“Stonefield Estate” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
DC
“Stonefield Estate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We recently stayed at Stonefield Estate over the Xmas holiday. It really is a beautiful, rustic place. It's set on a hillside in a rain forest with a view of one of the Pitons and the ocean. It's very private and the view is stunning. Our villa had a deck and a hammock with a plunge pool next to it. It was very tranquil and we had a momma cat and three little kittens who greeted us daily. I guess I should say they "adopted" us and we fed them daily. They were adorable. I'd give the view a 5, the outdoor area a 4 (it was a bit worn, but fine), the inside is quite spacious, but about what I'd expect from a 3.5 star hotel as the sheets and towels are a bit thin, but again just fine. Don't expert super luxury, it's more rustic, tranquil, and beautiful. It's a great romantic get away. A few things you should know before you go to St. Lucia...this hotel is somewhat isolated. We were VERY happy to have a car. You will be driving on the left side of the road, Brit style, but we adapted quickly. It takes about 50 minutes to get from the Vieux Fort airport to the hotel. The roads are quite winding and sometimes steep, but don't let it put you off. We got around easily, though a few times I had to drop the car into low gear to make it up some of the hills. No, you don't need a four wheel drive. It would have been nice to have, but not a necessity. As for food, the restaurant at the hotel is mediocre and overpriced, but not more so than anywhere else we visited. The breakfast is included and good. We visited Ladera for dinner one night and it was pretty good, but not truly great (you may need reservations). If you take a right out of Stonefield and then take the first left, you'll enter the parking lot of a plantation. They have a buffet (lunch only, I think) for $25 for two people. It's basic, but fine and a good value for the island. They also have a zip line course which is fun. Honestly, I'd probably pack some snacks/favorite coffee if I went to St. Lucia again. I'm an adventurous eater, but some good cheese and good coffee would have been a treat. The market in town was a bit sparse. Surprisingly, we had trouble finding simple, fresh food. If you take a right out of Stonefield and take the first right, you'll be on the road which takes you to Jalousie (about 3 miles in). At Jalousie you can enjoy their beach; the water was wonderful for swimming, warm and clear. Lunch at Jalousie was again overpriced, but decent. The drinks were very good. If we had kids it might have been better to stay at Jalousie because there are a lot of beach activities for them. This is not to say Jalousie is overrun with kids, it is not. There was maybe 1 child for every 1 adult and all was fairly subdued. The thing that put me off Jalousie was the drivers. When you go you have to park in a lot at the top of the hill and then they ferry you down in a four wheel vehicle. Almost every driver had an attitude like they were doing us and enormous favor as we weren't guests of the hotel but the "rabble" they had to cart around! I was somewhat irritated by this as we were spending about $100/day at Jalousie on drinks and food. That should be worth an attitude free trip up the hill. As for tours....if you drive down to the Soufriere waterfront (about a 10 minute trip), you'll find Mystic Man Tours at the far end by the police station. We did a beautiful half day sailing trip with them. We also did a "Manager's Special" tour through Stonefield and our driver, David, was great. He gave us a tour of the northern part of the island/Rodney Bay area. Rest assured Soufriere is a much more beautiful place to stay. Service...service everywhere is slow, it's island time 'mon! We had very kind service at Stonefield. St. Lucia is beautiful and all in all it was a lovely trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We have mixed feelings about this place upon our return.
PROS: The privacy of the room, porch and pool was great (we were in Ginger Lily)! The private pool was fantastic. The porch hammock and outdoor shower were great too.

CONS:
- The restaurant was so expensive for the food you received it was ridiculous! We began boycotting the restaurant after day 2 and found some fabulous alternatives (Boucan, Jalouise). Both restaurants were supurb in quality of the food, price, and service. If you stay at Stonefield, eat elsewhere for lunch and dinner!

- The noise! This was no quiet oasis hotel! The neighbors (not people at the resort but local homes surrounding the resort) were so loud it kept us up sometimes. The manager said he tried to go down the hill to ask them to turn down their music but was unsuccessful. By the way, this was not New Years, it was many days later.

- The rooms were a bit old and need some new fixtures, sinks, and toilets. The room's privacy warrents the price but the room was not as nice as I'd hoped.

- Lastly, I cannot shake the feeling that I was ripped off and that is no way to feel about a vacation. The reason I feel this way is that once we visited other resorts and restaurants and we saw what we COULD have experienced for the price, we were so dissappointed in this resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We paid about £230 per night for 7 nights from 16 December 2011 to 23 December for 2 with breakfast. This was a good deal as we were in a large group as part of a wedding.Overall we were pleased with the resort although there is plenty of room for improvement. We would stay here again, especially if the internet wifi was extended to be available in villas not just the reception and restaurant.

Having spent a night in Ladera (see other review) these 2 hotels are similar in concept and quite close to each other near Jalousie Plantation.

In Stonefield we stayed in the villa "Jasmine" which was at the bottom of the hill side resort. The rooms / villas are timber construction and mostly detached. Jasmine has spectacular uninterrupted spectacular views of Petit Piton and of the sea. Entry is via a door to the large terrace with hammock and table for 6. The space, including the terrace is about 100 m2. Internally the walls are 2.80 m high only, while the ceiling is higher. This means there is little privacy in the bathroom. The is a separate large shower room with the ceiling open to the elements, and small geckos permanently in residence feeding off small insects, which of course is to be expected. The shower room, with access via the bathroom has been tastefully tiled with attractive stone tiles and a mosaic to a high standard, only spoilt slightly by white plastic shampoo and shower gel dispensers and the old shower mixer and head, which could do with replacement. [note to the management - using good quality shower mixers and shower heads, such as HansGrohe or Axor or similar in the first place is much more cost effective than trying to save a bit of money in the short term by using cheap ones that only last a few years.]

The pool in Jasmine is one of the largest of all the double occupancy villas according to the reception. It is more of a swimming pool than a plunge pool, or maybe somewhere in between.

Things I liked:
○ The plantation resort has a spacious roomy relaxed feel with lots of wide open spaces and villas mostly generously separated from each other.
○ The huge south west facing terrace with views to the Petit Piton and sea, and the hammock and 2 sun loungers. It's almost perfect.
○ Large safe - much bigger than other hotel room safes
○ Large plunge pool, almost swimming pool.
○ Large room divided into 3 sections: bedroom, living room, terrace and pool
○ Friendly staff, especially in the restaurant. I should point out that this seemed to be genuinely friendliness not the variety taught by training courses.
○ Very quiet and not near any noisy roads,
○ Very chilled out and relaxed environment.
○ Quite close to beaches, especially Sugar beach at Jalousie Plantation.
○ The plunge pool was large and inviting and well maintained. The swimming pool man was friendly, very polite, considerate and well spoken - full marks! We used the in-villa pool often, unlike the rather uninviting small plunge pool in Ladera.
○ The restaurant tries to use as much as possible produce farmed on the estate.

Things I didn't like:
○ No internet in villas, only in the restaurant and reception.
§ I don't think this is acceptable in 2011, given the price of the villas per night. Extending the wifi internet down to the villas would cost probably no more than the price of 2 or 3 nights stay.
§ I discussed this with the (very accessible and visible) GM and he said it was not in keeping with the concept of the resort and not his policy to bring TV and internet down to the villas. Now TV I can fully understand. Internet I can't understand.
§ As an example of the inconvenience this causes, on the afternoon the day before our flight I had to walk up the steep hill with my laptop in the full glare of the sun, find a seat at the restaurant and connect to the wifi there, instead of enjoying the last few hours with my partner in the villa by the pool - 40 minutes or more of wasted time sitting by myself in the restaurant.
§ As another example, I received a text message in the early morning one day that I was going to go into overdraft and fees would be charged, and that I needed to make a transfer that morning. I had to again walk up the steep hill early in the morning with my laptop and mobile phone and spend 40 minutes there.
§ In my opinion what the GM says is absolute nonsense, and it is purely a matter of laziness and / or meanness. His main argument seems to be "you can use the internet to watch television now", Well, yes and what's your point exactly? Almost anything is possible from a technology point of view. If someone wanted to they could bring a portable TV into the villas and connect it to a mobile internet service and watch TV on it. So what?
○ Walls do not reach the ceiling - giving little privacy in the bathroom.
○ Some of the rooms (including Jasmine) do not have any glass in the doors or windows, just wooden slats. During the night in strong winds and rain the noise is considerable and items in the room were blown to the floor (December).
○ The safe in the room is not secured to the wall at all (although it is large and heavy so carrying it out could be tricky).
○ Electric items in the room could have done with replacement. The iron in the room was old, didn't work properly and the plug didn't fit properly in most of the sockets. The clock radio with Ipod dock stopped working after a few days and when I informed reception they replaced it with an older one with no ipod dock. Come on, your rack rates are high - you should do better than that. Buy something nice like a Zeppelin Air so we can enjoy some quality sounding music now and then. Cost? About one nights stay, if bought in bulk and net of VAT.
○ I enjoyed the breakfast, but the variety of the fruit could have been better - some more exotic fruit would have been nice. Standards have changed - the fruit served was fine but I can get the same in any supermarket in London, and actually probably better - e.g. tree ripened mango from Marks & Spencer. The restaurant in called Mango tree because there is a beautiful fruiting mango tree right next to the pool. We were never served mango!

