“Pitons Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Soufriere
Santa Barbara, California
“Pitons Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Ladera for a week in July celebrating my 60th birthday.
We couldn't have been happier with the delightful rooms, complete with small pools and magnificent views of the Pitons.
The staff, as well as owner, Holly, were wonderful.
The nearby town of Soufrieres, where we embarked on a couple of catamaran sails, was a short distance away and well worth the visit.
We also visited the colorful resting place of Lord Glenconner, the founder of the nearby celebrity island of Mustique,- a favorite of Prince William and Kate - in the village of Choiseul, which is festooned with coronets!
I trust it won't be too long before we get back...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The views are absolutely stunning! The staff was friendly and helpful. Holly, the owner, was around to chat periodically and get to know guests. It was a very nice touch.

We stayed in a hilltop dream suite with a heated pool, a swing and breathtaking views of the pitons and sugar beach. Our room allowed us the option to sleep in an enclosed area with an air conditioner downstairs or upstairs in the open with simply netting and the cool evening breeze. The air conditioner didn’t really cool, so we ended up sleeping in the open area. Bugs and animals were noisy and there were lizards present, but we adjusted easily and considered this part of the charm. This probably would not be a great choice for light sleepers though. The décor was a bit cheesy and outdated, not at all modern feeling or what you’d expect from a high-end resort.

Breakfast was great; but we were a little disappointed to learn that only the continental is included. A hot breakfast choice will cost you $7. Felt a bit nickeled and dimed, again for a higher-end resort not what you’d expect. We had dinner, lunch and snacks on several occasions at the restaurant and everything was delicious. Like everywhere at this resort, the views are astonishing from the restaurant and bar area.

We took the shuttle to Sugar Beach and had lunch at the restaurant down there. The food was exceptional and I would highly recommend eating down there, great jerk chicken. There is fantastic snorkeling and more spectacular views from the beach as well. We walked to the Volcano and the mud baths on our own. It’s a little hike, about 20 minutes. We went across the street to Hotel Chocolat for the tree to bean and bean to bar tours, which were fun, interesting and interactive. We also had dinner there several nights, amazing food and beautiful, modern atmosphere. It was really nice to have another fantastic restaurant just across the street. We hiked the Gros Piton, which was a challenging, yet rewarding experience. Lastly, we did the Friday Night Fish Fry, something I would skip. When we arrived it was really quiet and when the music started and the party was really getting going, it was time to head back to the resort. The resort employee who took the tour was really nice and fun to chat with, but overall it wasn’t really worth it.

Beautiful resort with a completely unique experience, but don’t expect four or five star resort décor/ambiance. Despite any shortcomings, it is absolutely, completely worth staying here for the views.

Castries, St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our getaway weekend is most memorable because of the love of nature,beauty and royalty with which Ladera welcomes and infuses into" her new family" every moment of being there.
It was quite a humbling experience to be part of nature's untouched bounty once again.Complete indulgence in the mystery of it all. A divine blend of green thinking and luxury! Hats off to Ladera.We will never be the same again after our magical weekend.
The thought power behind the architectural design , upkeep of the gardens , timber suites ,delivery of service is highly rated as genius by us.
We dont want to spoil the fun of your discovery...come to the mine and dig for your Ladera..

