“Unique experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crystals

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals
You added Crystals to your Saves list
Columbette, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
London, United Kingdom
“Unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have had a very unique experience when visiting the crystal hotel, Monica and Martin were very friendly and went through great lengths to make every day memorable. I stayed in the mango room which was breath taking. This hotel is very Eco friendly and I loved how they incorporated nature to create objects such as the rock walls and rock showers etc.The entertainment and food was at its highest standards and plenty of variety was given. I would highly recommend you give crystal a try when visiting st.Lucia. Thank you everyone see you all next year xx

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I have been to St lucia three times and refuse to stay anywhere else. the owners Monica and Martin have definitely become friends; such gracious and entertaining hosts. The property is amazing and a must-visit for all nature loving people who appreciate stunning views.

The rooms are all cleverly constructed works of art. i guarantee you'll have an album full of photos.

See you next year CRYSTALS!!!

Room Tip: they're all amazing! Mango and Papaya: favorites for sure.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles3, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
The pleasure was all ours to have you back here with us at Crystals and thank you for the kind review .

Being a small property we get to know all our Guests so unlike a large property who have endless Guests who send in reviews , we know each Guest by name and value each comment made and try our best to make each visit a special one, to the point we so have rather a lot of wonderful repeat Guests like you, this is a real pleasure.

We have just upgraded again Mango and Papaya so it was rather fortunate you managed to stay a few night in both.

We hope to have our gardens completed and opened by your next visit!

I wish you both well and I hope to see you in 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

stayed here a few years ago and said we would return one day.
a pleasure to be back, small property great service amazing views awesome hosts, great food and staff,and what we like most is it is different.

Room Tip: mango we love great views and very large good pool
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles3, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Ramsey and Jill
I would like to thank you for your very kind review and appreciate that you took the time to send in a review as I know that once back at work you have very little time.
I wish you both well and hope you will return for another visit with us soon at Crystals
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Crystals was the perfect choice for our honeymoon. The resort was beautiful and unique and the location was magnificent. Martin and Monica and their staff made our stay absolutely perfect! Not to mention that the price was great for how we were treated and the magnificent breakfast and the private pool and the gorgeous, large rooms We loved being in the town of Soufriere. It had a very local feel. In fact, we mostly ate in local places and were met with great food at reasonable prices. I would absolutely recommend St. Lucia, Soufriere, and Crystals to anyone whether traveling solo, as a family, or as a couple!

Charles3, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank You for taking your time to write a review. Also for the lovely photos.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so we try to make it special, something that would leave you overly satisfied. With that in mind we put together this mix of local fruits , pastries, eggs and other delicacy's.

Soufriere is the heart of St.Lucia, blessed with god given beauty and a homey feel. I am quite pleased to know that your indulgence in our island and culture has made you contented

We do hope you come visit us again.
Blessing to you both
Monica & Martin
Milford, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I never write reviews, but I think everyone should know about this hidden gem in St. Lucia. First of all Monica and Martin are excellent hosts and are great fun to visit. We stayed at the Papaya cottage which was very spacious, nicely decorated and with incredible views. The cottages are around 1800 feet above sea level and even in June it stays at a nice climate with a great breeze. We had our own private plunge pool, hammock and lounge chairs. The cottages are about 5-7 min. drive from Soufriere. The Soufriere area is the most picturesque part of the island. Don't let the dirt road scare you away, it is only to keep this place a secret. It is on the edge of the rainforest with naturally growing mango trees, coconut, plantain and banana trees on the property.
Our trip began with Benny (Monica recommended for jeep rental) picking us up at the airport and driving us to Crystals, where our car was waiting. I found it greatly advantageous to rent a car, as it is very easy to drive around the area (even on the other side of the road for us Americans). There was champagne in the refrigerator and we picked up some Piton beer on the way up. Every night (excluding Sun.) there is a great happy hour from 6-7:30 with dinners a couple times a week. There are other great restaurants nearby, but I would hit Monica's dinner (She's a great cook with everything grown on the property). We found the other guests to be great fun to be with and always enjoyed Martin's musical talent. Monica set up our scuba diving ahead of time, gave great recommendations on things to do and see and even set up a day sailing trip for the 8 of us staying there with only 1 days notice. By the way we didn't know anyone ahead of time, but the anther guests were very nice and fun to be with. We did everything from mud baths, hiking Gros Piton, sailing, snorkeling, scuba diving and just hanging out with a drink on the deck. It doesn't get any better in my opinion.
My wife and I stayed at Crystals for 5 nights and the Windjammer for 2 nights. It was nice to relax by the beach for a couple days at the Windjammer, but you definitely need to check out Crystals for the majority of your trip. Monica and Martin, thank you for making our trip awesome. You have the most unique, beautiful and romantic accommodations around. We look forward to coming back again!

Rob and Jill

Room Tip: For couples you can't beat Papaya and the Calabash
, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write in a review.(love the photos, Hazel but of course She would get in a photo)
It is wonderful that you understand our concept here at Crystals, not wanting to be like any other property so no visual sign post , hidden away up a winding bumpy road amongst an abundance of trees and flowers.
Of course urging potential Guests to let us arrange a taxi or Jeep rental for them(we as you know get the best rates for our Guests anyway) plus all our drivers have 4x4.
At last Martin has finished the new office, just paint left to go on and hope to have the opening in a couple of weeks..........yippee more champagne to consume
The newly constructed bathroom for Mango should be finished in a couple of weeks as stone work takes for ever plus all the stops for eating all the ripe mangos on the tree out side the door!
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us here and will return soon , it will be a real pleasure to see you back.
Blessing to you both
Martin, Monica and all the staff at Crystals
Keego Harbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Seriously, I have never given an online review before but I wanted to make sure to strongly recommend staying at the Crystals to anyone who might be thinking about it!

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Crystals! Our stay in the Calabash room was the highlight of our honeymoon! The Hospitality of Monica and Charles is fantastic! I will never forget how great breakfast, occasional dinners and the famous cocktail hours were! Not to mention the breathtaking rooms, furniture and views!

If you love something different & adventurous but still elegant and plush then stay here! There is no better value in St. Lucia!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! Each one is unique!
, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
I would like to than you for the very kind review and am happy to hear you had a wonderful honeymoon.
I hope you will come back and visit us again soon perhaps for an anniversary visit !
Blessings to you both and again thank you
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The first thing you notice about Crystals is the lack of a signpost, and the next is the incredibly poor condition of the 'road' up to the hotel. A bit challenging if you hire a car. But the next is much more positive: our room was huge, more like a lodge, with the bedroom upstairs featuring a huge four-poster bed. And then there was the view of the Pitons: truly spectacular. Outside our room - Sugar Cane - we had a small pool and 2 sunbeds (weird folding ones which were surprisingly comfy once you'd worked out how to recline in them, though you can't really lie on your front), with an unobstructed view of the twin peaks and a partial sea view. Monica, the owner, was very friendly and answered all our questions, though we were disappointed to learn (we had booked in haste and hadn't really read anything about it) that they only operate the restaurant a few nights a week (plus it's a communal experience which isn't really our thing) and we had just missed it. So we had to get a pricey ($20 for 5 mins ride!) cab into town to eat 2 nights running. On one day the weather was a bit lousy and we discovered another slight issue: there isn't really anywhere to hang out but in your room, which in our case on a stormy day was a bit dark even with the lights on. There is a central area but it's basically dead (other than the free cocktail happy hour which was a nice touch). One other bugbear: the breakfast was the same each morning and we were pretty disapponted with it (fruit, cold pancakes, nothing hot). Plus no juice was offered until we asked, and we had no idea how to work the coffee machine (yes, I could have asked). Not good for the price of the room. I think you need a car really, otherwise you are reliant on taxis that take ages to come and are pricey (though to be fair if you get up early the owner will drop you in town). I feel like I'm being a bit picky because the room and view were really exceptional, but it just didn't quite work for us personally. I got the sense from the others that we were in a minority on that. If you like a small, intimate, slightly bohemian place where the owner loves nothing more than a good natter, this is for you. But we still had a relaxing time and highly recommend the water taxi from Soufriere to Jalousie beach.

Charles3, Owner at Crystals, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
I so agree with most of the review and appreciate the feed back i would like to point out that the terrible public road is mentioned not only on My website and e-mails to Guests but by several TA review.
In fact I think I should get an award for having probably the worst road in St Lucia,that is why I write to all My Guests that the road is bad so i can arrange a 4x4 jeep rental or a 4x4 taxi to pick you up and if they take a jeep rental the airport transfers are complimentary,however at odd times you get in a year perhaps one person turning up in a small car or taxi and paying double
and rather upset..
Sign .....we have never had a sign for Crystals keeping Crystals hidden from the general public and open for My Guests only and as 99% of My Guests I do arrange a taxi or jeep rental for them this is not an issue,plus I have to say the word safe, we have never had a break in or any other problem with vendors up here due to the fact they have no idea where Crystals is, plus no one even locks a door here including our bar door, so this is well worth the horrid road and no sign

I soooo agree with the talk part I give out way over the top information, you ask for example where is a water fall i will indicate several and in great details, yes i do rather talk a lot must be the Irish in me....what do they say the gift of the gab .

Breakfast well now this one is rather odd as you can read all the review everyone raves about our breakfast that must have been a fluke cold pancakes as a rule they are hot so i do apologise i will mention this to the kitchen to take care, the breakfast does change every day for example today one has our infamous coconut pancakes, coconut cake, fried plantains , eggs, fresh fruit plate, bakes home-made bread home made jam and butter, the breakfast is complimentary with the room rate and delivered to your door at any time you should so wish.

Restaurant is open on reservation as is indicated on our site in the room directory and verbally on arrival, one just have to book the day before, we do on average dinner 3 times a week so if one is staying for a couple of days one should book before as indicated on our website and at the bottom on every e-mail,and yes we do have several tables in our restaurant but do have two large tables where I personally inform Guests would you all like to sit together as everyone does in fact in 6 years I have never had anyone who wanted just to sit on their own, perhaps Crystals is a bit to friendly for some persons like yourselves and I totally understand here we intend to welcome all our guests like family, its so hard I have to say to be formal for us here so if you would like just to be a room number and sit on your own in a corner and would rather find out all the information about Soufriere on your own then perhaps I agree another property would have be better, again thank you for this information I will make sure that My Guests do not say yes but are really disappointed, this is a bit of a hard one as most of the time they all want to sit together I think as everyone gets to know each other at happy hour.

Sugar Cane... cottage is indicated as being dark well i have to say it is far from it having windows six in total and two double French glass doors BUT I have to say it was horrid wet damp and rain while you were on property so it sure could have been dark, in fact all the property was dark having no sun, nice to know you enjoyed our cottage and appreciated its charm and views and it is far better to be in a nice cottage with amazing views and a kitchen on a horrid day than stuck in a hotel room.

I appreciate the time you took to send in this review and I hope the rest of 2012 is a good one

Been to Crystals? Share your experiences!