“Luxury "Hype?" No. Noise? Yes.” 3 of 5 stars

Ladera Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Rabot Estate, Soufriere, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Soufriere
Port Chester NY
“Luxury "Hype?" No. Noise? Yes.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I honeymooned at both Cap Maison & Ladera using the "Peak to Beach" package that is offered between both hotels, except we went to Cap Maison first as opposed to Ladera. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with "Ladera punch" and a courteous staff (staff remained very good for the 3 days we stayed here). We were led to our room, "M," which was quite small compared to the photos used on Ladera's website. Despite that, my wife and I really aren't the type to complain, and were taken back by the amazing view that Ladera is known for. The first thing that caught me by surprise was the amount of noise - especially for a place that emphasizes the "welcome home" & relaxation gimmick. The maintenance shed was right outside and all we heard was sawing, hammering & banging noises, accompanied by the constant whiz of a golf cart behind the room (golf cart noise was constant throughout our stay). The in-room safe also did not work - so my wife and I went to reception to kindly ask when the construction noises would stop and if someone could assist us with the safe. The staff obliged by offering us the 2-bedroom room "F" which was absolutely amazing, with a giant pool and even better view, 2 floors, large couch and 2 bathrooms. We were stunned with the upgrade as my wife and I only expected some help with the safe in room "M."

We settled in to our room and realized that the "mini bar" that Ladera boasts so much contains no alcohol. We had an all inclusive plan which included a "fully stocked mini bar replenished daily" so we were sort of surprised when it only contained a few soda's and 2 large bottles of water. Dont get me wrong, it was still nice to have drinks on hand. They do allow you to go to the bar, order 4 bottles of Piton (the local beer) which they'll gladly put into a bag for you to carry back to your room. Sounds a bit trashy, but these rooms really do beg to be stayed in during the day and its nice to have a few drinks in the fridge.

Back to the noise. When night falls at Ladera, be VERY prepared to be a bit overwhelmed. If you are uncomfortable with free-reign lizards, giant moths, toads, or are not used to real-camping then DO NOT stay here, flat out - just dont. I thought I was prepared, but even I'll admit that I was surprised by the amount (and size) of the lizards that live in each room...however you will learn that they are your friends, and that they just want to eat the bugs that bother you. Once you get over the initial shock, Ladera becomes a bit more comfortable. It's kind of tough to relax at night due to the shear amount of noise coming from nature...mixed with the golf cart.

At times the staff was very loud outside of our room. The back of room "F" shares a wall with some sort of resort-office where the staff was very noisy in the morning. Also one morning, we awoke at 8 am to a man walking & hammering on our roof. I couldn't believe that the hotel would order a maintenance worker to do roof-work so early in the morning knowing there was someone trying to sleep below. It was things like these that made us double think about the price of the room per night.

The bugs really weren't that much of an issue, giant cans of bug killer are provided in each room along with mosquito coils that honestly do a fine job of taking care of any pesky bugs flying around you. Don't leave a light on that doesnt need to be on, just be smart about it and you'll be fine as far as bugs go. No giant spiders were spotted, just huge colorful moths, lizards, toads, and a few stinging insects that pretty much ignore you. Again, just be smart - let the lizards do what they do.

The restaurant at Ladera, Dasheene, is very expensive, however we had our meals included and only had to pay a few supplemental costs on the pricier dishes. I must say the lunch and dinner meals were wonderful - very fresh tasting and different. We found ourselves trying lots of new things and enjoying them, too. I was surprised to see the famous St. Lucian rum punch was pre-mixed and poured from a jug. I had read that Ladera prides themselves on their rum punches, yet I saw the jug that the bartender pulled from the cooler that clearly read "rum punch." The place has a huge wine list and a nice cocktail menu as well. We had drinks & snacks each evening during sunset which really capped off the day nicely...and prepared you for the night (4 Piton's to go, please).

St Lucia overall, is expensive. We ziplined at "Hotwire" (awesome) and did the "Soufriere experience" which was a tour of the local mineral baths & botanical gardens (really cool), mud baths & volcano, and a couple of water falls that were a bit underwhelming. The best time to do these things is after 1:30 PM on Saturday, as the cruise-ship crowds will have already gone. These excursions are all at an additional cost, and tips are expected vocally by most.