Peace and Love
Dave and Dee

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I'm not really sure where to start as there was so much that was incredible about our honeymoon at Ladera. It started with the breathtaking view upon entering our room and a feeling that we were truly one with nature. While I'm not normally one to "camp" or hug a tree, there is something so luxurious about everything that is Ladera snuggled quietly in the cleavage of the Grand Pitons.
After some initial uneasiness and a lot of questions, we were absolutely thrilled with the open-air, freeing feeling that we experienced in our luxury villa. We had our own very secluded pool, a mosaic shower that was so outdoors, while feeling safe and being indoor. Our expansive space included a kitchen area and bar, a dining area, a living area, a bedroom, a swing or "porch" area and a large bathroom ... all in one suite. The conchshell waterfall that fell over our own private pool gave us such relaxation and joy that I'm certain I cannot even begin to do it justice in this explanation.
But the real experience at Ladera is the people! Our 1st evening, after not only being recognized and called by name by owner Holly Scott, we were also served an unforgettable private dinner in our suite by Leah Popo. We now call both Leah and Holly family ... and they refer to us the same way.
Leah was so very attentive, happy to stand off in the corner quietly while we had our 1st dinner as a married couple. But once invited into the evening, she lit up and that light never dimmed the entire time we were there. We requested Leah every evening for dinner and had such a wonderful time getting to know about her and her family at home, as well as her family at Ladera. She is a gem and should definitely be requested when you dine at Dasheene.
Speaking of Dasheene, another WOW!!! The food was absolutely amazing, my kudos to the chef. The menu changed every other day and there was something delicious for our finicky palates every time, so much so that on the last night I just could not decide and ended up ordering 2 entrees!
Skoal and Keisha, our butlers, are also truly wonderful human beings. They were at our beckon call, always smiling, and often thought ahead of us so much that it blew me away. One day, my new husband was still sweetly sleeping and Skoal realized that he hadn't heard from us. He knew that if we didn't go soon we would miss breakfast, so he actually called to be sure that we realized the time and offered to bring us breakfast if we couldn't make it down.
I had the pleasure of spending a portion of a dinner with owner Holly Scott, after our initial brief meeting. I heard about how she came to own Ladera and how it was her father who first fell in love with it. I met Holly's husband and friend, also terrific people, and I just could not get over how "real" she was!
On the sad day that we had to leave, Holly was waiting at check out for us. As tears streamed down my face, she said that we were now a part of them, and joked that we should lose our passports. She made us feel so welcome, so special, so important! We had a parting drink together and I learned more about her, and her care for the island and its natives.
I will finish as I started, I just can NOT say enough about what a tremendous resort Ladera is and that a huge part of its beauty and wonder is, of course, the view ... but is even more so about the people and the way that each of them makes their guests feel.
While we always want to visit new places, and often joke that we don't understand others who go back to the same places again and again, we get it now! There is no doubt, we will be back to Ladera, as soon as possible! Thank you Holly, Leah, Skoal and Keisha you gave us memories we will never forget!

Room Tip: Stay in Paradise Ridge 1 (PR1) you will thank me for the recommendation!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pompton Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I recently went to Ladera for our honeymoon. We had trouble choosing a location for our honeymoon at first; we knew we wanted to go to an island (we had never been before our honeymoon) but we weren't sure where to begin narrowing down our search. We absolutely LOVED St. Lucia and Ladera but I will say that I think it is only for certain type of people. We knew that we wanted to visit an island that was lush, green, and provided lots of outdoor activities. We wanted to lodge somewhere that wasn't going to feel super polished and "resorty". St. Lucia AND Ladera fit our specifications perfectly.

When you stay at Ladera, you are completely immersed in the surroundings. Built into the side of a mountain top, the grounds slope upwards and downwards and there is gorgeous, lush vegetation everywhere. The rooms...how do I even explain? I nearly cried when we walked into ours --- and ours was one of the more "moderate" rooms on the premises. With the fourth wall exposed to look over the sea and Pitons, "going back to the hotel room" takes on an entirely new meaning. Many reviewers complained about constant bugs; we did not experience this at all. We applied bug spray daily *(Ladera provides bug spray for you, along with shampoo and conditioner) and were just careful about sliding through the mosquito netting that surrounds the bed. My husband is someone that gets hot VERY easily so he was a little worried about their being no air conditioning. However, with the fourth wall completely open, the temperature in our room was always extremely comfortable. There was also a ceiling fan in the room which helped. You'll fall asleep to the sound of frogs and crickets every night - and yes, they are loud. We, personally, loved this. However, Ladera does include a basket with earplugs if you are someone that needs absolute quiet.

Dasheene, Ladera's restaurant was very good. One good thing to be aware of, however --- Ladera is at the top of a mountain. Because of that, if you want to eat anywhere other than Ladera or at the restaurant across the street, you need to take a taxi into town. Dasheene is a luxury resort restaurant so the prices are NOT cheap for dinner. There were a few nights where my husband I decided to simply eat tin the bar and get a few "small bites" (appetizers) instead so as to avoid paying $100 + on dinner. The small bites are only $7 each and are very good.

The staff at Ladera, as has been touted in other reviews, is wonderful. They are soft spoken, kind, happy, and beyond helpful. Reception will help you with anything they possibly can and they are open until 11:00 p.m. One day I asked if there were yoga mats available. A woman at reception told me that they were and that they would deliver them to my room for me. Five minutes later, there was a knock on my door and there they were!

There is a free daily shuttle that takes you down the mountain to a resort called Sugar Beach at 3 separate times during the day. (10:00, 11:45, and 2:15. There are also 3 designated pick up times). Ladera has partnered with this resort and Ladera guests are allowed to use Sugar Beach's private beach. You need to bring towels with you to sit on. Sugar Beach has its own cushiony white lounge chairs and thatched huts, but you are charged $50 if you want to use them.

Were there some things we didn't like about Ladera? A couple, but they are totally minor:

The spa. This was a bit of a disappointment. We paid $95 each for an anti-stress massage. The massages themselves were fine...but the spa itself left a lot to be desired. It felt more like you were in a physical therapist's office: stark white rooms, cots lined with rough, terry cloth towels, no music, no dimmed lights. Kind of weird. Just like all of the other staff members, the people that gave us our massages were lovely, so this disappointment has nothing to do with them. It would just have been nice if the overall look of the spa was a little nicer, considering what you're paying.

The Tet Paul hike. We went on this Ladera excursion as a last resort. We had been itching to get into the rainforest for a hike -- one of our main reasons for going to St. Lucia. Unfortunately, due to Hurricane Tomas (2010), many of the hiking trails into the rainforest have been destroyed. **If you are planing on going to St. Lucia in the hopes of going into the rainforest, please keep this in mind!** Therefore, we were unable to go on a rainforest hike. We did the Tet Paul hike instead, which was $66 per person. For lack of a more articulate way of putting it, the hike was kind of lame. Calling it a "hike" is actually quite an exaggeration. It was a very low-key short (about 40 minutes) stroll through a park-ish area. Our tour guide, Tresa, was very kind and informative. She gave us information about the surrounding vegetation which was really interesting. Towards the end, you climb a wooden staircase which is called "The Stairway to Heaven." The views here are wildly acclaimed in other reviews, however.....the view from our hotel room was just as good, if not better. So maybe if you're not lucky enough to stay at Ladera, this hike has more appeal.

Overall, this was an absolutely beautiful honeymoon. It was everything we were looking for. Ladera itself sincerely made this trip. The grounds, the room, the views, the sounds, the way the hotel is such a part of the surroundings...I have a feeling that no other place will ever compare.

Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I went to Ladera for our honeymoon in April, and it was the greatest trip EVER.
Waking up to birds singing, going to sleep with thousands of fireflies, all from our room with our private pool!! The rooms are amazing, the views are incredible, and the staff are, quite seriously, the most wonderful people ever. Do NOT MISS the market tour & cooking class with Chef Nigel on Saturday mornings, it is so cool!! The beautiful grounds of the resort are maintained by Ray the Plant Genius, if you like gardening then you MUST take the gardening tour! When you go to the fabulous bar for delicious cocktails, if the lovely Maylissa is working ask for a Maylissa Surprise (my favorite drink was her mysterious concoction, but all of the drinks are sooo good)! We loved every minute of our time at Ladera, and we can't wait to go back! Thank you so much Ladera and everyone who works there, the people are what really make this the greatest resort ever.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I splurged a little bit when we booked our honeymoon at Ladera Resort. IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! We stayed in one of the Paradise Ridge rooms. The views are spectacular. The room was open and airy. The accommodations are great. Comfortable bed, our own private pool (much larger than we thought it would be), huge shower, etc. We really did not have much trouble with bugs, like some of the reviews have mentioned. Just keep your lights off at night. Besides, it's an open air room in the tropics. What do you expect? If you are prissy, don't stay in an open air room. They provide mosquito netting on the bed, so the few bugs we did encounter weren't an issue.
The food at Dasheene (the resort's restaurant) is to die for. The menu changes every other day, with a special menu on Friday nights. Some of the best food I have ever had, any where in the world.
There are many activities, tours, etc. that Ladera arranges for its guests. We did several, and they were all excellent. We really aren't "lay on the beach all day" kind of people (although we did that too!) We hiked the Piton, went scuba diving, snorkeling, saw the volcano, botanical gardens, even took mud baths. All made for wonderful pictures and unforgettable memories!
The staff is helpful and friendly. We had 2 personal butlers, Keicha and Skol. They went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. They took care of absolutely everything. I really did not think it was necessary to have a butler, but needless to say, I was a bit spoiled by the end of the week. We met the owners as well. They are very friendly, down to earth people who make you feel as if you are a guest in their home, not just a "hotel customer" Ladera is gorgeous, fabulous, magnificent, and every other positive adjective you can think of.
Usually when I travel I never want to go to the same place twice, not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I want to see and experience as many places as possible. But my husband and I will definitely be returning to the Ladera one day. Maybe for an anniversary...?

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are amazing, but Paradise Ridge rooms are out of this world. Our plunge p...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!