“Perfect wedding @ Stonefield!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Stonefield Estate | Saint Lucia, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect wedding @ Stonefield!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stonefield provided the perfect venue for our private romantic wedding setting!
Our Jasmine Villa had everything we need - our private pool with a breathtaking view of the Petit Piton and the Caribbean sea! The staff was very hospitable and friendly - Alex, Vivi and Thecla made our stay special and memorable.
We recommend renting a car to get around - its the best way to see the entire island in your time!
There are lots of good restaurants to eat around Soufriere and up in Rodney Bay!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I wanted to have a vacation where we got to relax. We tend to travel every few days and check things out, but decided Stonefield would be a good place to just relax. We were right. It was a quick 15 minute walk down hill to the town of Soufriere. We learned you need a cab to get back up. The biggest disappointment was how much the food and cabs cost. We read lots of reviews from people and decided not to rent a car. However, we learned if you like to check out the area cabs are a minimum of $10 U.S. one way for a 5 minute car ride. Stonefield provided a shuttle to the beach located at another resort which was very nice. We had a great view of the Pitons and loved our private little pool. We had screens in the windows and A/C which was cool. One day we came back to our room to find plexy glass instead of screens without us asking and it really kept the place cool. The shower is outside and a neat experience. The breakfast is wonderful. Allow extra time to eat. We found service can be slow, but the views and food were worth the wait. We did plan activities in the area in the morning and sometimes needed to eat quick, again, allow a few extra minutes. Dinner is $50 per person. This is normal pricing for an island. The food is different every night and was delightful. There is a great restaurant a short walk below the hotel on the beach that has great food and great prices.
If we go back, we would stay again. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. We thought we were being obnoxious with requests and questions, but they never treated us like we were a bother. Instead the staff was professional and very nice and always helped us.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The best way to describe the Stonefield for the first few nights of our honeymoon is PERFECT! We flew into Hewanorra and took a $70 cab (about 30 min) to the Stonefield Estates. Upon arrival, we were greeted with chilled towels and fresh squeezed fruit juice to beat the heat. Check in was quick and easy and we found out that we were upgraded to an ocean view as well. We stayed in the Ginger Lily ocean-view villa which was so beyond perfect! It was located a short walk from the restaurant and check-in. We were ushered in and shown all the amenities. There was a nice little walkway before getting to the outdoor area of the villa which was really nice for some added privacy. The villa was quite large complete with a king bed and mosquito net, kitchenette with mini fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom had a double vanity and a very large walk-in closet, the outdoor shower was amazing! The outdoor living space was complete with a deck and awning with a hammock, a small table with two chairs and another patio with no awning which had two loungers and our private plunge pool. The plunge pool was much larger than I had expected and quite deep too. We had an amazing view of petit piton and we could see the ocean a little through the greenery. One thing worth mentioning was that we felt they were a little unprepared for our arrival because we had no book for room service and information and nothing in our mini bar. We made a phone call and were quickly brought the book but it had another person's name on the welcome letter so it was obviously not intended for us. Housekeeping did come and stock our fridge but only with beverages, not the snacks that were also advertised on the mini bar menu. Not a big deal, just worth mentioning.

Room service took quite a while to arrive and was kind of cool upon arrival. The food was good but I could tell it had been sitting somewhere for a while. Either way, it was nice not to have to "get ready" and just eat in the middle of the rainforest on our private verandah.

Mango Tree is the only restaurant on site and the food was great but the view was incredible!! Breakfast is included so it's definitely worth it to at least check it out for that. The service was a little slow but we were on island time anyway :)

There is a complimentary shuttle that will bring guests to/from Jalousie Beach which is AMAZING! It is nestled in between the pitons and is just incredible!

There is complimentary wifi but it is only available in the restaurant. There are also board games and playing cards at the front desk which is great because the resort is a little isolated so it can be a pain to go off property for everything.

Turn down service was nice, housekeeping would draw the mosquito net over the bed and light citronella candles. For being right in the middle of the rainforest, there weren't too many bugs. I admit, we saw our fair share of strange little creatures, I took a shower with a giant spider and a cockroach was on our floor one morning but for the rustic feel, this was just the way it was. I had tons of bites from annoying little bugs outside, I'm sure but my hubby hardly had any. You definitely want some strong bug spray and always wear it. I didn't notice getting bit but I sure noticed the itchy bites the next day.

Some of the villas do not have AC and I must say, I think it would be unbearable to not have it. St. Lucia is extremely hot and even more humid.

Room Tip: It doesn't hurt to request. We requested AC and offered to pay to upgrade before arrival. Upon...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for your candid review. we do apologise for not extending the true stonefield welcome,which is that "wow" welcome.we have looked at changing some of the small mishaps that occured on your trip and so we will be better able to host you on your next stonefield visit.
Ernie George
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed here in March 2010 and liked it so well we'll be back for a big anniversary. If you're into constant activities and baking on the beach every day, this is not the place for you. For us, it was perfect. Serenity reigned. Sitting on our own very private terrace with a gorgeous view of the ocean from high up, enjoying our plunge pool, taking outdoor showers, listening to the sounds of the jungle - that was magical and allowed us to reconnect as a couple.

Breakfasts were excellent, dinners at Mango Tree somewhat mixed and not of consistent quality - sometimes very good, sometimes overpriced and nothing special. We liked that there is a strong connection to the local community in the performing arts - even if that means the quality can be a bit uneven. It's like going to a jazz event where sometimes you get so-so quality and sometimes the raw edge of the music makes you realize you are witnessing something very special.

One night we went to dinner at Ladera - where everything is done to the highest standards (and prices) and delivered with an air of snootiness. Stonefield Estate, in contrast, is more down to earth and accessible.

They do try to lock you in to "their" tours and taxi service etc., and most attractions are a good distance away. But for us, the place was so magical that we stayed put most of the time, reading and using our plunge pool and walking the property trails, watching the hummingbirds, getting a couple's massage at their spa, and enjoying our second (or fifth or sixth) honeymoon.

The Pitons were not as green as they used to be, and we sincerely hope the droughts will end. Next time we might go earlier in the season and hope for a lusher version of the Pitons. But Stonefield is the place we will return to. It is a very special place for people who appreciate nature and are willing to open their hearts, minds and ears to the beauty of nature.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we hope to see you soon
Ernie George
Coral Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at Stonefield for 4 days/ 3 nights to celebrate first anniversary; the trip was actually a surprise for my hubby. The negatives outweighed the positives for my husband and I, so we would not stay here again. If you want romantic solitude with just you and your honey stay here.

Positives:
We stayed in the Jasmine; the villa, plunge pool are clean, well appointed, but the bed is hard. The mini-bar prices are reasonable. The in-room coffee is very weak as compared to what they serve at Mango Tree; I prefered the in-room coffee. The double outdoor shower is very romantic. My husband was dissappointed we did not have a TV; the resort offers wi-fi, but we did not bring our tablet. The resort also has board games available. The plunge pool was a great way to cool off and soothe pesky mosquito bites.

The views of the Petit Piton are gorgeous. Its too bad their isn't beach access, but once you look down from the mountainside, you realize sandy beachfront is definitely at a premium in Soufreire. The Mango Tree, the on-site restaurant was good. The seating is very romantic- set up for two overlooking the piton and sea.

Negatives:
I booked an ocean view villa w/ A/C at Stonefield through Expedia, but upon arriving at the hotel, they did not have my reservation. We were "upgraded" to a Hillside villa. Yes the villa was larger, but this upgraded villa did not have A/C. We were absolutely miserable the first night- loud noisy crickets and bugs, and the humidity was atrocious. There are two fans in the room, but the fan over the bed was ineffective due to the canopy on top of the bed. We got a little used to the noisy bugs by the second and third night; but the night time humidity definitely put a damper on sleeping comfortably at night let alone romance at night. Our most restful experience at the hotel was during the afternoon when Hurricane/ Tropical Storm Mary had a down pour and cooled things off. The rain noise was loud, but more calming than the bugs.

Before visiting the hotel, I contacted the staff regarding mosquitoes due to all of the TA comments. I was told they spray nightly, and citronella candles were in the room. The one candle in the room was an old fashioned candle and we were not familiar w/ how to light it up; that was probably the citronella candle. I brought body bug spray, and the new clip on fan bug spray just in case. Even still both my husband and I were eaten alive. I have about 7 bites. His legs, mostly, were covered in about 40-50 bites.

The staff seemed unprepared for our visit, not getting the info from Expedia did not help; but they also did not recover well. For instance, we were not shown where the safe was in the room or given the combo; we had to later request our room key. Not knkowing and just in general having questions about the lodging put a damper on the stay as we were concerned about safety.

Tips: (1) Bring Sarna, anti-itch lotion, very soothing for bites; (2) book your tours separately from the hotel, they have a definite mark up example Dennery Zip Line $89/ per person direct through Tree Top, but w/ Stonefield it was $120/ per person. (3) Think about doing the all-inclusive food b/c when you are in Soufriere everything is an expensive taxi-ride away. (4) Besides the Sulfur Springs and Volcano attraction, there is not much to do/ see in Soufreire.

Room Tip: During rainy season, weather is hot & humid, and bugs are noisy & nocturnal; get a room w/ A...
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The best part: The privacy, the view and the food - really great on all. The restaurant food is so good and the staff there is great too. Anetta and Alex were so fun and professional. The worst part...the flying bugs and the near heart attack that Karen at the front desk almost gave me when she called the restaurant and interrupted my dinner to tell me I had a "phone call from a gentleman"...and that was it. I was so freaked out, all I could think of was it was someone from home who was calling me with an emergency. She could have mentioned ahead of time that it was the guy from the beach area looking for a receipt that I had signed and left the wrong copy when I left. That would have made for a totally different outcome. I was so upset, and when I went to the front desk after dinner to suggest she not do it that way again, she really never apologized like she meant it. I just didn’t get the feeling she cared about it. I also asked that she have the manager call me on the issue, and he never did. I assume she never told him, but who knows. She also forgot to book our airport transfers when we called ahead of time. When we talked to her about a week or so before we left, we were told someone would be waiting with our name on a sign when we arrived at the airport, that didn’t happen. We had to find a taxi on our own, which luckily was easy and Stennis did a great job getting us to the hotel safe and worked with the hotel to charge it to them as it was supposed to have been done.