Overall we enjoyed the stay, and the ability to stay in the villa on the huge terrace next to your own private pool with spectacular views gave enormous scope for truly relaxing and stress reducing holidays. The only significant issue for us was lack of internet in the villas - this needs to be resolved soon in my opinion.

Room Tip: Each villa is unique so choosing is difficult. Choose based on pool size, whether there is AC, how b...
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This December was our third trip to Stonefield in a year. It is still excellent, and I encourage readers to read my previous reviews, as much has not changed.

This trip also marked a new hotel manager, who seemed to be doing a pretty good job holding down the fort-- he even brought us umbrellas to the villa during a downpour. This time, they added live entertainment to the Plantation BBQ which was very entertaining-- I even got to eat fire! Also, since our first choice, Tamarind, was unavailable, we were upgraded for free to Frangipani, which has a spectacular view of the ocean. However, the outdoor shower is not as nice as Tamarind's. The staff there is mostly the same, with a few new faces, and still extremely well trained and courteous.

The only negative feedback I have is that one day, I ordered chicken kebabs for lunch and tried a yellow pepper on the end of the kebab... MISTAKE! It was EXTREMELY spicy and very unpleasant until the waitress brought me some milk. Beware of unknown peppers!

We definitely plan on returning.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stonefield is a wonderful low key gem! We stayed in the garden view Orchid Villa, which was spacious and very clean. The villa is billed as a garden view, so we were more than surprised that the bedroom, living room and patio pool area had a full view of the Piton. The villa has it's own infinity pool, and a lot of outdoor room to spread out and lounge. We ate out, so were not able to take full advantage of the kitchen, but it looked fairly well stocked. The shower area is lovely - several shower heads, good pressure with enough hot water for two long showers. Bed is very firm. The only suggestions we have concern the lighting and the mosquito netting. Lighting is very effective, but flourescent and "hard". Maybe softer sconces around the bulbs? The netting around the bed had gaps at the openings, and there are mosquitos. We figured out too late that hair clips kept the netting shut if you don't move around too much. But those are such small things compared to everything else.

A few notes:
-If you bring your own coffee, bring filters too. The villa only had prefilled melitta coffee filters.
-Snorkelers, bring your own gear. Both Jalousie & Anse Chastenet charged us between $20-40 US per day for gear for two.
-Cell phone: the hotel provided one to us, and it was brilliant. We were able to call for cabs, make reservations, and even make and receive calls ( 49 pennies a minute to / from the U.S.)
-WiFi signal at Mango Tree was strong.

The staff at reception and the Mango Tree were very sweet and helpful, and the shuttles to Jalousie beach were super convenient. The grounds are lovely, and my husband fell in love with Abdul, the 47 year old macaw.

All in all a great value, we enjoyed our short stay.

Room Tip: Orchid is close to the driveway, but also close to both reception & Mango Tree, which migh be go...
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

WE can not say enough good about our stay at this resort! It exceeded our expectations in every way and found the entire staff to be accomodating and willing to go out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and welcome. This is exactly the type of resort that we like, private, beautiful views, excellent restaurant (also with beautiful views) and friendly staff. The general manager seemed to be truly concerned about us and our comfort. When we checked in, they made sure that we enjoyed the fresh juice of the day and during the week the GM invited all of the guests for a special rum punch at the lounge, by the pool. Our villa was very clean and comfortable with a large bed room, large bath with an outside shower (completly private), living room, kitchen, and private porch. If you are looking for a lot of activity and a lot of people around with a lot of noise, this may not be the right place for you. If you are looking for a beautiful villa with a private pool and a quiet relaxing vacation at a wonderful resort this is the right place to be. I will recommend Stonefield Estate Villa to all of my friends and will definatly stay there again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Stonefield Villa Resort on a day pass. It was a wonderful experience. We were in St.Lucia for 9hrs from the cruise ship. The cost was $155 Cdn for 2 ppl which included lunch for 2 and an absolutely gorgeous view of the sea and Piton from our villa.There is an outdoor shower, huge living room with eat in kitchen. This resort is a must for everyone! We did not want to leave. This is why we booked to stay here next year. The staff are so friendly and accommodating. The food was great too. Thanks Stonefields!

Room Tip: Choose the Oceanview rooms. It is so tranquil!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!