“You will not find a better resort, hands down.” 5 of 5 stars

Ladera Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Rabot Estate, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
USA
“You will not find a better resort, hands down.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I went to Ladera on our honeymoon and were blown away with the amenities and level of service we recieved at Ladera. We were somewhat hesitant because of the missing wall but the view was INCREDIBLE and the rooms were amazing. They kept things incredibly clean given the fact that the rooms are open to the elements and the staff will bend over backwards for you if needed. I can not say enough good things about this hotel and my husband and I will return there as soon as we can. I have never been more relaxed or pampered and they far exceeded my expectations. The food at the restaraunt is amazing and we couldn't wait to try something new each night. You will not regret your stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

While not saying, we always visit the Ladera when on the Island for lunch or a sunset cocktail. Today's lunch was yet another amazing feast. The staff are so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. They always welcome us and make us comfortable with minimum fuss, unlike their neighbours Jalousie. The view between the pitons is stunning and the volcano and waterfall are round the corner. If you visit St Lucai this is a must visit!

I have read the other comments about bugs, etc., but as a regular on the Island you are kidding yourself if you think tropical islands do not come with bugs whever you go. Good repellant is sold all over the island, though staying on the east coast, with the Atlantic breeze, is best for those really concerned about getting a few bits.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Based on the reviews here I was nervous about staying at Ladera. We decided to spend only two nights here and then move to another resort. However, the resort completely exceeded my expectations.

I think another reviewer was right, you have to know yourself and have realistic expectations. I hate bugs, mosquitos typically feast off me, this is why I was nervous. But it was not an issue. I actually didn't get bit at all. I did use OFF but I think we were lucky that the rainy weather kept them bugs at bay. I actually got bit way more at the second resort we moved to. We did have a few small geckos, but I was prepared for that. And one large moth. The birds were around, but never bothered us. But none of this matters that much when you see the amazing view! You truly feel like you're part of nature. It inspires...great comfort with yourselves.

We booked a Petit Piton Suite but were upgraded to a Gros Piton Suite which was quite large and beauitful. We made friends with another couple and saw their 1 bedroom suite although to be honest, I think I liked ours better. Our plunge pool was bigger and we got better air flow through the room. We also got to tour the dream suite and the 2 bedroom.

The food at Dasheene was amazing, as everyone says. It is quite pricey but not out of the range of other very nice restaurants around the world. Because we were only there two nights and it rained a lot during our time there, we didn't try out the beach or pool (other than our plunge pool), we simply relaxed and this resort is perfect for that.

Yes the tree frogs are loud, as they are on the whole island. We ran our "waterfall" the entire time which helped drown out any other noises, as did the rain during the night. I think we only heard other guests once, and even then it wasn't clear, just vaguely background you could tell people were talking.

Overall, this is an incredible experience. I don't think I'd want to stay for a week, because it's pretty slow-paced, but for several nights, I don't see how you'd regret it.

France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

What we liked:
The Views: Ladera – and this is no exaggeration – offers the most beautiful views of the Saint Lucia island. We traveled the entire island and even the famous Marigot Bay can not beat this.
The People: The entire staff has been extremely friendly and attentive.
The Spa: We had a very relaxing, professionally executed aroma therapy massage and it was just great.
The Cocktails: The cocktails haven been some of the best we ever had. And no matter who made the bar they were always great. Try a Lovely Lady or Ladera Sunrise…..
The Gardens: Very nice and well groomed tropical garden throughout the resort.

What we didn’t like:
The Entertainment: Ladera advertises the tranquility and natural sounds of its location but some of the evening entertainment has been so noisy that even in our rooms several hundred yards away from the bar we couldn’t escape it. And it lasts until 11pm. Then they had also acoustic music which was very nice during dinner time.

The traffic noise: We expected Ladera to be remote but its just 30 yards off the main road going around the island. There is quite some traffic including heavy trucks and this disturbed the evening and morning calm. Not that they can do anything about it but it was never mentioned. (We should have checked with Google Earth). This was something we couldn’t get used to.

