We stayed here for 4 nights in February 2013, and thoroughly recommend this unusual and wonderful place. What really makes it different is that the owners, Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne really really care about the land and people here, and that includes all their valued guests. Unlike most resorts, the “bottom line” is not what is most important to them. Their home is in the centre of the main area, and they are dedicated to improving the 130 plus acres of land which is what they and a relative now own. It is amazing what they have been able to achieve, and income from guests and plantation tours for small outside groups is all put back into the land. They told us that the whole local community works together so that they are together self supporting, and everyone knows everyone else in a true spirit of community. The land produces many fruits and vegetables which are on the restaurant menu, and all are totally organic. Lyton told us ” We look after the land, and then it looks after us” They have 40 employees on the plantation and “resort”.
I use the word resort wishing I could think of a more suitable one. This is not your usual resort at all, but it is relaxing, comfortable, completely informal and laid back, and very friendly. The central area has 2 bamboo clean and comfortable restaurants, a small historic office and gift shop, all of which blend into the environment of narrow trails and bridges, and many plants, a cocoa processing area, and some chickens. The cottages are all very well spaced for privacy, and are spread out around pathways. Some are the authentic buildings their website mentions, some have been purpose built, but all have that historic look and appeal.
We stayed in Hillside Guava. There were 53 steps up the hill to it, and the other hillside cottages were either side, up separate paths and steps, with lots of privacy. I felt it was well worthwhile to climb up to the wonderful view of the rainforest valley below. The steps were somewhat uneven, but there was a good handrail, and an easy climb. We loved our cottage! The welcome on arrival is awesome, the welcome drink much better than anything experienced elsewhere. The bathroom was large, though there were a few plumbing issues, but everything else was so great, it did not matter. The view was right in front and clearly seen even from the comfortable king bed. The deck had comfortable seating, and again, the view. We saw no insects anywhere, including the room, which was well screened. There are no snakes in this area. There's plenty of fresh air in the room, with with windows open at night- no worries. The temperature is pleasantly cool at night.
The restaurant food was excellent and reasonably priced. ($72-91 US for 2 plus tax for 3 courses plus a glass of wine each) A full buffet breakfast, which includes lots of plantation fruit, cereal, juice, breads, or cake, sometimes yogurt, and cooked dishes and eggs is included. Eggs and omelettes are cooked to order. Lovely!
The pool area is soothing, and includes some loungers, a library and gazebo, but the water felt cold, and the pools are quite deep (1 x5ft, 1 x9ft, and one unlabelled, but it looked deep. They were little used, and as they are small would have been difficult to swim in.
Stay here, you won’t regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, T4B, Regatta Hotels, Splendia and Priceline so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere