I just stayed an all-inclusive week at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation with my new wife for our honeymoon. We were wowed! Upon arrival, our bags were taken and we were directed to the restaurant/bar for a welcome drink. We were greeted by the owner and some of his personal friends & family. We were made to feel as though we were long lost family- finally home. The group laughed with us for hours and became fast friends.
Our cottage (The Bamboo) was perfect. Down an immaculately kept jungle pathway, we found our cottage hidden among exotic flowers and palms. The one-bedroom had minimal furniture, including a king sized canopy bed with netting, which was both utilitarian and romantic. The bathroom was fine. High-pressure, hot water is in short bursts, and you may have to flush twice. Hey, it's the price of paradise.
There was no A/C, but with the ceiling fan and overnight rain, it wasn't necessary. Windows are louvred and there are lots of screened cutouts that let the cottage breathe with the rainforest. We really slept well, once we got used to the frogs.
We spent a lot of time on our front porch. It had a rattan table and chairs and an armoir that turned out to be our fridge (which they refilled daily with free beer). The lighting even had lights that would light up the rainforests at night. We enjoyed watching bats.
The cottage had all the essentials: coffee/maker, soaps/shampoos, a daily fresh fruit tray, and bed service. Our all-inclusive stay got us free access to some amazing food and drinks. The Jardin Cacao restaurant was like going back in time. The food was 4 star, and the atmosphere felt like we were in a 1950's James Bond film. They had nightly entertainment to fill the backgrounds of dinner, like guitarists, and steel drummers. Karaoke night was a lot of fun.
The food was a limited menu that changed every few days. Appetizers like crab cakes, and tuna salads led to entrées like king fish, grilled chicken pasta, conch, and one of the best steaks I've ever had. They also had 1 or 2 desserts to try, including plantain splits and star-fruit flambé. They also had their own chocolate ice cream. We loved everything we ate, including made-to-order eggs at the breakfast buffet.
The grounds of the plantation are well maintained and great for exploring. We enjoyed winding our way through various pathways and stumbling across beds of plantings. The property includes a path up a ridge that has a spectacular vantage point for a Pitons sunset. It's a 20 minute hike through an awesome rainforest setting, up to a rocky ridge between the Gros and Petit Pitons. I highly recommend doing this.
We did find that they turn off the pathway lights much too early. Luckily, we had flashlights to see the path back to our cottage. It seemed the lights were out by 10:30-11pm which isn't so late for people on vacation. Why not leave them on for safety's sake?
We were so impressed with the Fond Doux staff. From reception to waitresses and groundskeepers, everyone was incredibly friendly. Each employee that you came in contact with smiled, asked if there was anything you needed, and told you to enjoy yourself. They are professional yet very personal. By the end of the week, we felt as though we were saying goodbye to friends. We were so impressed with the service of each facet of the resort operation. Even our shuttle driver to the beach and airport was as friendly and accommodating as they come.
For years, I had wanted to honeymoon at LaDera, but choose Fond Doux to save some money. I can't imagine having gone anywhere else. It really is paradise. Like going back in time to an untouched paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Regatta Hotels, Orbitz, Splendia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere