“Great Honeymoon Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Kingsley, Michigan
“Great Honeymoon Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We traveled to Boucan the week of May 28th-June 4th and couldn't have asked for a more intimate honeymoon location.

The food was out of this world! Every dish had cocoa included it it, whether it was quite blatant or more subtle, the dishes were stupendous.

The rooms were beautifully arranged with amazing amenities and a very comfy bed. The bathrooms were large with an outrageous shower that can only be describe as "the Best EVER". Every day they would restock the snacks and water in the room and also give the room a nice cleaning which was great. For me, the fact that they use solar power and reuse the water after cleaning it makes it a very responsible resort as well.

The rest of the resort was perfectly maintained with the pool area being big enough for people to not have to sit right on top of one another but also small enough to where you weren't walking a mile to get to the pool or bar. The addition of free games at strategic locations throughout the resort made a relaxing night even better.

The excursions offered through the resort are great as they don't always fill up allowing you some alone time. Which is what happened during the sunset cruise that we took. The boat staff was fun and kept everyone on the edge of their seat with what Tupac or Notorious B.I.G song they would play next!

On a side note, if you get a chance to climb Gros Piton, DO IT! It is well worth the stress and exertion just to get to the top and have that view.

The staff was warm and welcoming, always helpful not matter how many questions you ask them. Some previous reviews discuss the slow pace for getting things or meal service, but what they fail to comprehend is that you are on "Island Time" and you should take time to enjoy where you are and understand that everything is "Irie".

Finally, this resort should really be for those couples that just want to spend time together and not have to worry about the rest of the world. You can go to a Sandals or a larger resort on any other island, but when you are in such a beautiful place like St. Lucia, why not stay at a place where the intimacy to one another and the environment makes everything perfect.

Room Tip: If you are coming for a special event or celebration, mention this in an email to their staff as the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Judy B, Head of Guest Relations at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you, you captured the hide-away/escapist feeling we try to offer, particularly for honeymoon guests. A big thanks too for mentioning our environmental work.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Chocolat; the accommodations were very comfortable, the food was excellent and the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. We also had great experiences on the tours that we booked through the concierge (especially with staff on the Hotel's boat for the snorkeling expedition, on the cocoa plantation tour, at the spa and the taxi drivers in the hotel's pool) and in general our stay was everything we hoped it would be. Over our time there it became clear that the hotel staff and management are also committed to providing guests with complete satisfaction on a daily basis.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge rooms, and they were very nice. The rain showers are great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We are indeed a committed team and dedicated to complete satisfaction. Your review is very appreciated, thank you.
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel is in a beautiful location and everything about it was great. The staff are very friendly and are willing to make any kind of reservations for you. We stayed in one of the regular lodges, not the luxe lodge but just a visit to the restaurant or pool will give you the same view for less cost. I would suggest exploring the estate and doing the Tree to Bar tour, it was very interesting. The food in the restaurant is very fine dining, and can get a bit pricey if you eat there every night but it was delicious. The cacao infused menu is something that chocolate lovers will die for, but it can become a little repetitive so I would suggest going out and finding other restaurants in Soufriere to change it up. It was about a 40 minute drive from the airport and all the attractions in Soufriere are just a short cab drive away, such as the beaches, sulfur springs, botanical gardens, and the town. The terrain is very mountainous and there is a lot of travel by boat. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We chose to stay 5 nights at Boucan and hold our wedding ceremony on the estate. My husband and our guests agree that we couldn't have chosen a better spot for our nuptials. We found the grounds easy to navigate, perfect for our mixed group of couples, friends, and family, and still romantic and secluded enough for us, the newlyweds.

The estate itself is extremely interesting - to hear the sustainability plan the owners have is quite impressive - my only regret of the entire trip is that we didn't make time for the Tree to Bean tour to hear more details. Our group did quite a bit of walking/easy hiking on the Rabot Estate, following the marked trails and also visiting the sulphur springs and volcano about a mile away by foot. The overall feel of the hotel is natural and modern - it's clear the owners and architect took great care to integrate a sustainable design into the landscape - there is nothing kitschy or wasteful about Boucan. The rooms and restaurant are open air, and we thoroughly enjoyed the view of the Pitons from every spot. If you choose to get married on St Lucia as we did, you cannot go wrong with the view provided during the ceremony, and working with Judy was a delight.

As far as food, the restaurant certainly exceeded our expectations. My husband was concerned we'd be overwhelmed with chocolate for the entire stay, but we found it to be complimentary, when we could tell there was a chocolate element at all. The breakfast was seriously to die for. I have never eaten that well in all my life before 11am... smoothies, fresh fruit, jams, coconut milk, eggs, even porridge... it was amazing. Overall the food was fresh and well thought out and at worst, delicious every time. We ate at two other high-end resorts/restaurants and I honestly wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with Boucan's offerings. Both the chocolate tastings in the dessert menu blew our minds. We did notice that eating at the restaurant took time; we chalked this up to 'island time' and the effort and preparation required of our meals, and weren't upset to enjoy the view and our vacation (this was also the case for us at Ladera's restaurant and Jade Mountain).

Between guest relations and the rest of the staff, we were so well taken care of that even three weeks later my in-laws are exclaiming over how wonderful the hotel service was. The staff was happy to arrange cars, tours, help answer any questions, and was always friendly and greeting us. If we had issues with logistics, they always had an answer. I do have to mention 'Macgyver', who picked us up at the airport, stocked with cool, minty towels and plenty of Piton beer for the ride, and Capt. Kirk and Sean, who took us on the sunset cruise the last day of our visit and seemed to have just as much fun as we did, dancing and sharing knowledge of the island.

We did a few activities that I consider a 'must' on the island, which can be arranged by Boucan. We walked to the sulfur springs the morning of the wedding (we also arranged a van for the less able), and highly recommend visiting the visitor center and taking the volcano tour, as the tour guides were incredibly knowledgeable. We also went out on the sunset cruise on our last evening on the island and felt Sean and Capt. Kirk had the best jobs in the world. We did visit the beach one day, situated on a small cove between the two peaks - if you don't want to pay for a lounger, you're unfortunately banished to an area of the beach that isn't as nice. The snorkeling was worth a visit, but otherwise, the infinity pool at Boucan was just as fitting for our desire to be near water. We also visited the spa for massages, which I would also recommend - both technicians we saw at the spa were wonderful and knew very well what they were doing.

A few things to note: the rooms are open air, which means you will have visitors, geckos and some birds. While we had no issues, the rooms are also provided with mosquito netting, a wardrobe, and shutters if necessary. The geckos especially tended to make themselves known in our bathroom/shower and the staff did an excellent job of cleaning up after them. It was off-putting for the first day only. Also, while the surroundings at the hotel do a good job of buffering noise, as everything is open, you will hear the restaurant/road/guests/birds/etc. I never felt that our privacy was compromised, and never felt that the hotel was 'loud', just simply part of the natural landscape. I was awoken every morning by sun, rain, or birds chirping and although ear plugs were provided, we never used them. Every morning I woke up refreshed, made some coffee, nibbled on the treats the staff kept stocked, and took in the view before heading to breakfast... I would be happy to wake like that every morning!

We would absolutely recommend Boucan and hope to stay there again for a future anniversary. Many thanks to Judy and the team who made everything run smoothly during the ceremony and the rest of our stay. We couldn't have asked for a better wedding and vacation!

Room Tip: Size and view are the benefits of the Luxe lodge, while the lower lodges have minimal view of the Pi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Wow, what a lovely and observant review. In particular, thanks for the words about the architect of our natural design - Phil Buckley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week-long honeymoon at Boucan.

We very much enjoyed ourselves, and loved the solitude and quiet of the hotel. There are only 14 lodges, and they are all separate, which meant that you had 28 possible people staying at the hotel at one time.

We booked the honeymoon package, which included upgrade to Luxe Lodge, travel to & from airport, 2 massages, a sunset cruise, full board at the restaurant, $50 beverage credit daily, breakfast in bed the first day, bottle of bubbly in the room at arrival, and a private dinner by the pool one night.

We did a lot of things last week, so I thought I'd go through the pros and cons of each.

Lodging: Luxe Lodge
Pros: Beautiful views, nice shower, porch for relaxing privately, open air, so the breeze cooled off quite a bit in the evening. I loved the cookies each day.
Cons: The late afternoon sun really warmed up the room, and the fan isn't very strong, so we learned to close the room off from the porch around 2 pm and leave it closed until after the sun set, which mitigated some of the heat. Again, they're open air, and there are about 3 feet between lodges. There were quite a few honeymooners, and sound tended to carry.

Food/Board:
Pros: Wow, what a breakfast! I loved the fruit medley, yogurt smoothie, and daily juice each day. I tended to go a bit lighter by the end of the week by not having the bacon, yogurt, or the porridge, but still having eggs, toast, and those delightful banana/chocolate muffins. The breakfast definitely set you up for the day.
Lunch was always good. By the end of the week, even though we were on full board, I was only ordering one course since there's so much food!
Dinner was great every evening. The amuse bouche and palate cleansing sorbet were a wonderful touch!
Cons: Sometimes, I did wish that there were some options without chocolate, as I was becoming a bit choco-ed out.There are some options that are fresher, like the tuna & dorado tartare that I would suggest when you're feeling a bit fatigued.

Services: Spa & concierge
Pros: The massage & mani-pedi I got at the beginning of the week were great. The manicure is still going strong, and I'm very hard on my nails. My husband liked his massage so much that he booked a second one before we left. The front desk was able to help with booking taxis and making other restaurant reservations (which we had two nights since we were off full board for 2 of the 7 days).
Cons: We had a mix-up on a taxi we'd scheduled the night before we left to go to a restaurant. Another couple had made the same plans, then cancelled, and our plans accidentally got cancelled as well. There were also some things that I was surprised the front desk didn't have on hand, like a small store of essentials since the pharmacy was not nearby. There was no way to get sunscreen or minor medical remedies like pepto or antacids. So if you think you might need it while you're there, bring more than necessary, because you might not be able to get to Soufriere while the shops are open.

Experiences: Beach & Excursions
Pros: The ability to go to Sugar Beach was great. We went down 2 days and rented loungers for $50 a pop from the Viceroy. There are some free ones, but we were there for our honeymoon and the loungers are worth it for the view, umbrella, and service. We also really enjoyed the zipline tour that's just down the road. The food sent on the Underwater Explorer was very tasty. I enjoyed it. The Tree to Bean & Bean to Bar experiences were GREAT! I loved learning so much about the way that cocoa is grown and how chocolate is made. One of my favorite experiences of the week!
Cons: We had scheduled the Underwater Explorer for the Tuesday we were there, and we only found out that we were taking the water taxi all day when we got down to Soufriere to shuttle the beachgoers to Sugar Beach and then go off to a few different snorkeling locations. Apparently the Boucannier was in dry dock being fixed, so they replaced it with a small water taxi with benches. Color me not-impressed. I would have requested to use an outside vendor if I'd have known. The snorkeling was good, and it was nice to see the different Anse on the coast, but it was my first time snorkeling, and there wasn't much instruction on what fish to expect and what the different coral looked like. Since I'd seen that the larger Boucannier II boat was in port, I expected the group of 4 couples to take that on the Sunset Cruise on Thursday, so I took a note from the description and wore a dress. Nope. Water Taxi. I got soaked, the boat rocked in the wind and waves, and we were all cramped. Again, I was rather disappointed, but I tried really hard to hide my disappointment from the other couples and just enjoy what I could and soak in the views, but I felt like it was a waste of time and money, and it put me in a bad mood that I really didn't want to be on on my honeymoon. So take a note from me and be sure to confirm what vessel you'll be on BEFORE you book your water excursions, and if it's not going to be the Boucannier, book independently through another provider. It's not worth the disappointment when you're on a vacation that you've looked forward to for 9 months to be on a tiny water taxi.

Pool:
Pros: Gorgeous views, cool water, board & tabletop games, books, and a mix of shaded and full-sun lounging.
Cons: Service at the bar downstairs is spotty, especially in the mid-afternoon. If you want something to drink, you'd be better to go upstairs and order from the main bar.

Summary: All in all, it was a great vacation, and beautiful hotel with a delicious restaurant, but I was disappointed in a few service aspects. If we'd have been just lodging, and arranged meals and excursions on our own, I probably would have given it more stars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind words and we have certainly taken note of the points that you have made.
Lake Ridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We were staying at a nearby resort and they recommended Hotel Chocolate as a nice romantic option for us, which we definitely found it to be. They also advised that we would absolutely, positively HAVE to have reservations as this is a popular place. This seems to be pretty well known in the area, but I saw several online reviews bemoaning that they showed up unannounced with a large group and could not be accommodated... If you just make reservations you will be fine, we even showed up early for ours and they seated us right away.

It does seem to be on many peoples list of places to go, so you might want to make reservations through your hotel/resort before you arrive in St. Lucia to make sure you can get a table on the desired time and date. The night we had originally intended to go was fully booked two days out.

Probably partly because the place is not packed wall to wall, it was very chic, enjoyable and romantic. Our food was very good, and I think they did a creative job of incorporating chocolate into almost every dish. The staff was nice, the food was fresh and everything was very well done.

The menu is pretty pricey for St. Lucia, but comparable places I have been in the US would cost about double, so it is really relative. By the time I left, I felt like I was going to fall into a sugar coma, so although this was a great experience I would probably not eat there multiple times on a trip. It was a very cool place, though, and I am glad we got to experience eating there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed and, yes, reservations essential please
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The food was fabulous .... It easily equaled the good st the Laderra where we stayed . Location was perfect and views to for for. .... The restaurant was beautifully laid out but the servicd could have been better

• Stayed May 2014
Thanks.

Been to Boucan by Hotel Chocolat? Share your experiences!