Loved the experience staying at Fond Doux, we stayed at the Hilltop Guava (yes it's a little hike to get up there, but after the first day it was easier). We had an amazing view of the valley, no need for A/C because the fan and fresh air kept us cool and comfortable, we had enough privacy. Loved sitting out on the balcony, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells (good ones of course), all around us. We had some trouble sleeping the first night with so many creatures around us, but it made it fun and truly a nature experience.
* Tet Paul nature trail- accessible right from the Fond Doux gate, it is a challenging climb to get to the nature trail, but was doable, bring water. The nature trail wasn't too long, but we enjoyed the views of the Pitons and learned about trees/plants/fruits/vegetables along the way. It is a guided tour and I think $6US.
* Plantation tour- loved seeing how things look right from the tree. Phil even quizzed us and asked us to tell us what spice it was, that made it fun. We saw and smelled cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, which I use often in cooking. So to see it right from a tree was an awesome experience. I really like how they are a heritage site and work to keep the plantation running in it's original form
* Rainforest hike with Mango- AWESOME EXPERIENCE! Mango was an awesome tour guide and friend (as he often referred us :)). My husband and I did not think we were fit for Gros Piton, so we opted for the Rainforest hike instead. This was definitely challenging, but we did the entire trail and saw the waterfall at the base. Took us about 3.5-4 hours in total. Great experience, the rainforest is so lush and tropical.
* Cooking class with Gilda- Had a lot of fun cooking together with one of the chefs Gilda. We made the traditional dish Saltfish and Green figs, had a lot of fun. She is super friendly, we enjoyed talking with her while cooking and learning about St. Lucian cuisine and culture.
* Spa- had an awesome couples massage at their spa. The spa itself was small, I think they are adding an extension. This is where the communication issue was. We requested a De-stress massage which was 40 minutes, we advised the receptionist of this, and she was to relay the message to the Spa. We started our treatment and it seemed to be going longer than we expected. When we checked out with reception we were charged for a 60 minute Swedish massage! This was more expensive than service we had requested. The receptionist said "Oh yea I was surprised when I heard you did the Swedish massage, I thought you had changed your mind..." I'm thinking to myself, "No, we did not change our mind, you were supposed to inform the spa staff of our request, because at no time during our service did the spa staff ask us what service we were getting." That was a bit of a bummer to end on that note, but we were not going to pay more for a service we did not ask for. After some time, the receptionist said OK and charged us for the less expensive De-stress massage, but I almost felt like she thought we were trying to get away with something, when we obviously weren't. Like I said, the service itself was awesome, the 2 spa staff ladies were great, and I do hope they are compensated in full for their time.
The breakfast was good, nice to have some local cuisine, great daily baked bread! Seemed a little disorganized, especially when ordering eggs. I arrived first one day and it seemed like my order was taken last. Very uncomfortable pillows! Too hard, there should be some softer ones available in the room.
Overall a great place, I'm so happy we stayed here. We split our time here and elsewhere to get views of the Pitons. I'm really happy we did that, having views of the majestic Pitons was so memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere