“Charming cottages in lush tropical beauty” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Fall Special!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Frankfort, Indiana
“Charming cottages in lush tropical beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I joined two of our friends for an amazing week at Fond Doux! We found the beautifully restored cottages to be so charming with the gingerbread wood cut outs in the walls, the high ceilings, and front porch (where I was able to spend several mornings painting pictures of the cacoa tree, banana tree, and flowers surrounding the cottage). Beautiful paths through the rainforest led to the wonderful Jardin Cacao restaurant, which had great food and the best natural ambiance of any restaurant we saw in St. Lucia. The pools, though small, were in a beautiful jungle setting, so private, just lovely! We would highly recommend this resort! It is not your typical lodging, and is in a great location near the PItons and other places of interest. I would recommend renting a 4 wheel drive SUV to be able to drive to these sites, and to the nearby beaches of Sugar beach and Anse Chastenet. These 2 beaches were great for snorkeling - we saw many colorful fish and coral- and held the breathtaking views of the huge Pitons. Loved, loved , loved Fond Doux!

Room Tip: If you do not want to climb a lot of stairs to your cottage, the Bamboo is a good choice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CHARMING REVIEW!!

Dear 602Artistkathy,

Thank you for your honest review and we are so pleased to read that you had an amazing week here with us. Your review is concise and simple; it definitely covers all the elements which make Fond Doux Holiday Plantation a unique property unrivaled in its offerings.
We are delighted to read that you were able to paint pictures of the flowers and trees surrounding your cottage. The Fond Doux Family is constantly growing with artists, painters, photographers and novelist, - the magical rain forest ambiance does create an atmosphere where artistic and creative ideas bloom.
The favorable comments about the charming cottages, great cuisine, natural rainforest ambiance, beautiful jungle setting and the pools are greatly appreciated.
It is through positive reviews from guests that we are able to maintain our standard and ensure that we provide the best value. Thank you for your endorsement and support, we look forward to welcoming you back to paradise.
Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I miss my St. Lucia gem already!
I traveled alone and stayed at Fond Doux for a week on an all inclusive vacation.
The plantation is magical, so lush and full of tropical flowers and trees, cocoa trees were everywhere. Definitely try the plantation tour, it will be a fun lesson in botany and at the end of it you are taken on a trail at the top of the property with majestic views of Petite Piton. Overall the place is quiet, and relaxing, without TVs, eco plantation totally in tune with nature yet designed to pamper you.
ACCOMODATIONS: All of the cottages are stunning. Cute and comfy, and with no AC. Bring your own pillow if you are bothered by a somewhat scrunchy plastic wrap inside the pillows, no doubt to prevent them from humidity damage. I stayed in African Tulip cottage for six nights and honeymoon Hilltop Papaya for one night. I definitely reccomend hilltop cottages because of the views, and they have a private pool and a beautiful outdoor shower also completely private. The hilltop cottages also have built in electricity converters so you don't have to worry about charging your electronics. For the African Tulip cottage I got the converter from the reception and it worked fine. African Tulip had a hammock on the porch which I loved, it was wonderfully relaxing laying in the hammock and watching hummingbirds, which are everywhere. The plantation is eco friendly and organic and I was happy to support a place like that and would come back again.
STAFF: absolutely amazing service! I felt nurtured and taken care of by lovely ladies, Leolita and Vinnie being my favorite. They knew me by name and helped me with everything I needed. I asked them if it's just staff at the plantation or if everybody is nice in St. Lucia and they said "It's a St. Lucian thing." And it's true, traveling alone and being a woman I felt very safe, nurtured and welcomed in St. Lucia
BEACHES: you will need transportation. Hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to Sugar Beach at 10 AM and they pick you up at 4, all other times it's a $30 round trip. Sugar Beach was pretty but nowhere near as nice as Anse Chastanet, which had super clear emerald waters, natural black silver volcanic sand, and the nicest kindest staff even if you are not staying at Anse Chastanet resort they still treat you like loving family. (Sugar Beach wasn't that nice). You can take a water taxi from Sugar Beach to Anse Chastanet for $20 round trip. So Answ Mimin is a short 10 min walk from Anse Chastanet and you will basically have the whole beach for yourself if you want privacy. Anse Mimin also makes a great spot for lunch, the best burgers in St. Lucia. Snorkeling is a must at Anse Chastanet, I saw an amazing indigo fish with electric blue dots on it. They call it a parrot fish.
MEALS: Since I'm a beach lover I probably shouldn't have gotten all inclusive meal package as I spent lunch at the beach and it's costly to travel back to Fond Doux for lunch (it's not complimentary). For dinner catch of the day was always good. The ground provisions come straight from the plantation so I loved that. I got to try new root vegetables I've never tried before, like purple potato. I didn't like bbq ribs because they were mostly gristle and not much meat. So I reccomend catch of the day mostly or salads. Breakfast is a buffet of local bakes, salty fish, and fruit. Ask for eggs at breakfast as they are not on the buffet but the staff is always happy to cook you eggs to order which was so nice.
DRINKS: The bar makes wonderful frozen drinks and rum punch. My favorite is Cocoa Fond Doux without grenadine (tell them no grenadine) and it tastes like perfect chocolate smoothie. Ladies you will love it! Oh and for breakfast you must try cocoa tea, local specialty.
TRAILS: Tet Paul Nature trail is close to the property. You can walk there in about 30 mins and then the $5 guided tour is magnificent, slow paced with gorgeous views of the Pitons and a lesson in bottany. I loved seeing pineapple and papaya grow.
VOLCANO: The volcano is nearby, the worlds only drive through volcano and a fun mud bath ( supposed to make you feel 10 years younger ), and you must check out The Piton Warm Waterfall. Both places are a short taxi ride from the plantation.
TRANSPORTATION: I don't revommend driving. The roads are narrow in many places wide enough for one car, curvy roads with no guard railing and steep dropp off into the forest or the ocean, and they drive on the left side of the road. They have very affordable (a few bucks) and safe BUS transportation between Castries and Soufreire. I liked hiring a taxi driver outside the plantation as it was about the same as renting a car, but safer, and cheaper than hotel transportation.

