We recently spent two full weeks at Fond Doux - and absolutely loved every minute! Before we arrived, there were several things we weren't quite sure about: (1) Rainy season (we visited end of July/beginning of August), (2) living in/near the rainforest, (3) how much we should believe all those other reviews.
Let's begin with (3). Those other people raving about Fond Doux are absolutely spot on (so I won't repeat any of what they wrote). As to the rainforest location, the title of my review addresses that "concern". And being there in the rainy season turned out to be great as well. Yes, there is some rain, but it never prevented us from doing anything as any given rain shower really doesn't last that long. Moreover, there are fewer tourists on the island this time of year, so the beaches are almost deserted and the staff at Fond Doux is able to give you even more of their attention (if that is possible).
Here are a few things we did within close proximity of Fond Doux:
- Dinner at Jardin Cacao Restaurant. The food is great - very nicely prepared local dishes, and the bar and bartenders, Jarette and Kendal, are also lots of fun.
- Tour of the plantation. Philip (see attached picture) was our guide, and he's been mentioned in other reviews.
- Lamontagne trail. This is right on the plantation and offers some beautiful views (see attached pictures). There's even a possibility to follow the ridge over to Tet Paul Nature Trail which offers spectacular views of the entire island.
- Snorkeling at Sugar Beach (aka Jalousie Beach). Fond Doux provides a complimentary shuttle. Other great beaches for snorkeling nearby are Soufriere Beach (Hummingbird) and Anse Chastenet - and each one of them is a little different.
- Rainforest hike to Enbas Saut Waterfall. Just a few miles outside of Soufriere near Fond St. Jacques. For that hike we needed a guide. Smith of Exciting Tours was recommended to us by Philip, and we can only pass on this recommendation. If you're interested in anything outdoorsy he's your man. He knows the island, the flora, the fauna, the culture, and he's pretty entertaining as well. You can reach him at 758-717-3172 or via his website http://climbgimie.wordpress.com.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fond Doux Plantation House and Cottages are designed to give guests the option to be as connected or sequestered in nature’s embrace as desired. The tropical setting at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation at once relaxes, enveloping you in completely natural surroundings with the unobtrusive convenience of modern amenities, attentive professional staff trained in tropical hospitality, and access to a host of convenient services. Step out of your plantation cottage or suite and into the healing arms of nature in this tropical paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Splendia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Regatta Hotels, Orbitz and Otel so you can book your Fond Doux Holiday Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation St. Lucia/Soufriere