What you should know:
The rooms: We had a Grand Piton Suite and it was small. Not what you would expect from the pics on their web page. We enjoyed the open room concept and the closeness to nature but don’t expect real luxury as advertised. The rooms are tasteful but pretty basic and you will not find any marble, golden faucets or the like. Given the view above the tree tops we compared it to a very comfortable tree house. We liked it but we had expected something slightly different.
The sulphur springs: They are a half mile away and on any given day you will get a nose full of this rotten egg smell. Once we knew where it came from (not from within our room) we were o.k. with it. But it’s a hell of a smell…..
The Dasheen restaurant: We first had a very bad experience with this highly praised restaurant. After three dinners (each 200 $) with just average food we stopped visiting. The food was poorly prepared (well done Tuna and steaks) and also poorly presented. Almost bar food style. Then, during our second week we tried again and were completely surprised. The taste was great, the presentation the way you would expect it from a classy restaurant. And – it stayed that way. The miracle seems to be that they had re-opened after summer break and the first week we assume the chef was not in town. While this explains it we think this shouldn’t have happen.
We stayed for 2 weeks at Ladera and in conclusion we enjoyed it once we got beyond the initial deficiencies. The people are very nice and always helpful and despite the traffic noise we had a relaxing time. We went several times to Jalousie beach just below Ladera which is one of the nicest beaches around. Hiking up Gros Piton was also a fantastic adventure rewarded with great views. Regarding Ladera: They should adjust the way they market themselves. Its not a true luxury resort but with the view and the wonderful tropical gardens it has a very special charm. Management should seek guest feedback through evaluation forms – so far they don’t.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I've been fantasizing about Ladera Resort for two years. I'm not sure why really but I think it's because I was so intrigued by the "open-air" experience. I must say that I found Ladera to be quite enjoyable but thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor, we only spent a few nights there instead of the entire week. I thought it would be troublesome to switch hotels due to the packing/unpacking but it actually felt like two trips in one. We stayed at Jade Mountain Resort (JMR) the remainder of our time in St. Lucia. I wrote a separate review of JMR. Anyway...while I loved the staff and found the food at Dasheen to be superb, Ladera is a bit too rustic for my taste. In addition, I felt a little too close to nature during the night time. We only had a few tree frogs and birds visit our room but I kept expecting something worse. Ladera is great during the day but if you tend to get up in the middle of the night, be careful not to step on a tree frog. The netting around the bed is quite secure so mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely recommend Ladera for 2-3 nights but it may be a bit much for some to stay an entire week. If you love nature however...well this is the place for you and you can't beat the food. Be sure to order a Lovely Lady frozen drink at Dasheen! There's nightly entertainment at Dasheen which is quite a treat. We really enjoyed the live bands and the fire dancing act. Shuttle service is provided to either Jalousie or Anse Chastanet beach (I prefer Jalousie) but for those who want to visit the beach on their own schedule, this is not the place for you. I think the Ladera staff is beginning to realize this which is why they now have a partnership with Cap Maison for the shared (indoor/outdoor) vacation experience. Not to mention that you can see both the Northern and Southern parts of the island. I would definitely return to Ladera for a few nights (with my husband of course because I'm a bit of a chicken). I think Ladera would be great for a solo retreat but honestly I'm too afraid to stay there by myself. As a side note, my husband was stung by a jellyfish at Jalousie beach. There are no signs warning swimmers about this danger. I don't think it's widespread but that really doesn't matter when you're the one stung. Be sure to watch the area around you and wear protective clothing if possible. Lastly, I'm not sure why we were charged $130.00/pp for the Zipline tour when Jade Mountain Resort charges $120.00/pp for the same tour conducted by the same company - Treetop Adventure. It might be proximity but be sure to make mention if you decide to zipline. It was rather fun btw. Overall, it's a great place for a short stay and an experience you'll cherish!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Lucia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My daughter, my son and I stayed there for my daughters birthday. We have a wonderful time. The kids enjoyed the private pool in our villa. Breath taking view for breakfast, most relaxing with a hammock on the patio. Highly recommended for couples looking to get away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My husband and I went to Ladera for our honeymoon. Everyone at Ladera is super helpful and extremely friendly. The service you receive is second to none.
The view is of course phenomenal - pictures just don't do it justice. It is truly breathtaking.
The room was beyond belief. When we walked in and saw the view my jaw dropped. It was like living in a high scale tree house for a week. I absolutely loved every second of it. No rain came into the room and the tree frogs at night were actually pretty serene. There was only one night when the bugs were kind of annoying but we just turned the lights off and took shelter in the mosquito net covered bed and watched a movie on the portable dvd players you can get at reception.
This is an experience unlike any other. We loved every second of it and felt so welcomed from the second we arrived right up until the last minute when we were checking out.
The food at Dasheene is amazing. I usually don't get too excited about food but here I couldn't wait for every single meal. I have never had food so delicious!
We stayed in a two bedroom luxury villa (we had booked a one bedroom villa but got upgraded for free).
The black water mineral baths are awesome and so relaxing/revitalizing!
We got massages at the spa and they were amazing. I also got a body wrap and my skin still feels awesome!
All in all I wouldn't trade this vacation for anything - it was better than we had hoped and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!