This was a perfect relaxing vacation. I'll come back again.

• Stayed October 2013
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
WE MISS YOU TOO AND LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU BACK!!!
Dear AmberLil,
When you think of a perfect review, one that covers every detail and recognizes every nuance of a place, don’t bother trying to write it out – just read this post. Thank you for sharing all your enthusiastic discoveries and experiences while staying at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. They are so real and genuine – from the heart – which makes them extra special. Rarely does a guest go to this effort to re-cap and expound on a holiday experience, regardless of where they have travelled and why. But to provide this level of minutia to all the positive aspects of the Fond Doux Holiday Plantation experience is truly exceptional, and we thank you wholeheartedly for that and all the effort you have gone to in order to make your point.
From a careful reading of your posting, it is evident that you are indeed one of the avid travel experts, and that you have captured the true authenticity of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, we have not only met but exceeded your overall expectations. You have definitely caught the Fond Doux bug - welcome to the ever expanding Fond Doux family. As an eco-friendly property we go above and beyond to ensure that we meet the necessary standards and so it is extremely heartwarming when we receive positive feedback from guests in support of our efforts.
With regards to your comments about the pillows, please be advised that this has been rectified. Your comments about the plantation, accommodation, food and beverage, and especially the staff are all received with the highest gratitude – What more can we ask for?
We are indeed happy that we were able to deliver another amazing and relaxing experience and will be sure to pass on your feedback to our team.
There is not much to be said, we can only encourage potential travelers to “Simply Beautiful” Saint Lucia to read this review as it is full of helpful and useful information. We know the Caribbean and what it has to offer – there is something for everyone. We also know that Fond Doux is different, as do so many of our ever-expanding Fond Doux family. Thank you for your commitment to return to paradise and we simply can’t wait to see you.
Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

my husband and I came here for a mini vacation. Though we read the reviews it didn't prepare us for what we'd find. The staff at Fond Doux are polite and helpful. Always saying hello. Truly are an inviting people.
The owner himself is very involved. You'll see him daily talking to guests and overseeing. He is so involved that when I told him how much I loved plantain and I've never had before in my life he called the kitchen and told them next morning for breakfast to serve it.

Overall food is great. Their staff friendly and fun. Rooms are comfy and drinks are much better tasting then other resorts we've been to on the island.

• Stayed October 2013
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWS!!
Dear Pac8,
Stating that although you read the reviews it still did not prepare you for what you would find- is quite a testament to the time you spent with us, thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement.
Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is a hallmark that represents all that is St Lucian. St. Lucians are generally known for their friendliness and the staff at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation embodies all their qualities. We are happy that you too picked up on the friendliness and politeness of our team. We take pride in what we do and will go above and beyond to ensure that we meet the needs of all our guests, whether it is to include a favorite dish on the breakfast buffet as it is the simple things that count. What really sets Fond Doux apart from the big resorts is the fact that the guests are able to meet with us face to face on a day to day basis which does add a special touch to their stay- this is something that most resorts can only dream about.
Your comments about the food, drinks, rooms and especially the staff are most appreciated.
Hopefully, all of these aspects will encourage you to revisit sometime soon and we too would love to have you back to relive all the pleasures of the plantation life.
Thank you for your overwhelming support.
Texarkana, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I came with my alone to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and I loved it, I will without a doubt be returning next year and this time I will be bringing my family with me so they can enjoy this lovely plantation.

The pictures do the place no justice, its actually much better, it was like living in a dream land.

Special thanks to the owners and the staffs who made my stay so lovely and memorable.

I already miss you all!

Room Tip: if traveling alone stay in one of the lower cottages like Cinnamon or African.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
SPEECHLESS WITH THANKS!!
Dear Joyann202,
We greatly appreciate your concise but powerfully positive feedback on your recent stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that without a doubt you will be returning next year with your family so they too can get to experience our beautiful plantation.
It is heartwarming to read that you share the same sentiments with previous reviewers on this board with regards to the fact that the pictures does not do enough justice and that the plantation is even more beautiful; as you rightfully stated “it was like living in a dream land”.
We are delighted to read that the staff made your stay a lovely and memorable one and we are happy that they were able to deliver once again.
From all your positive remarks, we are truly confident that you will join the legions of guests which have become part of the Fond Doux family.
We are so pleased to read that you will be coming back again soon,and this time around with your family.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Ever wanted time to just slow down so you can treat yourself and immerse all your senses in the nature and silence around? In that case Fond Doux is just what you might be looking for! This was our first trip to St Lucia and fell completely in love with the place.
Airport transport (about $70 for 2 people one way) : Getting through customs was for the most part pretty painless and we got through in about 20 minutes (despite three flights coming in at almost the same time).Before arriving we had arranged airport transportation with Fond Doux which was very convenient. The trip from the UVF to Fond Doux took about 45 minutes as our driver Happiness made a few pit stops at some of the smaller fishing villages on the way.
Check In: As soon as we walked into the office to check in i was blown away by the fact that everyone already knew our names and everyone greeted us like we were long lost friends (you just do not see service like this anymore!! that alone is reason enough for me to return next year!). Also the punch they give you when you first arrive is simply divine!
Room: We stayed at the Hilltop Coconut and the room is just delightful, we certainly underestimated how high the climb to the room is! The view from the room is unbeatable but the climb is something to definitely keep in mind as it is a bit strenuous especially if you do it a few times a day. We left the doors open to keep the room cool which is quite pleasant and in hindsight i would bring a clothespin to hold the ends of the mosquito net together at night and also bring a lot more bug spray (being in the rain forest and all).
Food and Drinks: We did the all inclusive package which i would definitely recommend. There are two restaurants on site (one for breakfast and lunch and one for dinner) and one main bar at the dinner restaurant. We did not stay most days for lunch but i understand they have tour groups in from other hotels who typically eat at the lunch buffet from 12-3. There aren't very many options at dinner but the catch of the day and the Chefs Specials kept us very happy. I also loved the fact that the bartenders made the drinks very meticulously and hit a home run every time; the Piton Punch is delicious!
Spa: We got a couples Swedish massage which was wonderful and very relaxing. i would definitely recommend that since it is probably one of the most thorough massages i have ever had.
Excursions: There is a free shuttle to Jalousie Beach every morning at 10 and is probably one of the best ways to get around (i was too chicken to drive on the narrow windy roads). Fond Doux also arranges transportation for wherever you my want to go (I loved how the limited number of accommodations here allow a much more personalized experience). Jalousie has wonderful snorkeling and if you are able to bring your snorkel gear with you it will save you a lot of money. You can also ask Randoph (ask anyone at the beach everyone knows him) to provide you with a water taxi from Jalousie to Anse Chastanet- best view of the pitons from the water and also cheaper than ground transportation ($20 per person round-trip from Sugar beach) ! Anse Chastanet has great snorkeling too but if you want to relax and have the best burger of your life, veer off the resort beach and follow the road to Anse Mamin (just a 10 minute walk) but feels like a completely private beach!
Fond Doux is a true gem and completely out of the ordinary; my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!

Room Tip: Any of the hilltop cottages have spectacular views for require you to be in decent shape
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SLICE OF PARADISE REVIEW –MOST APPRECIATED!!

Dear Nida S,

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking the time to write such a wonderful detailed review. You are quite right, in this fast paced world persons need to just slow down so that they can treat themselves and immerse all their senses in the nature and silence around. It is gratifying to read that this was your first trip to St Lucia and that you fell completely in love with the place- what more can we ask for.

At Fond Doux we do believe in the saying “first impressions are lasting” and consider our drivers as ambassadors for both St. Lucia and Fond Doux Holiday Plantation therefore, they will go above and beyond to ensure that they exceed your overall expectations from the minute you are picked up from the airport. Professional service is a top priority here at Fond Doux; we are delighted to read that you were indeed blown away by the fact that everyone had already known your names and everyone greeted you like lost friends - as we do consider all guests as family. We understand that it is the simple and little things that make big statements and so it is rewarding to read that you found that the excellent service that you received here at Fond Doux no longer exists and that alone is reason enough for you to return next year!. This is indeed a resounding endorsement. It is evident that you have caught the Fond Doux Bug and there is no need to fight it as your Fond Doux family awaits you with open arms.

Your comments about the cottage, food, drinks, spa and excursions are all received with the highest gratitude. The true purpose of this website is to assist potential travelers to St. Lucia in making an informed and comfortable decision about where they might like to stay for their holiday. In that regard, we would encourage all would-be guests to read this review very carefully and take in all the detail which has been so carefully provided by these satisfied guests. From a hotel’s perspective, it doesn’t get much better than this. A review of this quality must be earned, as it is written from the heart.

Thank you for your ongoing support – you are among a rapidly growing group of discerning travelers who seem to have found paradise.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

What can I say about Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. This is a place for friends,couples and families. And also a place if u need your freedom from the outside world. I highly recommend visiting this beautiful garden.This is our second visit and it felt like our first.

My friend and I only spend one night. It was great been back at Fond Doux been there brought back memories of my first visit.

It was great to see some of the friendly faces that we knew and also to meet new ones. We would like to thank Mr and Mrs. Lamontagne, Indira, Eugenia, Lovelya, Cornelia and Katrina for making our stay enjoyable even though it was for one night.

We will be seen you soon in december.

• Stayed October 2013
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
FOND DOUX HOLIDAY PLANTATION - AN ESCAPE FROM THE EVERYDAY LIFE

Dear Babykiki,

We greatly appreciate the review you have posted on your recent holiday experience at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. Thank you for clarifying what Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is - it is indeed a place where couples, families and friends can escape the everyday world.

We are delighted to read that you felt great to be back and that it brought back memories of your first visit. We try our best to ensure that our guests leave our shores with memories that will last a lifetime and we are happy that we were able to deliver once again. We will be sure to pass on your comments to our team and commend them for a job well done especially those mentioned in your post.

We are so pleased to hear that you have already booked your third visit - what more could we possibly ask for than that? Thank you for your ongoing support and commitment and we look forward to welcoming you again for another fabulous stay.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I must say. Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is a little heaven here on earth. The sight of this plantation will take ur breath away.This is my second time here at Fond Doux and it is wonderful. We stayed in the Hilltop Mango and the view was OMG. My husband and I enjoyed our private pool and our out door shower.

At fond doux we were treated like family. The staff are welcoming and also the owners. We were greeted every morning with a friendly smile from the breakfast staff, also from the front desk and the young lady who would asked us how we enjoyed our stay at the plantation and not forgetting the night staff. They were all wonderful.

In all this a place that my husband and I would love to come back to every year. Fond Doux is our little piece of Heaven. Thank you to the staff and the owners.

• Stayed September 2013
HEAVEN AND EARTH REVIEW - MOST APPRECIATED

Dear Babytori121,

Stating that this was your second visit to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and that this place is heaven and earth, is a great compliment to all of the team and we thank you for that. We are pleased that you found everything just as you had remembered it and that all in all you had a wonderful experience.

Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is indeed a unique property unrivaled in its offerings. We have a dedicated team on board who go above and beyond to create memorable experiences for all guests and we try our best to ensure that all guests are treated like family.

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back with arms wide open.

Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne

Been to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation? Share your experiences!