“4 nights were just not enough...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jade Mountain Resort

You added Jade Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Jade Mountain Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Anse Chastanet Rd | PO Box 4000, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
New York City, New York
“4 nights were just not enough...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Amazing, amazing, amazing, end of story ... amazing. Okay, never mind, I'll continue anyway. My wife and I stayed here in early April and when we first arrived I thought, okay, not bad, considering the ebullient hype. But as time went on, I started to become addicted to it all, like crack or something, which I know nothing about, mind you.

The food was really incredible (we chose the meal plan -- good choice -- which only served to light the match that started our flaming love for Jade Mountain. Experimenting with the exotic drinks is much more fun when you aren't worried about paying extra for them, so we indulged like crazy, which made it even more fun!). The view while eating at the Jade Club was spectacular.

The scenery was mesmerizing --- we never tired of gazing at those Pitons, or photographing them in endless app-related styles. Those two baby mountains are hypnotic, let me tell you.
And the staff? Probably the best we've come across in the Islands. They have a really nice touch about them, warm and sincere. We felt Keiran and Vito, our personal butlers, were the greatest. Even the gardeners that pass you by are very friendly, so this is a staff that has been well trained by management, and a couple of tired New Yorkers just trying to escape winter really appreciated that.

We did some fun things like sailboating on the small Sunfish, Jungle Biking (That Tyson is pretty funny), snorkeling, and spa stuff, and they were all excellent. There is enough to do here to keep an active person busy, yet the beach accommodations were great if you just didn't want to do anything. Drinks and food (all on the meal plan) will just be delivered to your thatched umbrella, and that was great.

The room was very unusual, as you've probably read. Open to the air, and with a pool! Now, I have thought about this carefully and decided that the pool alone, with the absolute privacy that you have there, is almost worth the price of admission. If you were so inclined, you could do almost anything in that pool that you never get to do in other pools ... if you were so inclined.

Overall, as I've said, we are addicted to this place now and foresee coming back every winter. If you want to talk about price, well, I don't even think about it now because I was totally satisfied with the trip and isn't that kind of priceless?

Room Tip: Pay more for a room with a great view of the Pitons. That is essential.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Everyone says how amazing this place is, which is true, the service is also amazing and the menus in all restaurants are also superb. The big problem is the place isn't finished, the attempt to make the concrete pillars 'art' is not convincing and having the restaurant on the top floor of an already high building on a very steep hill gives you a great view and dining experience BUT a cardiac arrest to get there!!! There is NO excuse for not organising a lift of some sort. Being offered a car to drive you up and down the 'north face of Everest ( the only way i can describe the hill) is testament to the problem!
The bottom, older ( the bohemian label is a little old hat, it's just http://woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/visit-woods/Pages/wood-Wood tatty) is by the beach.
The beach is wonderful with a great restaurant and facilities and very attentive staff. I recommend you go down after breakfast, spend the day there and only attempt the walk back to your room once a day.
The rooms are spectacular and the butter service is a great touch. NEVER accept the fully glazed, crappy room in the basement... It's aweful and should never be let out to guests. We were dumped there, but complained and were moved. The staff dealt with my complaints well, including our last night in a top room!! How the other half live!
We have a great stay in a wonderful place, with a but of course... They were obviously forced ( planning issue or something) to put the restaurant on the roof ( this would have, or been intended/made a fabulous room). With no real solution attempted to address the 1000's of stairs the owners seem to have taken the view to bank as much money as they can while their luck lasts. I would rather have heard that they were resolving the problem, I would then go back...but NOT until.

Room Tip: Don't accept the glassed room unless you want no view, feel like your caged in, but can't li...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Dont get me wrong...we had a wonderful experience, but for the daily price, would have expected more. I just got back from Jade a few days ago and was so sad to leave. The weather, the staff, the beach was all absolutely spectacular.

Arrival to Jade:
Upon arriving at the airport, we decided to take the helicopter ride (8 min) instead of the hour long drive in a cab (we had also read that the road to Jade is not fun). We rode with 2 other couples and it was fun to see the island from a birds eye view. We were able to bring a few smaller bags on the helicopter with us, and our larger bags went by car. Upon landing on the helipad, we were greeted by a car that brought us on a couple minute drive up to Jade Mountain. We were greeted by a staff member and were brought to our sanctuary where we were explained the features of the room and resort and were "checked in" (no need to go to a front desk to check in).

Room:
Loved it. We had a nice sized room with an infinity pool and a beautiful view, although we could not directly see the pitons. The room was clean (even with the possibility of bird poo, insects or leaves with the missing fourth wall). The entire room was open, no privacy what so ever. Didn't mind this at all, although the toilet could have been more private. The fridge was stocked with some water and beverages that were included in the room fee. I liked the way you ordered room service and additional beverages.. you filled out a form where you checked off boxes and you could add/ omit things to make it more to your liking and you hung it in a "room service" bag on the door. I wrote additional things on it many times and got exactly what I asked for. Makes it so much easier than trying to explain things over the phone to someone. Many fresh towels were always available, which I loved, because I can go through several in a day.

Resort:
Jade was beautiful, haver never seen such awesome architecture, and the greenery and flowers made it feel even nicer. All the staff were very friendly, although I was asked several times what room number I was in (it seemed as if they thought I was just a non-guest wandering the property). I LOVED all the stairs at both Jade and the way down to Anse Chastanet and the beach. They have a shuttle that goes back and forth, but we chose to take advantage of the forced exercise. Nothing better than burning off all the food and alcohol while on vacation (some may not agree with me on this). I consider myself in decent shape, work out regularly, but these stairs killed me ( LOVED IT though). We walked down to the beach daily and were always able to easily get some lounge chairs and towels laid out by the staff. The bar / restaurant there was great. We spent a great deal of time at the bar, Kerwin was great.
One of the nights we chose to venture off the property and go into town. Was a wonderful experience. Not long after arriving at the first local bar, we ran into one of the waiters that we knew from the Jade restaurant. He spent the next two hours with us walking around showing us the town and brought us to about six local bars. Was a great time and so nice of him to show us around and have us experience hanging with the locals. Everyone we met in town were very friendly.
As far as sleeping,the fact that you are open to the elements and the natural noises from nature I LOVED. I have never slept better. The cool breeze, the fresh air, the running water from the pool, the tree frogs, the crickets and birds... all were so calming and provided me with a restful sleep.
On a side note, I know that there is an infinity pool in the room you are supposed to enjoy, but I would have liked to see a nice big main pool in the sun with lounge chairs. The one located in the restaurant I would not consider a main pool. First of all, you would be swimming while people are within arms reach to you eating there meals and it is not in the sun.

Food:
We got room service for breakfast a few times, ate at Jade Club for dinner, several meals at the beach bar and then dinner at the Tree House restaurant at Anse. The night we went into town, we went to the top rated restaurant in Soufirere called Orlandos (He was a chef at Ladera resort before he decided to leave and open his own place). All in all regarding the food, it was great, but nothing spectacular. However, the scallops i had at Jade Club were definitely spectacular. A common theme I have found at Jade / Anse and Soufriere in general is that they do not believe in ice, service can be a little slow (island time) and you sometimes have to ask for something several times. I dont eat meat, so I always choose seafood off the menu and found most as I said to be good and definitely fresh, but nothing mind blowing (except those scallops ;). The vegetables however, always were very fresh and delicious.

All in all, it was a wonderfull experience.. the resort, the food, the service, the views, the weather, however, not so sure it lived up the the extravagant price. I hate to say it, but I have stayed at top rated 5 star resorts that are less expensive with better service / amenities.

Room Tip: Didnt see the inside of any of the other rooms, but I thought ours was great (JB1) We got one of th...
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just got home from a four night stay at the resort for a Easter weekend. We stayed in a Sun Room that was beautiful.

My review may seem negative because I focus on the less-than-good more than the good, but everyone on this list drowns the resort in praise, so I didn't feel a need to go there, as it's all been said multiple times before. I'm still giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

THE GOOD

A special shout out to MacGregor and Bentley who went far out of their way to make our stay wonderful.

I had previously stayed at Ladera in St. Lucia, which has a similar concept of three walls, much higher up on the a different mountain near Jade Mountain. Ladera is a better value and a better view. Unfortunately with better view, comes the fact that Ladera is so high up, that it has no direct beach access, and forces you to take a shuttle to someone else's beach. With Jade, you get the view and direct beach access (although it is dozens and dozens of flights down to the beach, or calling for a ride). Having the views from Jade, but beach access is key.

We are both active and enjoyed the long trek down to the beach and the labor-intensive walk back to Jade Mountain. It was good exercise, but not for the elderly or the out of shape.

The architecture was amazing. See my pics and you'll agree!

The food was good, but not exceptional. Although the breakfasts were pretty great (and I say this because I rarely eat anything other than a bowl of cereal and a banana for breakfast).

The rooms are wonderful; if you are interested in staying in your room most of your time, you will NOT be disappointed!

THE OK, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER:

The toilet is out in the open. If you are a couple that is fine with zero privacy on the toilet, you'll be fine. If you prefer any bit of privacy on the toilet, you'll suggest that whoever you are staying with leave the room on occasion.

Room Service was a little lacking. They hit about 90% of our order correctly every time, but never hit it 100% correctly. Not a big deal by any stretch, and they were quick to fix their error.

There was an wonderful cascading waterfall that we wished was on the entire time, but lame guests complained that the loud sounds of a cascading waterfall annoyed them.

I knew the price ahead of time and agreed to it, but the price of the room was nowhere near worth it. I'm used to paying absurd prices at the upper echelon hotels of Paris, Rome, Lake Como, Cabo, Amalfi Coast, and this was much higher and not worth it.
THE DOWNRIGHT ANNOYING

Most rooms have a pool in them, so if that is the only pool you want, you'll be fine. I, however, like having a main pool and pool bar to go to at my resorts so I can lay in the sun and get an occasional drink. At Jade, the main pool is in the restaurant. NO ONE goes in there. And there's no where to lay out near the main pool, as there is a roof there. The beach is nice, but if you want sun and don't want to go to the beach every day, but want some sun, you are out of your luck at Jade.

The road from Soufrerie to Jade is not paved. This means that it takes 15-20 minutes of annoying travel if you want to leave the resort. My opinion, and the consensus of those I spoke to is that the resort does this to keep guests on the resort, spending money. Considering the cost of the resort, it is a bit absurd to be so greedy. I heard an employee give the well-prepared excuse that the rode is unpaved so that guests are even more impressed with the resort after arriving over the long bumpy treck. The resort is amazingly beautiful and a good or bad ride in, would not change this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Jade Mountain is a truly exceptional hotel ideally situated on a beautiful, unspoiled, tropical, mountainous island. The 29 room hotel is quietly luxurious while still keeping true to its relaxed Caribbean Island roots. It is the "jewel in the crown" of Saint Lucia, pure and simple.

The experience of staying in a Jade Sanctuary with an open-to-nature 4th wall (and an infinity pool that looks out onto the sea with breathtaking views of the Pitons) will exceed your expectations. As beautiful as the on-line photos are, the reality for us was even more phenomenal than we had imagined.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. There were 5 areas to relax in: the outside terrace with 2 reclining chairs; the inside sofa/chair area; the large dining room table; another inside area adjacent to the pool with a large (for 2 people) cushioned lounger; and, a canopied bed with screening on all sides. There were also fans throughout the room to keep the air moving if the breezes off the ocean aren't sufficient.

There is an open-concept bathroom that is elevated from the rest of the room. From the shower and jacuzzi tub, you have awe-inspiring views of the sea and the Pitons. There were also fresh cut flowers, multiple candles, robes, abundant towels and a daily Bento Box (containing afternoon snacks) delivered to the well-stocked fridge each day.

We never tired of spending time in our room, looking out at the various ships and sailing vessels that traversed the waters below the Pitons. The view from our Sanctuary was as spell-binding on the last day of our stay as it was on our first. Our room (JB6) lulled us into a state of utter tranquility, making it difficult -- like we've never experienced before -- for us to pull ourselves away to do other vacation-related things.

As difficult as it was to leave our Sanctuary, we did eventually partake in the following activities: beach time (we loved the smaller more private Anse Mamin beach); snorkelling; daily work-outs in the fitness room; a couples massage at the Spa; a private dinner on the Beach; the jazz sunset cruise; and, tours of the old plantation and the hotel's organic farm. These activities were all excellent and are highly recommended.

The staff -- particularly the Butlers -- could not have been friendlier, more charming or more helpful. Al and Mervyn were "on call for us day and night. Their role was to make our stay welcoming, effortless and completely stress-free. And boy...did they succeed!

The food at Jade was simply superlative (fresh, organic, flavourful and beautifully presented in perfectly sized portions). While there is only one restaurant at Jade, there are several others that one has access to at the sister hotel Anse Chastenet. However, we found ourselves gravitating to the Jade restaurant almost every night.

Above the restaurant is a large roof-top terrace where views of the stars can be enjoyed over a drink while lounging in one of the deep, comfortable chairs. On several nights during our week-long stay, there was live music to enjoy or dance to. The music ended early though (before10pm) which was just as well given the open 4th walls below and the tendency to rise early with the sun.

Although there are a lot of stairs to navigate -- both within Jade Mountain as well as to get down to the beach, other bars and restaurants of Anse Chastenet -- there is a shuttle van available day and night for those who don't relish the extra exercise. Even climbing stairs at Jade was a pleasure given the surrounding flowers, lush vegetation, well-maintained fish pools and subtle lighting.

In short, we simply cannot recommend Jade Mountain highly enough. While pricey, you'll discover that it is worth every penny spent. It is an oasis of calm, luxury, fine dining, gracious living and pure natural beauty. It is not to be missed!!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This review is a bit late in coming so the time is off. I have had a very busy life and have not sat down to write about this place. It was a tremendous experience. Everything I was looking for in a vacation. I wanted solitude when I desired, I wanted community when I desired, I wanted endless lounging and reading if I chose in my room with my lovely pool and room service that was monitored often by leaving a sign at the door. No communication if you wanted indeed for those that spend a good deal being in communication it's ideal to go and check out. No TVs to watch! No phones to answer! Only beautiful sunsets to muse over and a lovely fruity beverage in your hand. If you choose an adventure there is a staff that will coordinate it all. I highly recommend a drift dive if you do that sort of thing! I would say splurge for the Jade portion of the hotel. Now, 'tis a bit of a hike to the beach for those of you that are not in shape, but it isn't so bad, a few trips and you will be used to it. For you New Yorkers it's a walk up. Get the pool in your room...see where superman flew. It is stunning and worth it. Clearly something to write about. I would most certainly go back after I do the rest of my world touring.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We went here for a special anniversary and it exceeded our expectations. The concept of the open wall and the in room pool were the attractions which brought us here, but the peaceful atmosphere and calming influence were spectacular. Beyond how wonderful the room (sanctuary) was, I was afraid i would be bored. The snorkeling was wonderful, but make sure to take the bike tour (Ask for "Bike Tyson" as your guide) both for the nature and to see the old sugar plantation ruins. If on the beach, make sure to look for the "man who spreads happiness" and get one of the cool lemongrass scented towels. the whole resort is intent on ecological soundness, if you have time, take the farm tour and ask for Peter.

Room Tip: The way this is built, there are no bad rooms or views. Just decide how big of a pool you want.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!