The beach is a bit odd, as you take a 10-12 min free shuttle to Jalousie Plantation and are herded to the "free side" (or be forced to pay US$20 for a padded lounge chair) where you will be met with stereotypical tourists ferried in via water taxi from the cruise ships. My wife and I found this pretty funny as we try to blend in/not look like a tourist as much as possible whenever we travel. Snorkeling at the Jalousie beach is incredible, I really enjoyed it.

Overall, you cant deny that Ladera is an incredible spectacle, but I must say that I wasn't expecting such a noisy place. It's just hard to relax here, which is kind of unfortunate, because once you fully drink in the view, Ladera lacks a bit. Will we visit St. Lucia again? Yes, absolutely, but we will stay at Cap Maison instead.

Room Tip: The first room they gave us was room "M," but after complaining about construction noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for visiting Ladera and sharing your comments with us. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our Dasheene restaurant and that our friendly staff enhanced your experience. We are sorry to hear about the noise outside your suite and have thus far investigated and addressed the issue with our maintenance team. For the benefit of clarification, our rum punch is freshly made every day at the bar and is kept chilled in the cooler. Our all inclusive guests also have their mini-bars replenished daily with piton beers. Once again we thank you for your feedback.
Shermael

818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pros: All rooms have a cinematographic/indescribable pitons/ocean view. The staff is so courteous and helpful. Complimentary drinks and breakfast is great. The rooms are off the chart: pools with ocean view, enormous, great couch, enormous bed and an amazing bathroom with an open air shower. They pay great attention to small details like having binoculars to watch the stars! The room comes with a manual to better enjoy the stay with all the helpful information one might need, what a great great idea.. I got in at around midnight and a fish and salad was waiting for me with the night guard. The infinity pool in the common area has a breathtaking view.

Cons: No one in the reception at night, we were greeted by the night guard so I actually had to carry some of my luggage to the room. The resort is big so maybe some bikes would be great to get around inside from the rooms to the common areas. Since the room is wide open to the nature hummingbirds will wake you up at like 6 am. If you're into nightlife/etc this is not the place for you, it is remote and isolated. It is an approximate 90 minute drive from the airport (SLU). The restaurant is crazy expensive, over US$ 100 p/ person (a good alternative is ordering the small bites from the bar or going across the street to the restaurant in le chocolat hotel).

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing you can't go wrong, but if you can choose, try to choose one closer to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Really a gorgeous, unique setting in the rain forest, beside the Piton Mts. and overlooking the Caribbean. My wife and I got "Ladera fever" and simply relaxed in our suite with its own private pool. Fabulous French-Creole cuisine from Mark Tan and the staff is so attentive and good-natured. We stayed 10 days and got to know many - Wonderful elegant servers, bar tenders and front-desk people: Isha, Al, Cynthia, Jennifer (smoothies & cocktails), Kishmer, Elizabeth, Melissa, and so many thanks to Neilbert who can do everything. Karim, the new sommelier from France, Hilka the electricity man; Lee who kept making sure we had everything and more. An operations man named Eustace is building new dream-suites with bamboo scaffolding - no big machinery on this delicate ridge. Amazing.

Room Tip: new "dream suites" opening in Feb, private pools, awesome views
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

So different from anything or anywhere we've ever stayed before. I simply could not get over the view from out of our suite! It is breathtaking as so many have described it. And it just doesn't get any more romantic. It is a must stay when going to St Lucia, we loved it! Three points you should know....1) Dasheene is wonderful and the food is very good, but pricey. Boucan across the street at Hotel Chocolat is also a must. 2) There is a fifteen minute ride down to a great beach, but as others have pointed out, you get the back row beach chairs even though you pay for them. It's ok and still worth the trip down, just expect it and don't get irritated as I initially did. 3) Avoid the "fish fry" at Anse La Raye -- Ugh! I won't beat it up as the locals are very proud, but I wish I didn't go.

Room Tip: If a suite is not in the budget, A1 is really nice!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

LADERA is a must stay. My husband and I celebrated my birthday and.honeymoon. Everything was perfect, the staff was pleasant , the food was EXCELLENT and the open view to Pitons was BREATHE TAKING. It's a place you will always remember nothing but good things, peacefullyness and tranquility. It is on our to do list again ....
Kelli Bravo-Sargeant.

• Stayed October 2012
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I had one word to describe Ladera it would be wow!

I spent many weeks researching the perfect 8 day trip in the caribbean for my fiance and I, which led me to booking 3 nights at Ladera in St. Lucia and 4 nights in Hermitage Bay in Antigua (you can read my review for this hotel as well). St. Lucia is such a gorgeous country and special in its own ways. LUSH, ROMANTIC, UNREAL, ADVENTUROUS, etc. The people of St. Lucia are so gracious, hospitable, and friendly. We always felt safe and welcomed. The country holds a special place in our hearts because it is where we got engaged on our first night at Hotel Chocolat!

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a villa. I'm not sure if it had to do with the fact that my Fiance contacted Ladera a few weeks before letting them know he was proposing. Nonetheless, the upgraded villa was unreal. The views were breathtaking. I had to open and close my eyes a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. There were SO many details in the room that made this villa unlike any other hotel. From the mosaic in the bathroom, to the carving on the columns, etc. It was just perfect.

The only con for us were the food prices. Yes, its a luxury hotel and we were on vacation, but we spent over $50 US dollars on a chicken sandwich, burger and fries. Dinner was very expensive too, over $125 for a fixed menu. A splurge here and there is fine, but just wish they had more reasonable prices. However, it also seemed to be like that at Jalouise.

I can see why people say that 3 nights is just perfect. It is open air and after the third night you might get somewhat annoyed with the mosquitos flying around and the mosquito net. It didn't seem to bother us, as we expected this type of experience. However, I am glad we didn't book 7 nights here.

The included breakfast every morning was fantastic. Every single employee of hotel we came in contact with was polite and friendly. We were taken away with the level of service. Thank you Ladera for our free bottle of champagne on the night we got engaged!

We used Christopher taxi service during our entire stay. Charles was our driver...He was fantastic! I highly recommend using this company. Just a quick recap for anyone interested in our itinerary:

Day 1: Arrived at hotel at 3pm, took in the views, used our plunge pool and went across the street at Hotel Chocolat where we got engaged.

Day 2: Hiked the Gros Piton, yes we made it to the top. Took us 4-5 hours total to go up and back. Get there early, take lots of water, sunscreen, bug repellent, snacks and your camera. When we got back to the hotel we wanted to go down to the beach, but we were just so tired. Stayed by our pool and then had dinner at Ladera's restaurant. Delicious!

Day 3: Woke up early went to Sulfur springs, the botanical garden, mud baths. We ate in town at Petit Peak which was our favorite meal in St. Lucia, they even gave our taxi driver a free meal. Then we went to the beach at Jalouise, which was very nice. Yes, the views from the beach are unbelievable, but don't expect crystal clear water.

Day 4: Breakfast, went into town to take pictures of the beautiful catholic church, and we were driven to the airport. Lots of winding roads. Made a few stops along the way to take pictures of the beautiful country.

Jalouise was beautiful, but I'm glad we chose Ladera and Hermitage Bay instead. We got to see two beautiful countries.

Hope this helps. Please message me for any questions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greeley, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from Ladera. Never have we experienced anything so perfect. It was simple and elegant with a real down-to-earth feeling. The staff was EXCEPTIONAL! They treat you like family. The rooms were beautiful and earthy. Stone, Mahogany, tile, and all open aired so the breeze at night kept you cool. It isn't for all though as we occasionally woke to a lizard on our lamp or a frog in the shower! I loved it. The plunge pools were great after a hot day at the beach or hiking the rainforest. Don't expect to be pampered to the point that you get sick of someone saying, "Can I get you anything?" That is what we loved so much, they were there to help you when you asked, but didn't bother you about things that just don't matter that much. It is a humbling experience to see how the locals live in such happiness without the material things that we take for granted. Holly and Tom (owners) were on site and so willing to help with anything. We found the entire experience exactly what we needed. Time away from the every day rush that we have, time to unwind and just relax. If it's romance, service, beauty you crave, don't bother with any of the "all-inclusive big resorts". This is the best place I've ever visited.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The hilltop rooms are bigger, but we had a gros piton and loved it just as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!