“Our magical dream wedding at Hotel Chocolat - the Boucan - out of this world !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boucan by Hotel Chocolat

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Boucan by Hotel Chocolat
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rabot Estate | P.O. Box 312, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Soufriere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Omg - where do we start?
Our wedding was everything we could have wished for and more. The welsh crew arrive on this beautiful island with Welsh kilts, cloggins and and a heavily decorated wedding gown !
For a wedding, anniversary or birthday this is a truly magical beautiful place -

Thank you Judy and Lorna for making our dreams come true !
Including sourcing a violinist and cello player - for our special day (pearl and yanick ) and beautiful flowers, and a stunning location for our wedding ceremony.

Nothing was too much trouble -
The views and hotel and rooms are amazing !
Staff are very friendly and helpful - the food is to die for and the duck dish and Aberdeen fillet steak was out of this world -
Don't even get me started on the desserts it's the closest thing to heaven .

The tours - tree to bar with culthbert was fabulous a very knowledgable man -
If your fit, walk the gros piton it's a great morning out - the sulphur springs and mud bath is mad fun - and the sugar beach is pretty with a great snorkelling area.
Whispers bar has great food and friendly locals a true st Lucian experience ! With a BBQ on Friday nights for $20 is well worth it ! -
the Boucan- hotel chocolat is a relaxed place with one of the best views in the island.
Would we visit again ? most definitely - we plan to visit our coca trees And show off our wedding album. A great excuse to come back -
Ignore any stuffy reviews or bad comments - this is far better than sandals etc - a truly, unique boutique hotel !

Two observations I would like to see a matre d - with extensive wine knowledge - more choices of wines. - ie lighter calafornia wines rose and white for lunch plus more Spanish rjoca's and Italian wines - that would go with the meals available on the menu.
plus a Carribean dish on the menu to give a creole twist but of course with chocolate !

Thank you once again from Samantha and Dillon x

From a photographers point of view- it was a dream location due to the textures, styles and architecture there.

• Stayed May 2013
Judy B, Head of Guest Relations at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Our ridge site is the best view of the ‘8th wonder of the world’ and a dramatic place to take your marriage vows, Welsh style or any style! Best wishes from us all.

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stylish design hotel, fantastic staff, outstanding food & breath-taking views; highly recommended.

Set in the ethically-minded Hotel Chocolat cocao hillside plantation, this intimate, relaxing hotel is 20-30mins drive from the nearest beach (Jalouise) but in an idyllic location. Quiet, bar the soothing forest sounds, it may almost be too remote for some for fortnight stays but is absolutely on the money for shorter breaks. Food is first class: healthy, well-presented & unbelievably tasty. The chocolate inspired theme works surprisingly & incredibly well although those less sweet-toothed may prefer to ask for some of the dressings etc on the side (I.e. white chocolate dressing with salad). Service faultless and always genuinely friendly.

My new favourite hotel ever; will definitely return! Thank you guys.

• Stayed May 2013
“Healthy well-presented and unbelievably tasty”- we all loved this description of our Boucan cuisine, thank you!! Looking forward to your return visit already.
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to stay here for a week: we experienced the many wonders of the Boucan restaurant & enjoyed it all + many of the tours & learnt so much about the Rabot Estate and cacao growth/production.
We savoured pure luxury & indulgence & had the week of our lives......topped off by our Wedding Day; celebrated in the most perfect setting :)
Many thanks to everyone who made this an incredible time & the holiday of a lifetime....we are now saving to return & hope to celebrate our 5th anniversary here!

• Stayed April 2013
We were privileged to host you for such an important event and look forward to helping you celebrate your 5th Wedding Anniversary too!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I dined at Hotel Chocolat Thursday May 9. We had dinner with another couple. The food was quite good. I had an excellent steak, and my wife had a great chicken curry. We had dinner at 7pm, which is not too late, but by the time we arrived they were already out of the mid-priced champagne and the pasta dish. We drank an excellent Rose instead and my wife greatly enjoyed the chicken curry. I will say service was only average. I understand this is St. Lucia, but I also know Hotel Chocolat is trying to cater and provide excellent service. I hope the water servers can pay better attention in the future as water glasses went empty for periods of time. The waiter and manager seemed to have a problem splitting a check. Two couples and it took 30 minutes to split the check. Even when the server came back with the split check, I was not billed for my steak. I did point it out and it was added to my bill. I would advise future guests to make sure to mention you are splitting the bill, and I would hope the staff could split a bill much quicker in the future. It was great food, great ambiance and I would do it all over again even with the less than stellar service. I hope others go and that the staff would see this as positive criticism so they may improve.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
All comments taken positively, thank you. Thanks also for the ‘great food, great ambience’ rating.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were staying nearby so visited Hotel Chocolat for the 'Tree to Bar' tour. It was excellent, harvesting your own cocoa pod, learning all about the plantation and the great work that is going on all over St Lucia and planting your own tree. We saw every stage of the process from tree to cocoa nibs and were then able to make our own bar of chocolate, hard work (grinding!) but totally worth it. We had a chocolate cocktail whilst waiting for our bars to set. A great way to spend a morning cannot recommend it enough and we'll certainly try to come back to stay here and visit our trees!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sounds like chocolate will never be the same again for you,! Lovely comments, thanks
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

HOnestly--Usually when I find something this wonderful, this marvelous, this magical--I keep it to myself. There are, after all, only fourteen "lodges" at Hotel Chocolat (even writing the name makes me happy again) and when I go to book, I don't want to find that YOU have my room. But I am making an exception--This is truly the most amazing hotel experience I have ever had. We had the opportunity to stay in both types of accommodations, and each is fabulous in its own way. Huge, open air showers with giant shower heads make you feel as if you have your own in-room spa--crisp, cool, hi-thread count cotton sheets cover beds so comfy you will have difficulty leaving--high functioning mosquito nets hang from four posters and allow you to Fully enjoy the exoticism of falling asleep with the breath and sounds of the jungle all around you--all the beasties can sing you a lullaby without you worrying about looking like Quasimodo in the morning from all the bites--you will have none. Every room shares these qualities, along with tasteful, chic, hip decor--The photos don't do the place justice, it is much lovelier than I expected (and my expectations were high). The more expensive "Luxe Lodges" are larger, have a private sun deck and lounge chairs, and views that I can only describe as wondrous. You will not want to leave your room--but thankfully, the wonderful staff at Boucan is happy to bring you something delicious for breakfast, lunch and dinner, if you so desire. I'm not entirely sure I haven't dreamt the whole thing--It really was too perfect, including the gracious and professional staff that does their best to make you feel like the most important person they have ever had the pleasure of assisting. Bang for the buck, I would stay in the smaller lodges (which are still huge) as the view can be had from the restaurant, as well as the "Club Boucan"--another marvel, with its sleek, cool lap pool, hip bar, and intimate sun deck. If you have ever had a fantasy of living like a rock star--Hotel Chocolat will fulfill that for you. Intimate, serene, completely surrounded by nature, yet totally luxurious--If this appeals to you, then there is really no other place to stay on St. Lucia.

Room Tip: They are all amazing, but the best view of the Luxe Lodges is (perhaps) from rooms 7 & 8.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
My goodness. What beautiful words… truly humbled and motivated to keep getting better every day!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We visited St. Lucia for the first time in April 2013.
We stayed at Hotel Chocolat during the second part of our trip.
It was a very unique experience and we had a wonderful time.