As far as everything else, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Hibiscus Villa from September 4th thru September 9th, 2011 and the total trip was great. First, the villas are nice; they are quaint, but very private and really have everything you need. The view was also really great; our villa had a fantastic view of the water and the piton, as well as a pool. If you get a villa with a pool then you can really enjoy privacy, but I think my boyfriend was a better pool caretaker than the one there. He added water when we arrived so it would cycle because it was a little cloudy, then it cleared right up. The villa is nice, but the shower is an outdoor shower. It was actually cool, but a little strange at first. Also, the villa sleeping area does have air, but not all of the villas do so keep that in mind when you book. The menu at the restaurant changes every day, but everything I ordered was great. A few nights I didn’t really care for main course items on the menu and when I asked for something different they always accommodated me and it tasted great. The breakfast was included on our booking and it was always good too. There are no TV's in the room and really no internet connection except at the restaurant area, which was ok with us. All in all I would stay there again, but I would be very careful that I didn’t rely on Karen at the front desk, but Suzanne at the desk is great.

We also took two tours, our second day we hiked the Gros Piton with John from Paradise Excursions. I would highly recommend him if you want to do the hike. He showed up right on time with a taxi and two mangos for us. He was dressed nicely and spoke English well. He was friendly and the food after the hike that he provided was so good. The hike is tough, but he is patient if you need to rest. He does it several days a week, so he never even broke a sweat, amazing! We also booked a sailboat for the two of us for the day with Mystic Man Tours and Andrew who was our captain was great. We left Soufriere at 10 am and went to Marigot Bay, had lunch and shopped and then came back to the Jade Mountain area to snorkel (but...heads up that the snorkel gear wasn’t great). Then we sailed for a bit and had champagne at sunset. Very nice trip.

The first day and the last day we went to the beach that is "free" to hotel guests, its at the Jalouise hotel. There are shuttles that take you to the hotel and its just about a 5 minute drive. The beach is very nice, but its about $20 a chair to hang out there. There is a bar and a restaurant there and the service and food was good. The second day the waiter at the Jalouise tried to tell us that we could only rent the green chairs (not the good chairs), but we told him that we werent told that and the first day we sat in the white chairs, so he didnt say any more. You can also snorkel there and it was great. The Stonefield has snorkel gear that can be used at no charge and there was alot to see, we enjoyed it. The Jalousie is also a nice place, we would have stayed there but it was booked. We walked around a bit and it was nice. It may not have been as private, but was beautiful. If I do go back to St. Lucia I will probably try to stay there next time.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have air, so be sure to check
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Just got back from a 6 night trip to St Lucia where we spent 3 nights in the North at Windjammer Landing and 3 nights in the South at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort.

We were put in the Casurina Villa and had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. It was large, had AC (def needed in the summer) a huge porch with a good sized plunge pool. The maid service was very efficient and we would always come back to a super clean room after our days out exploring the local beach, zipline adventure, or town.

The one and only restaurant, the Mango Tree is where all meals are served. For a small fee, you can also have your meal delivered to your room. We did that for dinner one night and just took it easy and relaxed with a bottle of Proseco. Every meal we had there was awesome, but there are other local spots, should you wish to venture out and eat elsewhere.

Ernie, the manager is such a pleasant guy. Always in a good mood and joking around, you could always hear his laughter coming from somewhere. He will happily set up an excursion for you, recommend a restaurant (he sent us to Gee's in town and it was amazing) or answer any questions that may arise during your trip.

My only hesitation that I had before I booked was that they did not have their own beach. All that was put aside once we saw how close Jalouise actually was. I'm taking about a true 7 min ride or so. Perhaps less....There is also a local zipline spot and some waterfalls, all within walking distance.

This resort is a place where you will not want to leave after you have been there for more than 24 hours. It is tranquil, peaceful and romantic. Each villa is very private and the dense tropical foliage creates your own private area for whatever you wish to do. We'll be back, Ernie!

Any questions, just contact me and one final word of advice......

Try to do the North and the South, they are black and white. You should definitely see both sides to the island. We did 3 nights in each and didn't feel rushed at all. (North is more built up, more amenities, restaurants, hotels, casino but the South is truly stunning, isolated, and much more romantic. Jalouise Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the world.)

Room Tip: Casaurina was amazing, but they all looked good.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
thanks for the kind and positive words. we will pass it on to our employees. i know you guys had fun and i am so waiting for your return.
god bless and keep intouch
ernie

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!