would give it less than an "excellent" rating on TripAdvisor. I encourage everyone to go and see it for themselves!

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Okay--I'm actually still at the resort, on my last day here, so these impressions are pretty vivid. And they should be. I came here with my wife for a week-long getaway after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and in Conde Nast that ranked this place at the very top of Caribbean resorts--and I was not disappointed.

My wife and I have distinct likes and dislikes when we travel for pleasure. We don't like crowds. We appreciate good service. We want to be comfortable. And we really, really hate to be disappointed.

Jade met all of the above criteria--and exceeded them.

On our beach travels, we've been to Bermuda and stayed at the Southampton Princess. We've stayed at the Four Seasons on the Big Island of Hawaii. We are frequent visitors to Caneel Bay in St. John, have been to Atlantis in the Bahamas, and we have also spent a week at Peter Island in the BVI. We live hear Hilton Head, so we are familiar with everything in that area, and we've even spent considerable time at posh places in the States like the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel in California and the Cloister on Sea Island.

Jade is better than any of them, hands down.

First of all, the rooms are simply the best we have ever stayed in. They are well-appointed and huge, with three walls and a fourth one open to the most spectacular view one could ever hope for in a hotel. There's a beautiful canopied bed with mosquito netting (which is both utilitarian and romantic), a refrigerator, an honor bar, coffee pot, etc. I do wish they had a microwave oven but that's about it. There is no television and no phone, and we thought that was great. The bathroom was wonderful, with an open shower and an in in-room jacuzzi built for two. And the in-room pool was amazing to look at and swim in (as long as the sun was shining--it can be a bit cool in the shade). It's a visually stunning room.

One more word about the rooms--get one with a pool. It's unique, and it's part of what one comes here for. Yeah, it's expensive, but if you are coming to a place like Jade, spend the extra cash and go full Rolls-Royce. You won't regret it.

We stayed in a Sun room (JA1). The view of both the Pitons and the sunset was great. We did not have problems with insects or heat; although there is no AC (there can't be--you only have three walls!), we were comfortable throughout our stay. We slept better here than we do at home! The sun comes up pretty early in the tropics--the birds woke us up every morning at a little before six AM--but that was okay. We had plenty to do in paradise. Interestingly, I remarked to my wife that we had fans, crickets, tree frogs and the surf naturally providing "white noise" at night. Who needs a noisemaker?

Okay, one more thing about the rooms: they are organized into several levels. Every room has the prefix "J," for Jade (to distinguish them from the other rooms at Anse Chastanet, Jade's sister resort down the mountain). The levels with pools are from A to E, with A being the lowest and E the highest (the Jade Club restaurant is right above E level; the spa and exercise room are right below A level). The rooms are numbered on each level from 1-6; A, B and C have 6 rooms each, D has four, and E has 3. The lower numbers face more toward the west and get more sun; they also face the sunset. All of the pool rooms, at every level, have a great view of the Pitons. I've heard that JE1 is the best, but we simply loved JA1. Hopefully this will help you to understand the layout, which I had a hard time visualizing until I came here.

The food is outstanding. We ate dinner mostly at the Jade Club, on Jade's roof, which is exclusive to Jade members. There is simply no reason to eat "down mountain" at dinner--the food is not any better and it is crowded and noisy. The Jade Club is top-notch. The service is impeccable, and the waiters become your friends. They know your likes and dislikes. That's a huge plus. We did eat breakfast at the Treehouse at Anse Chastanet (it's a buffet, and faster if you are in a hurry, but you do have to fight off some very aggressive birds) and ate lunch at the both beach restaurants. The food down there is okay. We liked Anse Mamin (the smaller beach) better--there's food and drink service in both places, and Anse Mamin is quieter, with no cruise ship/dive shop traffic.

There are lots of steps, as has been mentioned in other posts. It's 417 footsteps to the beach from Jade (yes, I counted) and 301 actual stair levels. There are no elevators. So if you go down to the beach, prepare as though you are going for the day. Your major domo would be willing to get something for you if you left it, but we hated to bother them for something so mundane.

Speaking of the major domos (butlers) they were amazing. What a great service idea! They are your contact for everything--transport, activities, dinner reservations, whatever. You never have to go to the resort service desk. They give you a Firefly cell phone that you use the whole time to contact them. It's painless and seamless. We loved it.

Okay, activites--there's a lot to do. We kayaked, snorkeled, hiked, used the spa, and went biking on the jungle biking trails. It was all good. We did not go off-resort at all except to go to the airport, and did not feel like we missed out on anything. Jade is just too nice to leave for very
long.

One last thing--on the advice of a friend who had been here and frightened to death by the roads, we took the helicopter to and from the airport. It was eight minutes of awesome--well worth the expense. Just take that for what it's worth.

In summary, we're coming back. It's the perfect couples vacation spot. I could not have asked for a better experience.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had the great fortune to stay for a week for our 20th anniversary. This was the best place we could have ever dreamed of for this event! Your room will be amazing...the missing wall gives you an unbelievable view and then you add in the pool, the canopied bed, the jacuzzi, the shower, the butlers and the food and you may not ever leave your room. Which will be OK except you need to take a look at the architecture and visit the beautiful beaches and the dive center. We were able to complete our open water certification while there and Calistus Jackson, our instructor was perfect! I would defintely suggest getting the all inclusive package so you don't worry about the food/drink prices. I would also suggest that you stay at this resort with someone you are VERY comfortable with...the bathrooms are quite open. We also found that the higher the room, the better the view...but that is relative since every room looks out on the beautiful Pitons. For reference, the upper level is E and the lowest level is A. Yes, this is a very pricey place, but worth every cent. We would love to go back someday!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

A fourth visit to Jade, and amazing as always. Spectacular setting and the rooms are almost too nice to leave (The complementary upgrade that Isobel at New Wave Travel secured didn't hurt!) The major domos were great (from making sure we had dinner reservations each evening to hunting down a lost pair of sun glasses). Absolutely nothing to change; can't wait until we go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel far exceeds excellence. You are in a 3 wall room facing the famous Pitons. 1 of 4 categories to choose from. Each is spectacular. You have an infinity pool right in your room. There is a colored bag service for all your needs. You never leave the room. If you are looking for 5 star service then this is the place for you. This is not a cheap resort, but if you can afford to ESCAPE then you have to come here. It is peace and rest at its best.

Room Tip: I stayed in the sun room which has a open patio area for sunning.