Things we loved about our stay:

- Very new and modern design that is chic and blends indoor and outdoor space seamlessly.
- The hotel is also a working cacao plantation which offers nice walking trails and activities related to chocolate making.
- The manager Judy was extremely helpful and made our stay less stressful and booked our tour activities with efficiency.
- The hotel utilizes taxi service companies that uses modern cars and professional drivers. Both cars and drivers for our tours and airport transfers were top notch.
- The infinity pool looking towards the Petit Piton was one of the best hotel pools I have swam in. Great design and location.
- The food at the Boucan Restaurant was amazing. The taste and presentation is top notch. In addition, tips are not requested or added automatically onto your bill. They clearly state that their employees are paid a full wage and any gratuities is voluntary and for exceptional service only.
- We took the mud bath tour and visited one of the waterfalls; it was a fun experience but not sure it was worth $75 (US) per person.
- We also did the estate tour of the cocoa plantation and made our own chocolate bars - it was a unique and fun experience and we learned quite a bit about cocoa and how much hard work it goes into chocolate making.
- We loved the big bathroom (the size of some NYC studio apartments!) and the big open design.
- We loved the music and playlist on the ipod and we had music playing most of the time except at night. I would love to get the playlist, it was a great combination of different genres.
- The cookies and the nuts were lovely; we did not drink the prosecco and the rum punch.
- We also did two of the self guided hikes on the estate, one on the top near a house brought us to an amazing view of the two Pitons and the other brought us to a tiny lake. I would definitely recommend the first one.

Some things to keep in mind when booking this hotel:

- The hotel is not located next to a beach, if beach activity is your main objective, then this is not the hotel for you. Though there is a shuttle bus that brings you to a local beach. We stayed at another hotel for three days that had a wonderful beach prior to staying at the Hotel Chocolat, so beach activity was not high on our priority list, which worked out well for us.
- The lodges are not totally enclosed. This means that insects and critters of all sorts can easily wander into your room and there's nothing you can do about it. If you don't like bugs, then the lodges are not for you.
- Since it's one big open room with some dividing walls, you can hear everything such as bathroom activities, etc in the room. If you need a lot of privacy, this lodge set up might not be ideal for you.

Things that could use improvement in our opinion:

- WiFi only works in the main building and the signal does not reach the Luxe Lodges. We were very disappointed that the Luxe Lodges did not have WiFi signals which we were expecting that it should have. As soon as we left the main building/restaurant the wifi signal cut off.
- The granite slabs walkways can be very slippery when wet and can be dangerous when combined with areas that are not lit very well at night.
- Specifically, the stairs leading directly to the Luxe Lodges (we stayed in #9) are not lit at night and guests can trip on the stairs.
- Hotel and restaurant service level is not consistent. During check in, we arrived earlier than the hotel's stated 3pm official check in time. We were told that we could go to our rooms in 30 minutes, after that time, we were told it would be another 15 minutes, after that time, we were again told it would be another 15 minutes. It would be better if they set the right expectation and informed us that it would be an hour before we can access the rooms rather than be disappointed several times about the delays. The wait took on more frustration because we already had an awful two hour ride to the hotel from the northern tip of the island and we just wanted to go to our room to unwind. In addition, one night, we had dinner at the Boucan restaurant, though we were not told to make reservations, we arrived just after 7pm. We were told that we could be seated in 15 minutes and that we should have a drink in the meantime. After 35 minutes, we were still not seated even after other guests that arrived after us were seated. All told, it took about an hour to wait for a table when we were initially told that it will be 15 minutes. Again, if we were told to wait an hour, then at least we have the right expectation in mind about the wait time and not be disappointed.
- We only had ice in our room the day we checked in and after that it was never refilled as it said it would be refilled at dusk every day.
- We liked the REN products in the bathroom, but my husband uses traditional soap and he would have liked to have that option as well.
- Having the front desk/reception of the hotel in the same space where the restaurant front desk is, was a bit confusing to us - we were never sure who was supposed to be hotel staff and who was working for the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabulous comments, much appreciated.
Glad to say that WIFI now boosted so available all over the hotel powerfully.
Lighting along paths has been further boosted too.
Service point taken and addressed too.
Thanks again.

Been to Boucan by Hotel Chocolat? Share your experiences!